Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 PM

37,167 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Aquariums in the hall to add more real fish to the fish in the barrel. ??

Pop out targets in the walls of the halls that look like students. ??

Guard dogs that have been trained to respond to gunfire and the smell of black powder or ammo. This would be difficult, as some kids go to school with hunting jackets etc.. Trust me, TSA has stopped friends who had powder on jeans..
A single point entry, depending on size of school, metal detectors, and xray machines for back packs etc.
Do you understand the post you just replied to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 PM

37,167 posts, read 19,174,827 times
I think the best idea is to give every student a hand grenade, and have them pull the pin while they are in class so they can throw it when a guman breaks through the door with an AR-15.

They can reinsert the pin between classes.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Now comes the point of having to pay for all of this. We can raise taxes if we're asking teachers to put their lives on the line and get metal detector's etc. I saw one idea to fix our roads has to raise gas tax so what tax do we raise to pay for keep our children safe? I'm not against having to pay for it but the question is how? Teacher hardly make ends meet these days as it is.
Honestly, even as a fiscal conservative this is one tax that I could get behind. Provided of course that it does go to the task at hand. I'd would however tie this to your local real estate taxes. I'd mandate that every school have them in place, but hopefully parents and the local community would step up this way and volunteer labor, materials, and the necessary things to put all the safeguards in place. People tend to be more invested in their own communities if they have a stake in them.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Honestly, even as a fiscal conservative this is one tax that I could get behind. Provided of course that it does go to the task at hand. I'd would however tie this to your local real estate taxes. I'd mandate that every school have them in place, but hopefully parents and the local community would step up this way and volunteer labor, materials, and the necessary things to put all the safeguards in place. People tend to be more invested in their own communities if they have a stake in them.

I'm VERY anti-property tax to be 100% honest here even more so because we own our house outright, and with my wife's daughter being out of H.S and her son being out next year part of me is against this. And while I don't have kids of my own I have family and friends that do have kids and I could get behind this for that reason alone.

Agreed, would want to make certain that it goes into the school and not into someone's pocket.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Some schools are so poorly funded"

Whose fault is that if NOT the local politicians?

You can name ANY school distinct you think is poorly funded and I'd bet I could find a LOT of wasted money.
Funny how the only schools that have mass shootings are those that ARE funded very well. Combine, Parkland, Sandy Hook ... wealthy wealthy wealthy. Never seen a mass shooting in a ghetto school. Only extremely affluent areas full of white people. Any thoughts why?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
School Procedures to Better Safeguard kids.
Not only teach the text of the 2nd Amendment, well regulated them how to exercise it in a safe and lawful way.
Marksmanship qualification monthly.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
The new mandatory qualifications for teachers. Will be taught at continuing education teacher conferences once a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS9uGktUCrY

Old 02-25-2018, 12:45 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Funny how the only schools that have mass shootings are those that ARE funded very well. Combine, Parkland, Sandy Hook ... wealthy wealthy wealthy. Never seen a mass shooting in a ghetto school. Only extremely affluent areas full of white people. Any thoughts why?
Start a new thread, really. Maybe payouts of insurance are better there?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm VERY anti-property tax to be 100% honest here even more so because we own our house outright, and with my wife's daughter being out of H.S and her son being out next year part of me is against this. And while I don't have kids of my own I have family and friends that do have kids and I could get behind this for that reason alone.

Agreed, would want to make certain that it goes into the school and not into someone's pocket.
That's us. Kids are gone but we care about our community and those who live here. I've never been quite as against property taxes for the reason that we ALL pay them. Some of us by being property owners, even renters do to through their rent even though the landlord is the middleman. Those taxes are taxes that I see either going to work or being wasted with my own eyes. Local Police, Fire, Library, and schools all benefit. I'm afraid that if the Fed were to be in charge it would just be another big sucking sound of my dollars going down the drain.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Start a new thread, really. Maybe payouts of insurance are better there?
I find it very interesting. These schools have TONS of money. Yet people are saying no we need more for security. These schools already have security because they can afford it.

Yet they are the schools that have the issues. The ghetto, poorly funded schools never have mass shootings.

It's counterintuitive and defies logic. Shouldn't poorly funded schools where security is nonexistent and kids have more access to weapons have more shootings?

Why has there never been a mass shooting in Chicago when they kill each there every single weekend by gunfire? But never in a school???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies