Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,088,935 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...Vy86bTp9ygdWJ/

I'm speechless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,058,080 times
Strange that this has never happened before until we have a serious push to arm teachers.

I guess this is just one heck of a coincident.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:33 AM

11,604 posts, read 5,646,295 times
There were many teachers that carried guns in my high school in liberal NY - it was never a problem. Let's wait until we have the facts of what went down before going off the rails folks.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,866,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Strange that this has never happened before until we have a serious push to arm teachers.

Strange or odd coincident -- life is full of them.

We don't know yet.

Could very well NOT be a coincident.
Could be nothing, could be something,

I'll wait for the rest of the story.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,874,139 times
Every guy I've talked to about this Let's Arm The Teachers movement, says they'd be dead if their HS gym teacher was armed. None of these are athletic and likely in HS skipped gym to smoke behind the bleachers.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,114,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

It probably just wasn't reported because it was not the "hot topic of the week."

Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,413,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It probably just wasn't reported because it was not the "hot topic of the week."
Call me crazy but I'd think that any shooting in any school would be a pretty hot topic.

Here's my position. Though I am a supporter of second amendment rights, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of armed teachers, mainly because I don't like the idea of our schools being awash with guns. I think it would be too easy for a student to get hold of a gun in this case. I also think that it's sort of a conflict of interest to expect a teacher to shoot a student. But that's just my personal opinion - I'll let the schools sort this out. I do know a lot of teachers and not a one of them likes the idea of teachers carrying guns to school.

I do think that before we consider that, we might take a long hard look at security in our schools. Seems that in many districts, the cost of administration salaries is a burden, but one that's being carried. I'd bet that most parents would be happy to have the administration salaries cut by, say, 10 percent and have those funds diverted into better security systems for the campuses. And better mental health screening at the campus level.

I think it's terrible that teachers even have to think about arming themselves against students or former students. What a sickening scenario that is.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,974,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Call me crazy but I'd think that any shooting in any school would be a pretty hot topic.

Here's my position. Though I am a supporter of second amendment rights, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of armed teachers, mainly because I don't like the idea of our schools being awash with guns. I think it would be too easy for a student to get hold of a gun in this case. I also think that it's sort of a conflict of interest to expect a teacher to shoot a student. But that's just my personal opinion - I'll let the schools sort this out. I do know a lot of teachers and not a one of them likes the idea of teachers carrying guns to school.

I do think that before we consider that, we might take a long hard look at security in our schools. Seems that in many districts, the cost of administration salaries is a burden, but one that's being carried. I'd bet that most parents would be happy to have the administration salaries cut by, say, 10 percent and have those funds diverted into better security systems for the campuses. And better mental health screening at the campus level.

I think it's terrible that teachers even have to think about arming themselves against students or former students. What a sickening scenario that is.

It is terrible but when you have a society loaded with guns and a culture with millions of people who have a sick obsession with them, you get what we have today.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:36 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,124,944 times
How about we wait till we find out what party he is registered to....because since everything these days comes down to that isn't that all that matters? Then the regulars can pick their side and the fight begins....

Old 02-28-2018, 12:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,936,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It is terrible but when you have a society loaded with guns and a culture with millions of people who have a sick obsession with them, you get what we have today.
I find it stupid that millions of people are obsessed with things like reality TV, college football, all kinds of other things, but I don't think that makes them "sick" just because they like different things than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies