Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times

Advertisements

This is a wonderful and important piece about a smart, thoughtful teacher.

From Reader's Digest -

"Every Friday afternoon, she asks her students to take out a piece of paper and write down the names of four children with whom they’d like to sit the following week. The children know that these requests may or may not be honored. She also asks the students to nominate one student who they believe has been an exceptional classroom citizen that week. All ballots are privately submitted to her.

And every single Friday afternoon, after the students go home, she takes out those slips of paper, places them in front of her, and studies them. She looks for patterns.

Who is not getting requested by anyone else?

Who can’t think of anyone to request?

Who never gets noticed enough to be nominated?

Who had a million friends last week and none this week?"

https://www.rd.com/advice/parenting/...ying-strategy/

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:48 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quite smart.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I read this on facebook. What a wonderful plan.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
it sounds like a good plan. and it might just head off problems later on.

in the end however it is one part of a plan. but it is a wonderful beginning.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

From Reader's Digest -

"Every Friday afternoon, she asks her students to take out a piece of paper and write down the names of four children with whom they’d like to sit the following week. The children know that these requests may or may not be honored. She also asks the students to nominate one student who they believe has been an exceptional classroom citizen that week. All ballots are privately submitted to her.

And every single Friday afternoon, after the students go home, she takes out those slips of paper, places them in front of her, and studies them. She looks for patterns.

What do you think?

Quote:
You see, Chase’s teacher is not looking for a new seating chart or “exceptional citizens.” Chase’s teacher is looking for lonely children. She’s looking for children who are struggling to connect with other children. She’s identifying the little ones who are falling through the cracks of the class’s social life. She is discovering whose gifts are going unnoticed by their peers. And she’s pinning down—right away—who’s being bullied and who is doing the bullying.

Quote:
As Chase’s teacher explained this simple, ingenious idea, I stared at her with my mouth hanging open. “How long have you been using this system?” I said.

Ever since Columbine, she said. Every single Friday afternoon since Columbine. Good Lord.

This brilliant woman watched Columbine knowing that all violence begins with disconnection. All outward violence begins as inner loneliness. Who are our next mass shooters and how do we stop them? She watched that tragedy knowing that children who aren’t being noticed may eventually resort to being noticed by any means necessary.

And so she decided to start fighting violence early and often in the world within her reach. What Chase’s teacher is doing when she sits in her empty classroom studying those lists written with shaky 11-year-old hands is saving lives. I am convinced of it.

This brought actual tears to my eyes.
I want to give this teacher a hug.
Seriously.

THIS is the kind of stuff that is actually going to HELP.

Brilliant teacher.
Spread this far and wide.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Great plan but it won’t get much traction because it doesn’t involve the arbitrary banning of some societal hobgoblin.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Good idea, but I'll play devils advocate (aka jerk) here and ask the very often repeated counters to the "arm teachers" argument that I've heard:

Teachers are grossly under-paid and now you want to give them an hour+ of extra work every week AND ask them to play arm-chair psycho analyst? They get paid to teach, not be psychologists (cops/armed guards) and they dont have time to do this extra analysis (or train on how to use a weapon) that doesn't relate to their jobs for which they are under paid already.

So easy to overlook those same issues when the idea is all feel-good warm and fuzzy, huh?

Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
How dare a teacher actually think for herself! If it is not a federal mandate, she should not be doing it. This is not in Common Core. Wait till the teachers’ union finds out.

(sarcasm)

Old 02-26-2018, 12:30 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

From Reader's Digest -

What do you think?
... and this will stop the future school shootings? How so?

This sounds a little bit like criminal profiling. Is she an expert? She (keyword: she, one woman) will look for patterns and analyze it. (LOL) Okay.

Nah, I don't think so.

Reminds me of something I always hear, "Oh wow, how could that be him ? I didn't see that coming." Does this teacher believe the popular kid will never be a school shooter?

Criminal profiling works sometimes, (sort of like racial profiling), But FBI has a whole department full of profilers, and they cannot even get it right sometimes. This woman must be a wonder woman.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
The fact someone may be shy or lonely does not mean they have serious mental illness or are going to commit mass murder.

Many dangerous people aren't shy or lonely at all, for instance a psychopath/sociopath may be very good at manipulating people and getting on in life, but they are often callous uncaring individuals.

1 in 5 CEOs are psychopaths, study finds - Telegraph

There are numerous types of mental illness and personality disorders, and it's difficult to predict exactly who is going to become dangerous.

Saying that it is a good idea to try and help lonely children and to encourage them to engage more, participate more and to make more friends, so it's a good idea in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies