Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:33 PM

683 posts, read 464,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I may not speak for all of those that lean left, but when I hear the term privileged in the context that you're referring to...

I think of it as growing up in an exceptional public school district, (or with parents who can afford private), access and money for extra curricular sports and activities, living in a safe community and neighborhood where gang violence, drug dealing and drive by shootings aren't commonplace, a college fund and family money to fall back on, etc, etc.

So yes, in my eyes it does have a lot to do with the parenting, but privilege, to me, also has a lot to do with how financially comfortable and stable the parents are, more so than if they're actively pushing their kids to excel.

Well, my group of friends did not grow up privileged. Our parents were good role models and push us kids to do better than them. It's something called "Integrity".

Old 02-28-2018, 01:34 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have personally benefitted from having been born a white male into a strong middle-class family. Anyone with my background who denies they have been favored in applying for jobs and education and dealing with banks and other businesses is being disingenuous.
And what about all the tax your parents payed that was then given to educate, feed and house the "unprivileged"?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Or, apparently a white 19yo female, that's what I think of when I hear privalge.

That Brock Turner kid, that's privilege.

Ethan Couch, the kid who claimed affluenza, that's privilege.

It seems that those with money play by a different set of rules, it just helps to have the "right" complexion, well to do parents, or go to a "better" school. It's seems overly simplistic, but also undeniable. Not saying that other kids can't get ahead, but the circumstances that you come from can certainly help.
OJ Simpson, that's privileged.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:40 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
I have personally benefitted from having been born a white male into a strong middle-class family. Anyone with my background who denies they have been favored in applying for jobs and education and dealing with banks and other businesses is being disingenuous.
Maybe if you have connections and it depends what you mean by strong middle class family, and if you mean upper middle class or somehow connected. Average Joes don't get privileges unless they know someone.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:41 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post

We have to start calling out these people out for what they are, before they destroy our society.
God forbid trying to avoid Banana Republic where the small minority of rich rule over majority of poor.

You guys obsess over unrestricted government power, but just remember that our government is heavily influenced and even controlled by the economic elite. Keeping the rich in check by making sure they don't get too much power is an important cause. Just as important as keeping government in check.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You can considered yourself privileged and unprivileged yourself all you want, give away anything legally of yours you want to non-whites or females, but you don't speak for anyone else that is white. I won't consider you virtuous.
I really don't give a rat's honkus what you think. Obviously you don't, either, if you lie to yourself.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
And what about all the tax your parents payed that was then given to educate, feed and house the "unprivileged"?
I've paid my share as well, donated to numerous charities, and volunteered at the local food bank. They are still underprivileged. If poverty was as easy to break out of as those who have never experienced it think it is, it would not exist, guaranteed.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
I saw one of those privilege questionnaires and it basically said if you could buy hair care products, if your parents gave you fruit instead of junk food and if you liked your clothes growing up you were privileged.

I stopped giving it any creedence after the hair care products garbage. And parents who feed their kids fruit? Are you flipping kidding me? It means your parents CARE. Not that you are *priviledged*. Even though I still haven't figured out what it is supposed to mean because it makles ZERO sense. Psycho babble nonsense for people who want to blame others for their own failings.

Privledge is nonsense. Anyone who believes in it has zero critical thinking skills.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
I really don't give a rat's honkus what you think. Obviously you don't, either, if you lie to yourself.
No I care when you speak for or about others who are white and advocating unprivileging them. You can unprivileged yourself, but that's where it should end.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe if you have connections and it depends what you mean by strong middle class family, and if you mean upper middle class or somehow connected. Average Joes don't get privileges unless they know someone.
My grandmother owned a real estate and insurance business and did well. My parents were not rich, but we never wanted for anything. Whatever I needed or wanted within reason was mine for the asking.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s in the Jim Crow South. It was very much a white man's world. Women usually worked part time if at all. Being born a white male, I had a leg up when it came to getting what I wanted, and I won't lie about it. It's not something I am ashamed of, but it is something I am aware of. It is just how things were then, and still are to a certain extent, especially in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies