Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment should be kept or repealed
I’m conservative and think it should stay 107 56.02%
I’m conservative and think it should be repealed 2 1.05%
I’m conservative and think it should stay but greatly reduce the types of weapons citizens can own 14 7.33%
I’m liberal and think it should stay 20 10.47%
I’m liberal and think it should be repealed 5 2.62%
I’m liberal and think it should stay but greatly reduce the types of weapons the average citizens can own 43 22.51%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:10 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,182,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Exactly why they are going to win. Every adult who was supposed to be protecting them failed miserably.

Every. Stinking. One. Of. Them.

They've held the news cycle for nearly two weeks now, and they are generating massive publicity in the MSM and on social media. They are offering concrete solutions, and the demands they are making are being heard if not acted on yet. They will succeed, and America owes them that.
I wouldn't say that about the adults that also laid their life on the lines to protect some of those children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 AM

34,161 posts, read 18,441,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am independent and think it can stay, but we need to start requiring a license to own guns, and to get a license you need to take safety course, drug test, mental evaluation and background check.
Self Defense using a firearm, or other means is a Natural Right we posses as human beings. Forced licensing, and the other items you'd like won't stop criminals from getting guns illegally. These are "feel good" measures that only affect the Law Abiding. I don't trust government to fairly administer any of the things you mention.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 AM

88,713 posts, read 44,482,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Self Defense using a firearm, or other means is a Natural Right we posses as human beings. Forced licensing, and the other items you'd like won't stop criminals from getting guns illegally. These are "feel good" measures that only affect the Law Abiding. I don't trust government to fairly administer any of the things you mention.
Neither do I. They've already turned "gun-free zones" into open season hunting grounds, placing bull's eye targets on every soft target kid and adult in one. They never had a chance. "Gun-free zone" is a death sentence.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,200,999 times
Whatever side you're on, I think it's safe to say that the AR-15 isn't going anywhere for a while (if ever). In fact, I don't think anyone really knows how many are out there since they started selling the civilian versions in the 1970's (?). Uncle Otto bought you one for a Christmas present in 1978, you fired a couple boxes through it and it spent the next 11 years just sitting in the back of your closet, when you traded it for an electric dog polisher. So the serial number trail is long dead, especially considering the era.

New York state passed their SAFE law that required everyone with an AR-15 (and certain other weapons) to register them or become a felon after a prescribed time period. The law seems to have been widely ignored, and I would imagine there are a lot of firearms hidden in attics and buried in backyards.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:25 AM

13,820 posts, read 5,538,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
New York state passed their SAFE law that required everyone with an AR-15 (and certain other weapons) to register them or become a felon after a prescribed time period. The law seems to have been widely ignored, and I would imagine there are a lot of firearms hidden in attics and buried in backyards.
NY, CT, CA, etc...all of the registration laws end up with ~10% or less compliance. People don't want the government in their business, regardless of which side of the ideological aisle they are on.

Per poll - I am a voluntaryist libertarian/anarcho-capitalist, and the 2nd Amendment stays and the number of restrictions on firearms we currently have should be cut by 80-90%, what with the very absolute, clear language of the 2A - SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

For the hysterics - read the history of every great nation that disarmed its people while also having a standing army. Story goes exactly the same in every case, and spoiler alert, the people don't fare very well in the deal.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM

36,857 posts, read 17,272,285 times
I don't care what happens to the 2nd Amendment.

I never signed (consented) to it anyway.

It is my natural right to do anything and everything under the sun unless I violate the non-aggression principle. At that point my victim may "alter" my rights as I've infringed upon theirs.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:34 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,789,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Like I said, marry whichever consenting adult you wish. /shrug
Being conservative doesn't mean you care who marries whom. I sure don't.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 AM

88,713 posts, read 44,482,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Being conservative doesn't mean you care who marries whom. I sure don't.
IF so, someone needs to inform MANY here on c-d.

What you describe is more libertarian than conservative. The left thinks conservatives are all bible-clingers.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,550,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Do you think the second amendment should be kept or repealed?

It takes 38 states to ratify any change to the Constitution.

Not going to happen.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,789,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
IF so, someone needs to inform MANY here on c-d.

What you describe is more libertarian than conservative. The left thinks conservatives are all bible-clingers.
Which I probably am but the movement is not cohesive enough to gain traction of any substantive use. Therefore I have to describe myself in the manner that fits most appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies