Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
All you had to say was -- I'm a protectionist, it doesn't have to do with Trump.

I have to explain all the time my concern with this administration isn't because I'm anti-Republican, I'm just anti Trump.

You may not be partisan but we can agree the majority of folks are.

SO I apologize -- didn't mean to insult you.

As for the protectionist -- meh --I have issues with protectionism. And I don't think -- unfortunately -- this President & Administration have the skill set to properly impose tariffs. It's a lack of confidence in their ability to fully understand international trade and economics.
I don't think anyone benefits from trade wars. Especially China/US, as their system lends itself much easier to protectionism. IMO if we can buy cheap we buy cheap. And then deal with any social/work issues on this end as we can.

Now if it concerns national security or War, then I would go along with some protectionism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That is true. That's WHY they are venture capitalists. They bet big-and if the bet had turned out in their favor the could have scored a 10X or greater return on their investment. Or, as in this case, they could lose everything. That is why private capitalists should be the ones taking such risks. Not the US government with taxpayer dollars. WE don't get those 10X returns if the business does well-at best the loan is paid back with a minimal amount of interest. Worst case we lose everything.
With that conventional mentality we simply get run over as China advances.

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/china-use...100-1687311350

With the military, massive infrastructure, even HC, we should learn new rules.

If China Can Fund infrastructure with Its Own Credit, So Can*We: Ellen Brown ~ Mike Norman Economics

Old 02-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
His success internationally is not exporting and importing. He sells his name to investment companies to brand hotels. That's not the same thing at all.

Being a 'successful businessman' doesn't mean you are successful at all things business. It means you have been successful in your industry.

If you were developing a hotel and golf resort -- Trump would be the man.

If you were setting up a manufacturing plant -- meh not so much.

It isn't the same skill set. It just isn't.

Unfortunately Trump has had a lousy record in the last year in who he hires and so I have little confidence in his judgement of people.

The fact he doesn't read -- disturbs me. If you rely on someone else to give you information, to summarize details...you are giving up your view point for theirs. They set the priorities. Now you can adapt and take that information and make it yours -- but by that time -- in my opinion -- it's second hand information.

International trade, tariffs, protectionism are all complicated issues that have to be well balanced. I don't trust this administration to make thoughtful decisions.

Look how many times he has flipped on the whole NAFTA thing. One day against it -- next day fixing it, next day abandoning it and now just about forgetting about the whole thing.
At least Trump 'knows debt'. And for me as a student of modern money, this beats both the Dems and Pubs. i.e. lower taxes AND more debt.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see Tillerson as president. No doubt a very smart man, with great leadership experience and experience with trade and production on the international level. And he seems to be a principled, decent person. Reminds me of Mitt Romney.

Unfortunately such a person has ZERO chance of winning a presidential election with the media machine we have these days.
Ah, Romney! A much more reasonable businessman/candidate than Trump. Should be interesting next election if the Dems come up empty handed.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
All you had to say was -- I'm a protectionist, it doesn't have to do with Trump.

I have to explain all the time my concern with this administration isn't because I'm anti-Republican, I'm just anti Trump.

You may not be partisan but we can agree the majority of folks are.

SO I apologize -- didn't mean to insult you.

As for the protectionist -- meh --I have issues with protectionism. And I don't think -- unfortunately -- this President & Administration have the skill set to properly impose tariffs. It's a lack of confidence in their ability to fully understand international trade and economics.
It’s ok. I wasn’t really insulted. I just wanted to set the record straight.

In my lifetime, I have listened to economists explain why protectionism was bad, and why it was good to open up trade with third world countries. It always seemed counterintuitive to me. I mean, if you take one really good economy and blend it with a really bad economy, no doubt the bad economy will get better, but common sense tells me the good economy will get worse so they can meet somewhere in the middle.

I think this is the goal of many economists, only on a global scale. A one world economy. End global poverty and even the playing field between all countries, eventually making separate countries unnecessary. It sounds all nice and kumbayaish, but in the process, the citizens of the first world countries are going to have to pay for it. They don’t tell you that though. In fact the opposite. They tell you that free trade is good for you. They come up with all sorts of rationales and scenarios to make it sound good for the middle class, while their other hand is stabbing them in the back.

People were blind not to see that coming, then the recession hit and people couldn’t ignore it anymore, because it was here. Their old quality of life was gone, and here we are with the new normal.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Someone needs to figure out how people living in apartment buildings can have solar power if the landlord doesn't want to convert the building.
If you don't like what your building offes, MOVE.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see Tillerson as president. No doubt a very smart man, with great leadership experience and experience with trade and production on the international level. And he seems to be a principled, decent person. Reminds me of Mitt Romney.

Unfortunately such a person has ZERO chance of winning a presidential election with the media machine we have these days.
It's not just the media machine. Americans need some kind of 'character'...gimmick.

Sure the media picks up on that -- because their consumers react to it.

We have to stop blaming the media and acknowledge -- we the people are the ones who steer them.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
My state would not allow me to sell my excess solar electricity back to the grid.

The day they they do, this old woman will install solar even though I will not live to see the payback.

I do care about the environment. But, those electricity producers are a bunch of low life trash. DD quit her job in the executive offices due to the immoral behavior of her superiors. Plus they pissed off consumers money like it was pop corn.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I’m all for free markets in this country, but I dont see a need for free markets that involve third world countries. That is just a race to the bottom for the first world countries. We dont need to equalize our economy with theirs. Hasn’t the last 30 years taught us anything? The standard of living has gone up tremendously in China, as our standard of living has gone down. How is that good for America?

Prices go up, but more people here will have good jobs, so they can pay a little more. No big deal.
Of course it's a big deal. Who in the world is all for paying higher prices except someone with a childish view of the world. Next time you receive a quote for a job go ahead and pay 10 percent more since you're so concerned with people making more money.

By all means, lets raise prices on everything so the workers can make more money.

Now that I have less money because I paid for solar which costs more, I don't have money to spend elsewhere. How is that good for America?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-24-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Paying a few more bucks for American made products that are made here is the right thing to do.
It's about a quality product for a fair price. You want to over pay go right ahead but don't think for a minute that others have the same twisted view on value as you do.
Spend more on solar panels so now people have less to spend on other products. Since when does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
BTW, welfare recipients aren't getting solar panels.
BTW that was an example of how the economy isn't doing well. Why are you commenting when you cannot understand a simple statement?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-24-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies