Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:34 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Again, given that gun control laws are not perfect - a core part of the right's crusade to get rid of all gun control laws - by definition, increasing the number of guns in circulation is simply going to result in more potential violence. That is simple math. If for every 100 guns sold, 1 gets into the hands of a loon who will kill with it, putting thousands of guns in the hands of teachers simply means at some point a dangerous person will now be able to bring a gun into a target-rich environment.

There is no excuse for this idiotic "solution." Progressives and "hard-left gun hating liberals" (all few dozens of them) understand this is a dumb idea, but the far-right, by their own admission of the imperfection of gun laws and gun vetting, also condemns the idea... even if they are not smart enough to realize that.
ironic that the last words in the sentence before the bolded were 'simple math'

maybe you meant 'simpleton math'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

3 years ago?

Just using the leftist tactic here...

Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Arming Teachers is one of the stupidest ideas.

My child's school teachers are a 70+ year old math teacher, two young ladies under 25, a pregnant English and pregnant music teacher and a thin small history teacher. Only the science teacher is big and looks capable of handling a gun.

Trying to give them a gun, train them and ask them to shoot under difficult situations is lunacy. And where would they keep the gun in the class while teaching. If they keep it locked it is of no use. If it is kep easily accessible and it taken by a student to shoot others in class who will be responsible. Will other teachers come from the other classrooms with their guns blazing

And what happens when you go for lunch or go to the car pool line. Do you carry guns there.

My mind boggles that this stupidest of stupid idea.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:18 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post

My child's school teachers are a 70+ year old math teacher, two young ladies under 25, a pregnant English and pregnant music teacher and a thin small history teacher. Only the science teacher is big and looks capable of handling a gun.

Trying to give them a gun, train them and ask them to shoot under difficult situations is lunacy. And where would they keep the gun in the class while teaching. If they keep it locked it is of no use. If it is kep easily accessible and it taken by a student to shoot others in class who will be responsible. Will other teachers come from the other classrooms with their guns blazing

And what happens when you go for lunch or go to the car pool line. Do you carry guns there.

Then harden the school and hire security like every other 21st century important public place

Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the author is certain that teachers will wantonly mow down only brown and black students. you really think that's 'bound to happen'?
I didn't read your article so I have no comment on what was said but yes, I do think if teachers are armed, sooner or later a student or another teacher for that matter could get shot for any odd reason whether by accident, feeling threatened or on purpose. There was one incident where this woman was shot while sitting at a restaurant enjoying dinner when some gun nut's gun accidently discharged. There are some cops that have itchy trigger fingers. What makes you think there won't be some teachers that will have itchy trigger fingers?

Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Then harden the school and hire security like every other 21st century important public place
Are we having prisons or schools.

How much security is sufficient? When one police officer with a gun is unable to do anything. Should we have 10 + police officers per school. Who will pay for the increased costs when the taxes are going up and the poor don't pay the county taxes in sufficient amount.

I don't have the answers but know arming teachers is a stupid idea, based on the teachers who teach my kid.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
And you'll be the first to complain about your taxes going up, to pay for "more unnecessary gubmint regulations"!

And who will insure these teachers if something goes wrong and a child or another teacher is injured or killed and a multimillion lawsuit is brought up.

The school district does nto have money for that kind of insurance.

1,978 posts, read 1,552,557 times
Quote:

Your mind is boggled because it is easily boggled. So what if all the people you mentioned can't carry a handgun, there are plenty or a few teachers that are ready, willing and able. If the world was full of the type of people you describe we probably would be well on our way back to the pond scum stage.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:25 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Are we having prisons or schools.

How much security is sufficient? When one police officer with a gun is unable to do anything. Should we have 10 + police officers per school. Who will pay for the increased costs when the taxes are going up and the poor don't pay the county taxes in sufficient amount.

I don't have the answers but know arming teachers is a stupid idea, based on the teachers who teach my kid.
How much is your kid worth to you? Do you consider a job that you walk into that has armed security a prison? A courthouse? The Capitol Building? Any state building? A bank? These arguments against NOT protecting the schools is foolish and insane. I don't really care though, I have no kids so it doesn't bother me if parents don't want to do what's right and their kids suffer..Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies