U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM

1,917 posts, read 815,620 times

Advertisements

This is a research project for people that want to get rid of them. What are the odds of being killed in America with an automatic weapon and what are the odds of dying by cancer, car wrecks, heart disease, etc.... ALOT more people are killed by normal guns. My point is that way too much attention and effort is being put towards something that probably isn't even a top 100 cause of death in America. Why!!??

Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 8,452,406 times
The odds don't matter.

What were the odds of the USA being hit by an atomic bomb in the 50s?

Kids still had to go into the hall and put their heads in their knees. It was scary then and I'm sure seeing the news now is scary.

When businesses are giving training for how to avoid getting shot at work, it is scary.

When people have to plan their escape route upon entering a movie or grocery store, it is scary.

Don't talk to me about odds. My grown kid was one floor down from the guy who shot all those Dallas cops.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:52 PM

5,908 posts, read 2,027,819 times
Really only the police and military have assault weapons. No Assault weapon owned by a private person (typically owned by collectors and gun dealers) has ever been shown to have been used in a mass shooting, so that leaves just the police and military as perpetrators, meaning your odds are the same as being shot by the police, roughly, since all of them carry assault weapons.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The odds don't matter.

What were the odds of the USA being hit by an atomic bomb in the 50s?

Kids still had to go into the hall and put their heads in their knees. It was scary then and I'm sure seeing the news now is scary.

When businesses are giving training for how to avoid getting shot at work, it is scary.

When people have to plan their escape route upon entering a movie or grocery store, it is scary.

Don't talk to me about odds. My grown kid was one floor down from the guy who shot all those Dallas cops.
The odds do matter because it proves that all this uproar is not based in logic and facts and attention, time, and resources are being wasted on this discussion. And I have not ever received training on how to escape getting shot at work or had to plan an escape route. Nor do I need to. More evidence that logic and facts are not being used.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 PM

16,600 posts, read 14,091,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
This is a research project for people that want to get rid of them. What are the odds of being killed in America with an automatic weapon and what are the odds of dying by cancer, car wrecks, heart disease, etc.... ALOT more people are killed by normal guns. My point is that way too much attention and effort is being put towards something that probably isn't even a top 100 cause of death in America. Why!!??
Well we don't really know because congress (backed by the NRA) prevents the CDC from doing any real research into those sorts of questions. So instead all research on these topics is flawed from the get go.

As for why, because AR-15s have been disproportionately used in school shootings.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM

32,492 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Quote:
the odds of being killed by an automatic weapon is even less than that of being killed by an AR15, which is in fact a semi auto weapon.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well we don't really know because congress (backed by the NRA) prevents the CDC from doing any real research into those sorts of questions. So instead all research on these topics is flawed from the get go.

As for why, because AR-15s have been disproportionately used in school shootings.
But being killed in a school shooting is rare. Again, what are the odds? And how many people are killed with normal guns in comparison? And if you "don't know", then how can you have a strong opinion on something you "don't know"? You are dancing around my questions.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM

22,348 posts, read 9,497,913 times
Quote:
And what are the odds of being killed by a terrorist or extremist muslim or a muslim refugee? One in 3.6 billion.

And yet? A travel ban.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
And what are the odds of being killed by a terrorist or extremist muslim?
They are very low. And I feel the same about that as well.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:01 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,244,863 times
Quote:
But being killed in a school shooting is rare. Again, what are the odds? And how many people are killed with normal guns in comparison? And if you "don't know", then how can you have a strong opinion on something you "don't know"? You are dancing around my questions.
It's not the odds, it's the not knowing if it is going to happen or not to you or a loved one today. The fear of the unknown and preparing for it is a big part of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or