Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:53 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have personally benefitted from having been born a white male into a strong middle-class family. Anyone with my background who denies they have been favored in applying for jobs and education and dealing with banks and other businesses is being disingenuous.
Same here (born in 1955). Fortunately, as a youngster, my parents taught me that I should treat all people equally, until they give me reason otherwise. For Goldwater supporters here in Texas, they were socially quite liberal.

The way I see it, from observation over the past decades, many in the 'white community' feel threatened as others gain rights. It was true during the Civil Rights era, obviously, as white males (whom held political power) felt threatened by the marches and demands for equality by black Americans.

Other movements also seem to appear to pose a threat to white men (at least, in their view). I well recall the backlash against the Equal Rights Amendment (targeting women) in the 1970s. The white establishment also felt threatened when gay people began to demand equal rights. Since many in the white establishment identify as being 'Christian', they feel threatened by the members of other faiths demanding equality.

Yet, through it all, I have continued to live my life. I never felt that my self-worth was diminished one iota as others obtained equal rights. When I began law school in 1980, there were few women, and even fewer ethnic minorities. Now, I believe that they make up the majority in such schools. Yet, my happiness is unimpaired.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 PM

37,179 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No I care when you speak for or about others who are white and advocating unprivileging them. You can unprivileged yourself, but that's where it should end.
What does that even mean? I'm sorry, I've never seen that word before.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:59 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,348 times
Quote:
Trying to prove that privilege doesn't exist to soothe their guilty little hearts.
Trust me, no one is guilty. Just annoyed at the lack of gratitude and the constant complaining in addition to putting up with the crime and general dysfunction of he "non-privileged".

Old 02-28-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Trust me, no one is guilty. Just annoyed at the lack of gratitude and the constant complaining in addition to putting up with the crime and general dysfunction of he "non-privileged".
How about break that sentence down for us. Define "non privileged", if you would.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
What does that even mean? I'm sorry, I've never seen that word before.
How about disprivilege? Would you know what that means?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
How about disprivilege? Would you know what that means?
To deprive of privilege? As in "To deprive of the privilege he claims he never had in the first place"?

Yeah, that works. But if you aren't a child of privilege, why would you fight so hard to prove you are..?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
To deprive of privilege? As in "To deprive of the privilege he claims he never had in the first place"?

Yeah, that works. But if you aren't a child of privilege, why would you fight so hard to prove you are..?
If you're claiming group W is privileged and group B is not, then what are you going to do about that other than disprivilege the first group and to privilege and advantage the second?

Are you going to punish people and their kids for doing the right things and reward people and their kids for doing the wrong things? Why would anyone do the right things then?

Old 02-28-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
If you're claiming group W is privileged and group B is not, then what are you going to do about that other than disprivilege the first group and to privilege and advantage the second?

Are you going to punish people and their kids for doing the right things and reward people and their kids for doing the wrong things? Why would anyone do the right things then?
I'm not "going" to do anything, and that was never the question. The question was whether it exists. It does, whether it is codified or not, and is amounts to affirmative action for the ones who benefit, simply because they made better choices in being born than others.

Personally, I don't treat people differently. To deny others do would be a bald faced lie. and personally I would be lying if I said I had not been on the receiving end of good fortune.

Just because other people claim their rights does not mean you lose yours.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not "going" to do anything, and that was never the question. The question was whether it exists. It does, whether it is codified or not, and is amounts to affirmative action for the ones who benefit, simply because they made better choices in being born than others.

Personally, I don't treat people differently. To deny others do would be a bald faced lie. and personally I would be lying if I said I had not been on the receiving end of good fortune.

Like I said good parenting only works on good children. Research like the Minnesota twins family study shows that. Being a good parent or a good child, student, employee etc, isn't affirmative action. It's being meritorious. There's also research that shows whites don't in net favor or disfavor their race, but blacks do moderately favor their race.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:57 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times
Quote:

How about other types of privileges? How about good looking privileges? Can a very good looking person claim to be underprivileged when he or she has benefited massively from something they had nothing to do with? How about a severely disabled white male? Is he privileged compared to a random black person for example? How about short men? Have you seen studies of short vs tall men and what do you think they show? Should tall men not also "check their privilege" regardless of their other traits?

It seems to me that people carefully highlight certain privileges and ignore countless others that doesnt fit into a narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies