Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:54 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,323,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Where did I say you did? You don't need an FFL, but you do need a Class III. I am a former 01 FFL holder.

What happens if you inherit a dozen fully auto small arms?
Was I suppose to let the government know?
What happens if I build my own fully auto AR/M style small arms?
Was I suppose to let government know?

Was Robert E. Lee, suppose to let Ulysses S. Grant know he had cannons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 02:00 PM

482 posts, read 239,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Chalk up another big-govt advocate who believes government should have the power to decide who can own a gun and who can't.
Where do you draw the line? That is the question. Some believe the line is drawn at said high capacity semiautomatic weapons. Some draw the line at fully automatic weapons. Then you have people like my uncle that thinks people should be able to own anything they wish without licensing including weapons of mass destruction.

In a civilized society, you have to draw the line somewhere. Since the this line is subjective, your line is no more correct than my line unless you are advocating for no line at all. If that is your view, then you have no place in a civilized society. Anyone that thinks that one being able to buy a grenade launcher or dynamite at Walmart with zero restrictions is either stupid or crazy. It's one or the other.

The typical response from a lot of irrational gun owners is that criminals don't obey laws anyways, but ask yourself this, if one could actually buy things like anti-aircraft weaponry or land mines at the local sporting goods store without restriction, do you really believe that every thug and his brother wouldn't own them?

Once again, The biggest problem with discussing gun laws is the fact that the extremists always control the narrative.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:16 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
The biggest problem with discussing gun laws is the fact that the extremists always control the narrative.

On one hand, you have people that want to ban one's very right to defend themselves. On the other hand, you have people that still think it's 1776.

Should a law abiding citizen be allowed to conceal carry a handgun anywhere they wish outside of private property which forbids it? I believe so.

Should one be able to purchase a high capacity semi-automatic weapon without some serious licensing? Probably not.

Since there are literally millions of these weapons in this country now, there really is no debate. We should have pumped the breaks said weapons in the 1980's before everything got out of hand. We made our own bed, and now we must sleep in it. I've said for years that the reason I own a weapons like my AK-47 or my Beretta 92 handgun isn't because I fear my government. It's because I know that my ****head neighbors own these weapons.
The concept of this type of firearm was well documented back then. High capacity - yes, semi-auto - yes, licensing - NO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Old 05-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Law abiding people are law abiding people. PERIOD. Since they can be trusted to "carry a handgun anywhere they wish outside of private property which forbids it". Then they can be trusted to carry and own any type of firearm they wish. The ownership of a high capacity semi-automatic weapon does not somehow suddenly turn them into a mass murderer. No more than a gallon of gas turns them into an arsonist. They can do just as much damage with a coupla' ten round magazines in place of one 30 round magazine. The Santa Fe shooter killed 10 with a .38 revolver and a shotgun. The Happyland Fire arsonist killed 87 with what was a dollars worth of gasoline at the time, a container, and either a match or a lighter.

High capacity semi-automatic weapons have been available to lawfully own well before the 1980's. Up until 1934 fully automatic weapons were legal to own without a Class III license. An "assault weapons" ban was in affect from 1994-2004 and showed no appreciable effect on violent crime and was not renewed after several attempts to reinstate it failed.

If you feel that you have to own an AK-47 and Beretta 92 handgun because you fear your neighbors that much. Then maybe it's you that they have to fear?

I own guns and I don't fear my neighbors at all. I have no reason to fear my neighbors nor have I given them any reason to fear me. I don't consider them to be ****head's. If you consider them to be ****head's then why do you still live there? Especially if they are the reason why you own an AK-47 and Beretta 92 handgun to begin with. It must really suck to be you. If I were you I'd seriously reconsider owning any type of firearm. Not everyone is like you. Maybe that's why you don't trust your neighbors?
You didn't understand the post. Like at all LOL. I don't even really have neighbors in the sense that you're talking about. It's called an analogy. It's not meant to be taken literally. I own these weapons because other people own them. Does that make sense Einstein? Good grief.....

Also, you're trying to educate someone on firearms that's probably light years more knowledgeable in regards to the subject. No offense, but You're entire post is FAIL. I could break down every other thing you misinterpreted or didn't understand, but folks like yourself are a lost cause usually because you're emotionally charged. You lack logic as a result.

My 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Quote:
Where do you draw the line? That is the question. Some believe the line is drawn at said high capacity semiautomatic weapons. Some draw the line at fully automatic weapons. Then you have people like my uncle that thinks people should be able to own anything they wish without licensing including weapons of mass destruction.

In a civilized society, you have to draw the line somewhere. Since the this line is subjective, your line is no more correct than my line unless you are advocating for no line at all. If that is your view, then you have no place in a civilized society. Anyone that thinks that one being able to buy a grenade launcher or dynamite at Walmart with zero restrictions is either stupid or crazy. It's one or the other.

The typical response from a lot of irrational gun owners is that criminals don't obey laws anyways, but ask yourself this, if one could actually buy things like anti-aircraft weaponry or land mines at the local sporting goods store without restriction, do you really believe that every thug and his brother wouldn't own them?

Once again, The biggest problem with discussing gun laws is the fact that the extremists always control the narrative.
Because the gun grabbing extremists don't stop at just semi-auto. Most just say that even though they KNOW a pump or lever gun is more than capable of the exact same mass shootings. The last mass shooting was with a shotgun and a revolver. You either are intentionally avoiding that or are off the charts ignorant on the subject.

We have over 150 million semi-auto firearms in this Country.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The concept of this type of firearm was well documented back then. High capacity - yes, semi-auto - yes, licensing - NO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

I am well aware that high capacity semiautomatic weapons existed long before the 1980's; however, that is when they really started circulate into American homes and into the streets. That was the point of no return. I'm not against these weapons in 2018 because I don't think anything can be done about them at this point. I am merely stating that if we actually wanted to do anything about these weapons, that was the last chance.

One thing that gun guys like to do lecture anti-gun people about guns that know absolutely nothing about guns. I enjoy doing it myself. You have me mistaken for someone else because I don't agree with you 100%. I'm not who you think I am.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Because the gun grabbing extremists don't stop at just semi-auto. Most just say that even though they KNOW a pump or lever gun is more than capable of the exact same mass shootings. The last mass shooting was with a shotgun and a revolver. You either are intentionally avoiding that or are off the charts ignorant on the subject.

We have over 150 million semi-auto firearms in this Country.
So rocket launchers at walmart it is for you?
Where is the line? That is the question.

WHERE IS THE LINE?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:39 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,660,085 times
Gun Laws
Gun laws are the result of government restricting guns and or ammo and other other weapons with the result desired for safety.

Now I ask you... when laser guns are created or other weapons worse that you can image what will be the actions taken.

Every day someone dies from a gun, a car and many other tools in this world.
Now really its this PEOPLE are the problem.

In todays world you can die from anything, 500 years ago you could die from a disease in mass. 200 people can be killed some one hi-jacker crashing a plane. When governments dont need guns is when people dont need guns until then expect both.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:56 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,458,940 times
LOL

Know how I know you don't own an AK?

Quote:
The biggest problem with discussing gun laws is the fact that the extremists always control the narrative.

On one hand, you have people that want to ban one's very right to defend themselves. On the other hand, you have people that still think it's 1776.

Should a law abiding citizen be allowed to conceal carry a handgun anywhere they wish outside of private property which forbids it? I believe so.

Should one be able to purchase a high capacity semi-automatic weapon without some serious licensing? Probably not.
Quote:
Since there are literally millions of these weapons in this country now, there really is no debate. We should have pumped the breaks said weapons in the 1980's before everything got out of hand. We made our own bed, and now we must sleep in it. I've said for years that the reason I own a weapons like my AK-47 or my Beretta 92 handgun isn't because I fear my government. It's because I know that my ****head neighbors own these weapons.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:58 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,271,517 times
Quote:
You didn't understand the post. Like at all LOL. I don't even really have neighbors in the sense that you're talking about. It's called an analogy. It's not meant to be taken literally. I own these weapons because other people own them. Does that make sense Einstein? Good grief.....

Also, you're trying to educate someone on firearms that's probably light years more knowledgeable in regards to the subject. No offense, but You're entire post is FAIL. I could break down every other thing you misinterpreted or didn't understand, but folks like yourself are a lost cause usually because you're emotionally charged. You lack logic as a result.

My 2 cents.
Well I don't really know you Einstein as you don't know a God damn thing about me or my background with firearms. You didn't say: "because other people own them," you specifically stated: "my ****head neighbors ". Not everyone is a mind reader like you Einstein. Good grief..... It's no wonder you have disdain for your "****head neighbors" because of your condescending attitude towards anyone that's not like you Einstein. Like I said, it must really suck to be you Einstein.

Go ahead break it all down, point by point. I'll wait, but it'll probably be light years before you can dispute anything I wrote. I caught you in your own bulls**t and now you're backtracking. Kinda' made a fool out of you didn't I Einstein? Well too bad you had it coming.

These are your word's Einstein not mine:
Quote:
"I've said for years that the reason I own a weapons like my AK-47 or my Beretta 92 handgun isn't because I fear my government. It's because I know that my ****head neighbors own these weapons.
Quote:
No offense, but You're entire post is FAIL.
By the way it's "your" not "You're" Einstein, no capital "Y" either. I guess for a genius you're not too good with grammar either? Does that make sense Einstein? Good grief......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies