Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,940,741 times

Advertisements

I had nothing against the man personally, but Billy Graham was a private citizen and religious figure not a politician, so why is he being afforded a priviledge normally reserved for Presidents and National political leaders?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 AM

38,610 posts, read 26,256,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I had nothing against the man personally, but Billy Graham was a private citizen and religious figure not a politician, so why is he being afforded a priviledge normally reserved for Presidents and National political leaders?
Why was Rosa Parks afforded the same courtesy?

FTR, I'll take either one over any of the presidents we've had in recent decades.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:35 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,578,227 times
Separation of church and state? You mean the Ku Klux Klan produced Supreme Court ruling? (Look up the KKK and their anti-Catholic stance and hence desire to get rid of prayer in schools to attack Catholics (and I'm Protestant, not Catholic, so I don't have a pro-Catholic agenda. Indeed, I've called out the Catholic "church" many times for their many recent pro-globalist stances.) via their lawyer turned Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black.

BTW, that ruling likely has more to do with the Florida shooting than the NRA.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:44 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,437,309 times
Lord knows I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but I don't think I have to be to know that the phrase "Separation of Church and State" isn't it in. Having the body of Billy Graham lie in repose does not infringe of the First Amendment because he was a pastor anymore than having the body of Rosa Parks lie in repose because of her religion. Afterall, like you said, he was a private citizen.

Quote:
The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition. It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices. It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely. It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government."

Old 02-23-2018, 12:49 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,578,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Lord knows I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but I don't think I have to be to know that the phrase "Separation of Church and State" isn't it in. Having the body of Billy Graham lie in repose does not infringe of the First Amendment because he was a pastor anymore than having the body of Rosa Parks lie in repose because of her religion. Afterall, like you said, he was a private citizen.
It wasn't in ours, but it WAS in the Old Soviet constitution, which is where the Left got it from, no doubt. After all, back then it was COOL to collude with Russians if you were a Leftist, right Ted Kennedy?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:50 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,437,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
It wasn't in ours, but it WAS in the Old Soviet constitution, which is where the Left got it from, no doubt. After all, back then it was COOL to collude with Russians if you were a Leftist, right Ted Kennedy?
Odd how a question about a man commonly called America's Pastor becomes a time to whack the opposing political party for some folks.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,045,362 times
Meh, I suppose he’s as worthy as anyone else.

I’m certainly no fan of any religious leaders, but he did have an exalted place in the culture, although I’ll never really understand why.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,683,351 times
so the man who provided spiritual council for EVERY president from truman to obama among other things shouldnt lie in state? you might want to read up on him;

Quote:
Graham was a spiritual adviser to American presidents and provided spiritual counsel for every president from Harry Truman to Barack Obama.[5] He was particularly close to Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon B. Johnson (one of Graham's closest friends),[6] and Richard Nixon.[7] He insisted on racial integration for his revivals and crusades in 1953 and invited Martin Luther King Jr. to preach jointly at a revival in New York City in 1957. Graham bailed King out of jail in the 1960s when King was arrested during demonstrations. He was also lifelong friends with another televangelist, the founding pastor of the Crystal Cathedral, Robert H. Schuller, whom Graham talked into starting his own television ministry.[8
from this page;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham

gicen what the man has accomplished in life, i think he deserves that honor.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,125,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Really? You have nothing else to complain about?

Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,544,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Um...

Um...

Um...

You do realize that our Constitution rather predates that of the old Soviet's, right?

Tell the truth now: your posts are satire, aren't they? Come on, you can admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies