Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Youth Violence?
Yes 58 53.70%
No 50 46.30%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:15 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think mothers and fathers are supremely important.

I've always wondered how kids whose fathers can't be around due to their work survive. I'm thinking of jobs like long-distance truck drivers, military, etc.
We are talking about boys though until a girl does one of these shootings. Boys need their fathers.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Youth Violence? "

I think music has probably contributed more to kids thinking violence is part of the norm. It's still on the shooter though, they have a screw loose,
I tried to rep you. Some music is demonic and invites evil. There is no doubt about that.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We are talking about boys though until a girl does one of these shootings. Boys need their fathers.
I said kids which would include boys.

Question still stands.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Youth Violence?

Well if they did we would see an uptick in violent crime from the 1990's to today and in fact its the total opposite. I would wager that many youths get their angst out through video game violence as oppose to real violence.

Also Video games are play all over the world. So if it did have an effect on youth violence we would see it on display almost everywhere. Countries that spend the most on video games are:

Japan
South Korea
US
UK
Australia
Canada
Germany
Switzerland

With the except of the US, all the other countries on this list have very low violent crime rates. Hard to say it has any real effect when the evidence for it is almost nonexistent.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I said kids which would include boys.

Question still stands.
Are you saying there is no difference between boys and girls when it comes to violence and aggression?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Are you saying there is no difference between boys and girls when it comes to violence and aggression?
Wow, you really changed the topic of my original post.

Here I'll repost it so we can stay on it:

Quote:
I think mothers and fathers are supremely important.

I've always wondered how kids whose fathers can't be around due to their work survive. I'm thinking of jobs like long-distance truck drivers, military, etc.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So video games kill people? Thought the NRA argument was inanimate objects do not murder?
I believe the violence on TV, movies and video games creates a mind set for possible violent behavior.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Big difference...boys are into violent video games, violent moves and violent TV shows. Girls aren't...when was the last time a girl wanted to go a date with a boy to a violent war type movie or sit around playing violent video games? Get real.
The vast majority of shooting, either mass or otherwise, are done by boys not girls.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Big difference...boys are into violent video games, violent moves and violent TV shows. Girls aren't...when was the last time a girl wanted to go a date with a boy to a violent war type movie or sit around playing violent video games? Get real.
The vast majority of shooting, either mass or otherwise, are done by boys not girls.
You kidding. I used to date one of the PMS clan, she'd kick my ass all over in any FPS shooter most of the time, that said she was a competitive gamer (what's now eSports), and she'd kick my ass in the gym with cardio too.

Good times...

Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Uh, a LOT of women enjoy modern shooters. And that number is only increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies