Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

More proof that CNN sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Remember: Baker refuses to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, and the far-right loves it, trumpeting the rights of companies to do whatever they want.

Then, right-wing extremists sites like infowars and stormfront get shut down by the companies who host them, and the far-right throws a fit. Apparently, big business only has a right to enforce right-wing viewpoints.
Firstly Stormfront's domain was temporarily confiscated by their domain registrar, this is something that should never occur. If you do not have control of it you are done, there is no option B. I haven't followed it but hopefully they get sued and ICANN takes action against them. Anybody that understand the technical aspects of what happened to them and is reasonable is going to agree.

There was another site called the Dailystormer, this was fronted by a service called Cloudflare. It's a widely used service and in the Daily Stormer's case the most important service they provide is DDOS protection. Here is what the CEO had to say about their termination:

Quote:
I woke up this morning in a bad mood and decided to kick them off the Internet. I called our legal team and told them what we were going to do. I called our Trust & Safety team and had them stop the service. It was a decision I could make because I’m the CEO of a major Internet infrastructure company.

Having made that decision we now need to talk about why it is so dangerous. I’ll be posting something on our blog later today. Literally, I woke up in a bad mood and decided someone shouldn’t be allowed on the Internet. No one should have that power.
Bold and underline is mine. Here is section of the follow up blog post.

Quote:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-t...daily-stormer/
Increasing Dependence On A Few Giant Networks

In a not-so-distant future, if we're not there already, it may be that if you're going to put content on the Internet you'll need to use a company with a giant network like Cloudflare, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, or Alibaba.

For context, Cloudflare currently handles around 10% of Internet requests.

Without a clear framework as a guide for content regulation, a small number of companies will largely determine what can and cannot be online.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
If only ignorance were illegal then infowars would get the electric chair for being king of BS mountain.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:06 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Though I disagree with Alex Jones it may be time to find a youtube alternative because once a small independent and free organization gets big and attracts globalists, in comes the censorship.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Infowars is trying to get shut down so they can get conservatives all worked up and feeling victimized.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly Stormfront's domain was temporarily confiscated by their domain registrar, this is something that should never occur. If you do not have control of it you are done, there is no option B. I haven't followed it but hopefully they get sued and ICANN takes action against them. Anybody that understand the technical aspects of what happened to them and is reasonable is going to agree.
That's all well and good, but that is not relevant to the discussion at hand, which is about YouTube deciding not to continue giving a voice to Info Wars, a crackpot, right-wing conspiracy theory group.

There is no rule that any company out there MUST act as a media outlet for whatever crap a given group conspiracy nuts or extremists is peddling. Freedom of speech does not mean somebody must provide you with a media platform on which one can spew bigotry and idiocy. THAT is the point here - the far-right is all up in arms about a private company deciding they have enough of the fake news crap Info Wars is spewing, and is no longer hosting their nonsense. This is the same far-right that will defend to the last a "religious" baker's right to deny creating wedding cakes for gay couples.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. It's a free market, and if Info Wars wasn't peddling crap, maybe YouTube wouldn't be dropping them.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
In their newest conspiracy that the school shootings are politically set up by the left to start gun control, infowars has made claims that the victims in multiple school shootings are actually actors and not victims. One video has already been shut down and 3 more are currently being reviewed. YouTube has a 3 strike rule, break their policies 3 times within 3 months and you get banned. According to YouTube, and anyone with half a brain, infowars has been pushing faux news that the victims are actually crisis actors with a political agenda, even going so far as claiming the school shootings are being set up by the far left.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/in...rnd/index.html

With 3 other videos currently under review, it seems like infowars has a good chance to get shut down on YouTube. I’m glad to see their rampant false conspiracies are finally being taken seriously. I see infowars narratives being pushed frequently on CD and it will be nice that they have one less place to make their voices heard.
YouTube is sjw. Alt right mgtow, centrist and even pro black channels are going to be taken down.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:44 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Youtube leaves up terrorist videos but goes after conservative channels. Tells you all you need to know, really.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
There is no rule that any company out there MUST act as a media outlet for whatever crap a given group conspiracy nuts or extremists is peddling. Freedom of speech does not mean somebody must provide you with a media platform on which one can spew bigotry and idiocy. THAT is the point here -
I agree with this in principle but as noted by the Cloudflare CEO one man should not be that powerful.

Quote:
Literally, I woke up in a bad mood and decided someone shouldn’t be allowed on the Internet.
If you have not read the blog post by him I'd suggest doing so. He makes a lot of important points about this.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-t...daily-stormer/

These large companies have a lot of power to decide what content is available, where is the line drawn? This is particularly important with ISP's, Net Neutrality which is something I have always supported would have prevented Verizon from blocking access to Infowars. Should they be able to do that now that they can?

The irony is I'm sure there is plenty of "information" on infowars criticizing NN.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-24-2018 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Youtube leaves up terrorist videos but goes after conservative channels. Tells you all you need to know, really.
It’s a shame that Infowars is called conservative, most conservatives I know see it for what it is. It’s absolutely nonsense and they try to legitimize their site with a few actual journalistic articles.

There is no attack on conservative voices, PragerU had one video deleted, all the rest of their content is still there because it’s not fake news.

YouTube has their policies, if one breaks it they get a warning, 3 warnings in 3 months and that account gets locked.

I found this article to be interesting.
https://www.google.com/amp/variety.c...202624410/amp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies