Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Sorry Libs. Legally owned guns, owned by the law abiding, including the very popular AR-15 aren't going anywhere. So stop sputtering.
So you're saying an 18 year old kid should be able to buy 10 rifles? He's having the police called to his house routinely, has issues at school and is posting things on social media that should have attracted the LEOs attention, but you're good with Cruz stockpiling guns?

Part of gun control is to make it harder for people like this creep in Florida from getting guns. No one is coming for any gun already legally owned. Unless they get arrested for domestic violence or lose the rights to their guns. This is not mass confiscation. This is sensible gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Still waiting to hear from one of you liberal geniuses exactly what the great Obama did about guns after Sandy Hook.....

Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Still waiting to hear from one of you liberal geniuses exactly what the great Obama did about guns after Sandy Hook.....
You made me curious by your question. I do remember talk but not a whole lot more......and then I found all this.
Obama didn't do enough but no president has since the NRA changed its primary mandate late in the 70's.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ol-mass-shoot/
Sandy Hook Anniversary: These Are the Gun Control Laws That Have Failed Since the Newtown Shooting

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/node/193271

https://www.thoughtco.com/obama-gun-...ngress-3367595

Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you're saying an 18 year old kid should be able to buy 10 rifles? Yes. As an adult, there is not reason to deny him his Constitutional rights. He's having the police called to his house routinely, has issues at school and is posting things on social media that should have attracted the LEOs attention, but you're good with Cruz stockpiling guns? No, not good with it. But "an 18 year old" that's never done anything wrong shouldn't be denied his rights. Cruz is a different issue. Not a gun issue. An issue with how the FBI, law enforcement and schools deal with threats of this nature.

Part of gun control is to make it harder for people like this creep in Florida from getting guns. Gun control that keeps people "not" like this creep from getting guns is unconstitutional. No one is coming for any gun already legally owned. OK, so what if they own a gun, and now they start acting like this guy? Unless they get arrested for domestic violence innocent until proven guilty is still in place, so just getting arrested should never cause someone to lose their weapons or lose the rights to their guns after due process, right? What exactly would be the act that would cause someone to lose the rights to their guns? Be specific. This is not mass confiscation. This is sensible gun laws.
Nothing sensible about calling for gun control, while ignoring the fact that authorities were handed this guy on a silver platter - name, location, specific threats he made - yet they failed to follow protocol.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Let me get this straight, so you actually do care?
Care about what? A report saying America is the worst as compared to other countries? I could care less about that.

I only concern myself with the issue itself not comparing it to any other country. There seems to be an increase in mass shootings as of late, that's all. And that is something I care about, but offer up no solution to the problem because I don't have one.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/27401...aign=mattwalsh

WOW, you would never know mass shootings ever happened anywhere but there if you believe the MSM.
Your article puts Noway at #1 spot.

There has been one shooting in Norway....ever.

Don't believe all the alt-right nonsense out there in the internet. Be smart and realize when people are cooking the numbers.

They say US is the worst, because it is true.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:49 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/27401...aign=mattwalsh

WOW, you would never know mass shootings ever happened anywhere but there if you believe the MSM.
Whoa! Mexico is no longer slaughtering teachers and students and anyone else. No one being burned to death of hacked to pieces or beheaded?

How does Mexico get a free pass and no UN troops to stop the slaughter?

Gangs and drugs and career criminals commit mass murders daily in Baltimore and Chicago, the sanctuary city, maybe they are counted as mass shooting?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I thought population size had to be taken into account when comparing countries?

I mean, that's what people say if you suggest implementing universal healthcare or anything else actually beneficial.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM

937 posts, read 926,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
deflection attempt denied
... How is that a deflection?
That's a comparison to other countries... Which is completely relevant.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Good lord. One more time:

There actually has been one since 1996. There has also been a huge increase in mass killings by other means, such as fire, stabbings, beatings and vehicles. Because of that, the number of people killed in mass killings has remained almost unchanged since then. Australia is a perfect example of "it's not the gun".

I also think I saw where there are more privately owned guns in Australia now than before the gun grab.
Probably so, but they are all bolt action, pump, and lever action rifles and shotguns. Australia eliminated the weapons of choice for mass shooters, e.g. all self-loading firearms and all handguns except for those carried in the line of duty. They feel quite safe there now.

The one you are speaking of is probably the one in 2014 which began as a hostage situation. The gunman was carrying a pump shotgun, and shot one hostage. One more was killed by police fire when the cafe was stormed.

The seige was one of 13 total mass killings in Australia since 1996 including the Port Arthur Massacre, killing 114 and wounding 67. Not bad for a country of 24 million people over 22 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_S...hostage_crisis

The United States had 346 mass shootings in 2017 alone, killing 590 people and wounding 1981. There were 384 in 2016, killing 606 and wounding 1781.

https://www.abc15.com/news/data/mass...curred-in-2017

Draw your own conclusions about who has the right idea to minimize them.

Last edited by cuebald; 02-22-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies