Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Perhaps it would be worth considering that there are extreme discriminatory practices in the social and civil institutions that perpetuate victim culture by, well, creating victims.
Being victimized and deciding to remain a victim are two different things. Some, that have opportunities, choose to remain victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:07 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I read an interesting study where Asian women were administered math tests. The hour before the test, one group was asked to reflect on their life as women. That group did poorly compared to the control group.

The other group was asked to reflect on their lives as Asians. That group scored higher than the control group.

Mind you, the participants otherwise had similar backgrounds and overall levels of aptitude.

Just some food for thought...

Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 AM

10,726 posts, read 4,334,730 times
Justice Judy is my favorite, she destroys the wimps.
If you cry on her show you'll be reducing your chances of winning.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Here is some nighttime reading for you to educate yourself In his childhood........
You are wrong in this area.
I do believe you frothed at the key board without knowing anything in this area.

https://www.oyez.org/justices/clarence_thomas

Clarence Thomas is known for his quiet, stoic demeanor during oral arguments and his conservative viewpoint that challenges, if not surpasses, even Scalia’s originalism. Thomas was born in a small town outside of Savannah, Georgia on June 23, 1948. His father left him, his older sister, and his mother two years later. His mother struggled to make ends meet as a single working mother, especially after giving birth to another son after Thomas' father left. After a fire left his family homeless, Thomas was sent to live with his maternal grandfather. Thomas’ grandfather was his most influential role model. He ran several of his own businesses and instilled in Thomas a sense of discipline and strength. When Thomas was sixteen, he fought to earn admittance into a boarding school seminary to pursue his dream of becoming a Catholic priest. He was the first black student admitted to St. John Vianney and felt the pressure of being the sole representative of his race during his time there. Thomas had excellent grades but struggled with the racially charged bullying he endured. In 1967, Thomas entered Conception Seminary at the college level. At this stage in his education, Thomas struggled with the passive stance the Catholic Church had taken in addressing civil rights. He decided to abandon his dream of becoming a priest soon after Martin Luther King, Jr.’s assassination in 1968.

Thomas transferred to College of the Holy Cross and graduated in 1971 with a bachelor’s degree in English Literature and a passion for civil rights that drove him to pursue a career in law. He attended Yale Law School as one of the first students to benefit from the open admissions program that offered positions to black students in all-white colleges. Years later, Thomas would grow to abhor affirmative action, as hiring partners and other white colleagues would credit his accomplishments not to hard work and dedication, but to the color of his skin and the measures schools took to recruit black students. Upon graduation, Thomas began working in the office of the Missouri Attorney General after being admitted to the Missouri bar in 1974. In 1977, he worked for Senator John C. Danforth as his legislative assistant. After four years working with Danforth, President Reagan appointed Thomas as the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education. A year later, Reagan propelled his career even further by appointing him Chairman of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. By this point in Thomas’ life, he was still living with severe debt from student loans, an issue made worse by his addiction to alcohol. Once Thomas decided he could no longer afford to drink as he did, he quit drinking all together. Thomas served at the EEOC for eight years, and in 1990, President George H. W. Bush nominated Thomas to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia circuit.
Clarence Thomas WAS NOT POOR! He went to live with grandparents at a very young age! His grandfather was a relatively well off man who owned two businesses and had enough money to send him to prestigious private schools in the area. He received a Holy Cross education as a result of not being forced to attend crappy underfunded segregated schools in Savannah. He was the only black child in his classes when he attended grade school.

So again, don’t give me this bootstrap nonsense. It’s a false narrative.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Conservatives have no moral authority to complain about victim culture. The evangelicals are some of the most sensitive snowflakes in existence yet for some reason they get a pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9Fd2wtX20

Old 02-21-2018, 02:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I read an interesting study where Asian women were administered math tests. The hour before the test, one group was asked to reflect on their life as women. That group did poorly compared to the control group.

The other group was asked to reflect on their lives as Asians. That group scored higher than the control group.

Mind you, the participants otherwise had similar backgrounds and overall levels of aptitude.

Just some food for thought...
Curious -- I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Are we saying that thinking of life as a woman tends to bring people down on tests whereas life as an Asian means they are likely to score higher falling into stereotypes?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Worn down? Okay! Too bad he didn't retire two or three years ago.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Clarence Thomas WAS NOT POOR! He went to live with grandparents at a very young age! His grandfather was a relatively well off man who owned two businesses and had enough money to send him to prestigious private schools in the area. He received a Holy Cross education as a result of not being forced to attend crappy underfunded segregated schools in Savannah. He was the only black child in his classes when he attended grade school.

So again, don’t give me this bootstrap nonsense. It’s a false narrative.
So you're admitting blacks could be well off and privilegedeven in the 1950s? I knew that. They're still complaining and making demands 60 years later. Clarence Thomas is probably my favorite justice right now.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So you're admitting blacks could be well off and privilegedeven in the 1950s? I knew that. They're still complaining and making demands 60 years later. Clarence Thomas is probably my favorite justice right now.
There have been wealthy blacks in America since blacks have been in America. That’s not some new revelation. What the hell is wrong with you?

I have never made any case for poverty being the natural state of existence for African Americans. If anything, that’s what YOU think. I ain’t never been broke.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You could benefit from a lot more reading. Relying on sound bytes and stereotypes doesn’t cast a good light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies