Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:27 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Political correctness is not a good term (I wish there were another) for it but it is good for everyone, it is not a 'political' issue, it is not a 'left' or 'right' concern.

It is essentially civility. I realize that good manners and common decency are going out of fashion these days, people would rather be ignorant and insulting, it is so much easier. Low character and morals are so much more popular now that the commander in chief sets the bar so low, I realize that.

Chivalry is just about dead, and civility looks to be on the way out too, nothing to celebrate here.
Hysterically and constantly attacking those people as racists and bigots who do not submit to the Democrat left's "Political correctness" thought and speech codes - which consist of as vile a collection of lies, perversions, and hostility promoting divisiveness as has ever been foisted on a civilization in the history of humanity - is apparently what passes as "civility" among the Democrat left these days. What a bunch of thundering a-holes those people are.

Are these the people that any sane person would look to as the arbiters if civility? No, they definitely are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:33 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Political correctness is not a good term (I wish there were another) for it but it is good for everyone, it is not a 'political' issue, it is not a 'left' or 'right' concern.
Political correctness was, notice the word WAS, good until it started being okay to step on the rights of one for the benefit of the other just because of that "correctness." When fighting for something was okay, up until it meant that fighting for it included actual violence. When common courtesy only applies in person and sure not on the internet. Political correctness now is about as useful as boobs on a boar.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:29 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually, I know where I come from and have spent 55 years immersed in REAL history books. I have run many successful businesses, raised three children who are happy and well-adjusted, been married 45 years and am financially (and otherwise) independent.

My ancestry goes back to King David and folks like Salvatore Ferragame (Billion dollar fashion empire) and many others - and our family has valued education for hundreds (or even thousands) of years.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself? I think it's very important to know the messenger and whether they stand upon stone or sand? Do you have great accomplishments you can name?

I mean - it's a matter of cred. It's important for others (myself included) to have some idea of where your views come from, otherwise we start thinking it's just another copy and paste. At least you know I typed the answers...

Oh, I forgot to mention - I invented the internet. Actually, that's BS. But I have been online since 1986 and some of my cohorts formed the first forums before the internet existed. In addition, I started and ran large forums in 1995 which ended up with millions of monthly views...did it myself in my spare time. Sold it for a good buck in 2014.

So - give me some background, area where you live, your accomplishments, education, family basics, etc. so people here can determine where you are coming from. That's important because anyone can copy a list of BS and post it on a forum.
Ferragamo?

Old 02-27-2018, 03:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Someone asked me to post some examples:
1. Trump allowed mentally ills to have firearms
2. Anybody can buy assault rifles
3. Nobody is coming for your guns.
4. Gun show loophole
5. Wage inequality between women and men
6. Assault weapon and the shoulder thing that goes up
7. NRA support people on no-fly list to own firearm
8. Recycling
9. Peaceful religion
10. Evidence of global warming/climate change/Armageddon
11. Guns kill people on their own
12. Undocumented immigrants
13. Raising minimum wage is a good thing
14. Institutional racism against blacks
15. The big switch of parties in the 60s
16. Fascists are right wing
I see myself as left of center, so I'll address these one at a time.

1.) No, Trump does not allow "mentally ills" to have firearms because it isn't up to him to allow it or forbid it. People who are adjudicated mentally insane by a court or who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution are not supposed to be allowed to buy guns...however, this prohibition depends on people keeping a database updated and compliance varies regionally since federal law doesn't require states to provide this information; providing it is voluntary, hence you could conceivably legally buy a gun even after having been involuntarily committed and been adjudicated incapable of managing your own affairs and legally insane. I personally don't think that's good.

2.) No, you have to pass background checks in order to buy assault rifles. Unlike handguns, you don't have to be 21 either. 18 is the minimum age.

3.) Depends on who you ask. I personally don't think anyone's coming for mine, but I don't own any assault rifles or bump stocks either.

4.) This exists and should be closed.

5.) This is also real and is not simply due to women being timid negotiators; we are penalized for negotiating.

6.) What about them?

7.) I don't know if that's true or not but people end up on the no-fly list all the time when they shouldn't be, and it's almost impossible to get off it even if you're on there due to an error.

8.) I recycle, but I don't kid myself into thinking I'm saving the planet. I see it as a way (hopefully) for my city to generate revenue or at least put off buying more landfill space.

9.) People, whether religious or not, are capable of violence. I do think some religions are more violent than others.

10.) I believe it's man-made, others don't. I don't care enough about it to argue.

11.) Guns do not kill people on their own; someone or something has to pull the trigger. However, people killed each other long before guns were invented and there are many ways to kill someone without a gun.

12.) Undocumented immigration is a huge problem in this country. I do not favor amnesty for any illegal immigrants, including "dreamers," because it sends the wrong message and also signals to future illegals that another amnesty is possible if they avoid detection long enough...thus perpetuating the problem.

13.) I agree; the minimum wage has a fraction of the buying power that it originally had when it was first introduced. We're all paying for it one way or another, but I feel that someone who works at least 40 hours a week should be able to make enough to pay for their own shelter, food, and clothing. This is currently not the case.

14.) This is a fact, though the depth & breadth of it is a matter of debate. However, I have known enough black people who themselves have been pulled over (or their children have) when driving a "flashy" car or driving in a predominantly wealthy area to know that racial profiling is real. I have personally witnessed affluent black friends being followed around stores like they were common thieves. It does exist.

15.) What about it? Democrats went from purported KKK-supporters to "champions" of civil rights. At the end of the day, a party's agenda is only about appealing to a constituency that the party feels is broad and active enough to turn out to vote...hopefully more than the other party's constituency...so they can win. Period.

16.) There have been four classic examples of an actual fascist government in action, all in the 20th century: Hitler's Germany, Mussolini's Italy, Franco's Spain, and Peron's Argentina. All had unique characteristics but they all had extreme nationalism and high levels of authoritarianism in common. Authoritarianism is not "conservative" or "liberal"; it's the Y axis to the liberal/conservative X axis, the opposite of which is Libertarianism...which can be "conservative" or "liberal". What fascism does have in common with "Communism" (more accurately "Marxism") is the nationalization of assets. This article does a good job of explaining what fascism is:

https://www.livescience.com/57622-fascism.html

Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
I am getting tired of people on the left throwing out lies after lies. At this point, I am fully convinced that they are not discussing in good faith. They aren't here to seek for truth or to find a good solution.

I am not saying people on the right are perfect and pure - plenty of conservatives push their "facts." It's just as despicable as what the left is doing.

We people on the right need to stop debunk their "facts" or educate them. We foolishly believe that "If they only know the truth ..."

Well, they are fully capable of educating themselves; and they don't care about the truth. They are here purely to push their own agenda by all possible means.

I think we need to start to question their motives and their moral deficiency for posting half truths and fake news instead of answering their "questions" or debunking their lies.

Someone asked me to post some examples:

12. Undocumented immigrants
I agree with your post except the more accurate term is Illegal Aliens.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
I am getting tired of people on the left throwing out lies after lies. At this point, I am fully convinced that they are not discussing in good faith. They aren't here to seek for truth or to find a good solution.

I am not saying people on the right are perfect and pure - plenty of conservatives push their "facts." It's just as despicable as what the left is doing.

We people on the right need to stop debunk their "facts" or educate them. We foolishly believe that "If they only know the truth ..."

Well, they are fully capable of educating themselves; and they don't care about the truth. They are here purely to push their own agenda by all possible means.

I think we need to start to question their motives and their moral deficiency for posting half truths and fake news instead of answering their "questions" or debunking their lies.

So if your saying that the right does the same why only point out that the left does it?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I agree with your post except the more accurate term is Illegal Aliens.
Right, purposely calling illegal aliens "undocumented immigrants" is lying.

When they lie, they are not discussing the issue in good faith, is it?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So if your saying that the right does the same why only point out that the left does it?
Because the left are doing it at the biblical proportion. The left has 90% of the media, 90% of academia and almost 100% of entertainment industry. They are blasting their lies 24x7x365 non-stop.

That's acceptable to you?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Because the left are doing it at the biblical proportion. The left has 90% of the media, 90% of academia and almost 100% of entertainment industry. They are blasting their lies 24x7x365 non-stop.

B.S the right lies just as much as the left does it all depends whose in office at the time.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:

That's simply not true. Extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies