Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Utah has allowed teachers to carry for 15 years. Looks like it takes a position that it’s none of their business what teachers carry. No training required. Thus far only one incident when a teacher accidently discharged her gun.

Reportedly, about 70 out of 1000 districts in Texas allow carry in schools. The district pays for training.

Some rural districts in North Dakota permit teachers to carry.

Workers Compinsurance is not mandatory in all states.

I have yet to catch a bead about liability. Most districts self- insure all or most exposures.
Just curious about the effectiveness. When was the last school shooting in Utah? A quick search and I see something about one person firing a shot into the ceiling, and another shooting that was near "union middle school".

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 02-28-2018 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:55 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Armed teachers should in my opinion, but the absolute last line of defense. Intruders are not part of the workplace, they are intruders. Like tornado shelters, and barriers to stop cars, we should certainly try to prevent natural, and man made violence from causing harm to people. For fires we already have systems in place to prevent, alert, and mitigate. Intruders should be taken as seriously.

But in the case of arming teachers, voluntarily, or mandatory, they are bringing in tools that are recognized for causing physical harm or death. If they become common place, they have to be recognized as a workplace hazard that require training not just for the wielders, but for those exposed to them.

I would even argue that armed teachers should receive hazard pay when carrying. It's a lot of risk and liability, it shouldn't be taken lightly.
We have 17 dead people in Florida. At least one (I believe) was a teacher. That teacher, had he been armed, would have had a chance of defending his life, to say nothing about those of his students. His estate should sue the heck out of the school district for taking away any chance he had of protecting his life and failing to provide any effective protection in turn. When we get a number of cases like that working their way through the system we might start to fix things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies