Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:15 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times

Advertisements

I 2nd the exercise.

Pivot at your hips instead of rounding your back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There are far worse examples of lawyers (who are able-bodied themselves) purposely looking for reasons to sue any and everyone to make a quick buck. Many pretend to be doing it for the disabled, but in realty most are gaming the system that allows them to get a new boat at the expense of the insurance companies, businesses, or us the taxpayers.

Sadly I know some of these creeps, and they are in some instances the lowest form of bottom feeding losers we have in our society.

`
Agreed. And they make it harder for those with a legitimate grievance to get relief. I despise people that call wolf. For instance ( and this is much worse than abuse of the ADA) but people who make false accusations of rape or child molestation. Despicable.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,142 times
ADA litigation has gone too far - too many "free lunches" by it (in CA anyway). Too many businesses closed. Too many threats of litigation just for the $$$ instead of really trying to make things 'better'.

I knew a small business that would throw up a "closed for inventory" sign when they saw a wheelchair coming across the parking lot - just to avoid possible ADA claims. Sad.

This was in a (CA) county where I heard a judge told a frequent litigant, don't bring another case in this county. (because the person had brought so many cases already - it was his 'full-time job')

That's a sign it really goes too far.... on that road paved with good intentions......

Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I am a 6’2” man and can tell you that MANY accommodations like ATMs, gas pumps, urinals, sinks, appliances, air condition thermostats, some doorways that are often placed so low to the ground that I can’t reach them or am forced to crouch over them. With a bad back, it is not comfortable so I tend to avoid using these. I can only guess that they put these very low because of the ADA. I am sympathetic to the handicapped, but can’t help but think that these conveniences are meant to serve a small minority while negatively affecting the majority.
Just cross your legs and hold it in until you get home.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:42 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
It went too far the second it was enacted.

Codified slavery usually is...actually...always is.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
As another tall person, I figured everything was set so low because buildings and infrastructure in general were developed when most people were shorter.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 AM

602 posts, read 505,017 times
One part of the ADA I think needs to be loosened is the strict rules on service animals. I think the focus should be on the outcome and not the process, e.g. a business should be able to ban service animals IF they are willing to have one of their employees serve as a guide for the disabled instead.

ETA: In terms of housing, etc. I do support the requirement that service animals be permitted even if regular pets are not - but the occupant should be responsible for any damages the animal may do.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
One part of the ADA I think needs to be loosened is the strict rules on service animals. I think the focus should be on the outcome and not the process, e.g. a business should be able to ban service animals IF they are willing to have one of their employees serve as a guide for the disabled instead.

ETA: In terms of housing, etc. I do support the requirement that service animals be permitted even if regular pets are not - but the occupant should be responsible for any damages the animal may do.
You know that all service dogs are not guide dogs, right? There are seizure alert dogs, hearing alert dogs, diabetes alert dogs ... and dogs that assist mobility.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post

That’s fine and good, but what is one to do with the service animal while in the store? Many rely on them to help guide them to get to their destination as well.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
That’s fine and good, but what is one to do with the service animal while in the store? Many rely on them to help guide them to get to their destination as well.
Hey, I'm picturing the training for minimum wage employees to smell when someone's blood glucose is starting to tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies