Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No she was assigning blame to the police and FBI, she didnt tell us anything we didnt already know. Missing from her speech was anything meaningful forth coming from the NRA other than putting more guns in schools. Nothing on expanding background checks, raising the age.
If you are old enough to legally have sex, you are old enough to buy a gun and vote.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-22-2018 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
We had a ten year ban on assault rifles from 1994-2004. No change in death rate.
We have three times as many mass killings compared to the ban years (excluding gang shoot outs)

Or maybe it has nothing to do with it. It's the music, the movies.....

The NRA speech, and the tone of the speech was really bad timing.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-22-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 01:58 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Total nonsense. By that logic lets take away the 1st amendment because freedom of speech today involves a lot of lies, bullying, etc which creates a lot of problems to start with. They didn't have the internet and social media, it's a different world than the 1700's right?
NO ONE needs an automatic assault weapons of 21St century war to protect themselves in today's society in America. And NO ONE wants a country to turn into one.
It is fantasy land video game mental illness.

The gun lobby is the tobacco industry of old.
They are on the way out due to their extremism and being soooooo out of touch with reality.

If you want to own a weapon that can cut down scores of people in one sweep ... THAT is mental illness.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
If you want to own a weapon that can cut down scores of people in one sweep ... THAT is mental illness.
like.. an automobile?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
like.. an automobile?

Is that what an automobile is designed for? Do tell me, what was a semi-automatic weapon designed for?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
NO ONE needs an automatic assault weapons of 21St century war to protect themselves in today's society in America. And NO ONE wants a country to turn into one.
It is fantasy land video game mental illness.

The gun lobby is the tobacco industry of old.
They are on the way out due to their extremism and being soooooo out of touch with reality.

automatic weapons, for all intents and purposes, have been banned in the U.S. since 1934.

This debate is silliness in any case. The gun is really just a dispenser; 90% of what makes guns dangerous resides in the cartridge. It would be as if we banned the fancy electronic cigarette machines that began to appear around the 1980's, and required going back to the mechanical, manually-powered machines that were around in my childhood. Such a requirement would have had an effectiveness of exactly ZERO.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Is that what an automobile is designed for? Do tell me, what was a semi-automatic weapon designed for?
Fallacious argument. Bayonets are designed for killing. Machetes are designed for clearing vegetation. Should we therefore restrict bayonets, but not machetes? Personally I'd much rather face a madman with a bayonet than with a machete.

Design intent is irrelevant. What matters is how an implement can be used.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There is no perfect solution that will prevent every injury or death. Many people across the country are arming teachers and others that are willing to confront evil and protect kids in school. All teachers are not some weak bookworm types. They have a full range of abilities and experiences and if they are willing to step up and be the last defense against evil, then they should be supported. As individuals they can chose.
"Weak bookworm types"? really? You know what a teachers job is? Their job is to teach, not be policeman. I had great teachers in school who imparted knowledge to me and other students, I certainly never expected them to fire at other students. I don't want them trained to do that. What I want is metal detectors and locked doors.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What is alcohol designed for?

AR15 was designed for hunting and sporting purpose.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:21 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
"Weak bookworm types"? really? You know what a teachers job is? Their job is to teach, not be policeman. I had great teachers in school who imparted knowledge to me and other students, I certainly never expected them to fire at other students. I don't want them trained to do that. What I want is metal detectors and locked doors.
You must not live in the Midwest. MANY teachers have conceal carry permits, hunt, target practice, and display excellent marksmanship.
How are your locked doors and metal detectors going to help kids on the playground? Are we enclosing them in a dome now? What about city and neighborhood pools this summer?
What are your solutions for those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies