Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
If people who evaded the draft in the 60s -- by whatever means, including scheming to "fail" the physical examination -- annoy you, what say you about "patriots" like Trump? Ted Nugent (called those in the military "imbeciles")? Rudy Giuliani? Newt Gingrich? Mitt Romney?

Tough-talking candyasses, every one of 'em.
You'd have to be nuts if you were not from a Military Family or looking for a Career to have signed up for that slaughter. Of course, what often goes unsaid if that the VAST Majority of folks "in the service" during even that War never humped into the Jungle, but rather sat at fancy clubs and had A/C back at the base while they counted things, etc.

I have many in my family who "did their duty" over the years but in many ways I am glad my GF got discharged right before WWI because a carriage ran over his feet. Heck, I might not be here.

Vietnam seems to have been the beginning of the end for this country - or was it Korea? My friends who had to go (from poor families, etc) largely committed suicide, even decades later...with a family and all. This is a "good thing"????

I "did my duty" by registering but I was a little young and my lottery number came up high. No bone spurs or having daddy get me into the Guard etc. But that was as far as I was gonna take it.

I was even in Military School - graduation would have made me an officer (2nd L) immediately. I think they lasted about 2-3 weeks in Vietnam.

No, I am glad I didn't go - life it tough enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:03 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Give all teachers magic wands like Harry Potter's.
As long as it's a Wizard School!

If Ayn Rand Had Written Harry Potter

Quote:
...”You're a wizard, Harry," Hagrid said. ”And you're coming to Hogwarts."

”What's Hogwarts?" Harry asked.

”It's wizard school."

”It's not a public school, is it?"

”No, it's privately run."

”Good. Then I accept. Children are not the property of the state; everyone who wishes to do so has the right to offer educational goods or services at a fair market rate. Let us leave at once." ...
One of the tags at the bottom of the piece:

#yes i know they don't call them public schools in England
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies