Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,439,845 times

Advertisements

I think we all do a disservice to the memory and legacy of Aaron Feis when we talk in hypotheticals about what he may have done if he had been armed last week. What he actually did do is awe-inspiring. He is rightly being called a hero for shielding kids from bullets. To say maybe he could have done more insults the bravery he showed that day in my mind. When the initial calls about the shooting came through the school’s walkie-talkie, he went from outside the school to inside the school. He saved lives that day and gave his own.

We should also remember Geography teacher Scott Beigel who saved students from the gunman when he helped them get in a locked classroom. He died for his heroism, too.

I can't find a lot of information of athletic director Chris Hixon. He apparently coached a variety of sports at the school. An athletic director at another high school called him one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Ray Corniel, a wrestler, said Hixon would treat the student-athletes as if “we were his own children and just watch over us, let us learn about life lessons.”

If I remember correctly, all three had wives and children. They leave behind a lot of friends as well, but also some kids at that high school who will miss them

Not all the heroes were teachers. Somehow we mainly hear about Aaron Feis. I don't mean to suggest this was the only student hero, but Peter Wang was last seen holding the door open so that others could escape, his cousin, Aaron Chen, told the Miami Herald.

An awful tragedy hit Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Sometimes in our haste to make political points, we forget these were real people with stories to tell and lives to lead. I am not above that either. But it hit me when I ran across the link below and I put myself in the place of their friends and loved ones and cannot imagine what they are going through now.

Can we try to keep our opinions out of this thread? I hope some of you read it. You don't have to respond to it

Parkland shooting victims include young students, coach who saved others in Florida high school | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 AM

51,583 posts, read 25,576,656 times
Indeed.

Was Peter Wang the ROTC student who was accepted to West Point after?

Old 02-23-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Was Peter Wang the ROTC student who was accepted to West Point after?
Yes. That was him. Courageous young man

Old 02-23-2018, 02:38 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,553,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I think we all do a disservice to the memory and legacy of Aaron Feis when we talk in hypotheticals about what he may have done if he had been armed last week. What he actually did do is awe-inspiring. He is rightly being called a hero for shielding kids from bullets. To say maybe he could have done more insults the bravery he showed that day in my mind. When the initial calls about the shooting came through the school’s walkie-talkie, he went from outside the school to inside the school. He saved lives that day and gave his own.

We should also remember Geography teacher Scott Beigel who saved students from the gunman when he helped them get in a locked classroom. He died for his heroism, too.

I can't find a lot of information of athletic director Chris Hixon. He apparently coached a variety of sports at the school. An athletic director at another high school called him one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Ray Corniel, a wrestler, said Hixon would treat the student-athletes as if “we were his own children and just watch over us, let us learn about life lessons.”

If I remember correctly, all three had wives and children. They leave behind a lot of friends as well, but also some kids at that high school who will miss them

Not all the heroes were teachers. Somehow we mainly hear about Aaron Feis. I don't mean to suggest this was the only student hero, but Peter Wang was last seen holding the door open so that others could escape, his cousin, Aaron Chen, told the Miami Herald.

An awful tragedy hit Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Sometimes in our haste to make political points, we forget these were real people with stories to tell and lives to lead. I am not above that either. But it hit me when I ran across the link below and I put myself in the place of their friends and loved ones and cannot imagine what they are going through now.

Can we try to keep our opinions out of this thread? I hope some of you read it. You don't have to respond to it

Parkland shooting victims include young students, coach who saved others in Florida high school | Fox News
What hypocrisy !!! Asking others to do what you couldn't do.

You want special privilege for your opinion and you want it unopposed.

Did CNN write the scripted post ? One hero left out was Colton Haab and the courage he has to tell his story.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What hypocrisy !!! Asking others to do what you couldn't do.

You want special privilege for your opinion and you want it unopposed.

Did CNN write the scripted post ? One hero left out was Colton Haab and the courage he has to tell his story.
Thank you for your reply. Have a great day. Or, like my former governor would say, Bless your heart!

Old 02-23-2018, 02:52 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,553,489 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Have a great day. Or, like my former governor would say, Bless your heart!

Colton Haab was a hero that day and continues to be a living hero.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ed_guards.html

Old 02-23-2018, 02:53 AM

9,129 posts, read 5,769,933 times
Quote:
Geography teacher Scott Beigel, 35, saved students from the gunman when he helped them enter a locked classroom. In his bravery, he sacrificed his life.

An assistant football coach and security guard, Aaron Feis used his own body to shield students as gunfire rang out in the school, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School football team said on social media.
While Officer Scott Peterson "Took up a position" outside and waited for police to show up.
I wish that Mr. Feis had been armed.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 894,539 times
Quote:

Nobody is saying that he should've done more as no one is blaming him. However what people ARE saying is that he could've done more if he was allowed to carry.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:34 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,378,977 times
It sucks that the people who helped stop other folks from dying in a school shooting tend to get overlooked. It's in part because of the debate on how we could have stopped a school shooting and the issue of gun control.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,739,479 times
Thanks for the post, Joe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies