Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If I could go back in time to the Puritans, I'd tell them what "the Progressives" would do to our society in the 20th and 21st centuries. Then we'd be waiting for the Progressive movement to start....with some rope and some guns to nip it in the bud.
They already are/have...

The idea that the female body is to be worshiped is very much of their making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The metoo movement has nothing to do with being a prude or with old-fashioned Protestant values. It's really the opposite of those values.
Except that it's not. The same protestant values are in place. They are just being expressed in times appropriate for this modern era.

For example, is the metoo movement occurring in non protestant cultures right now? I only see the US/UK/Australia/Canada getting in on it so far. (i.e. Anglo Saxon Protestant cultures)

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
OP: while I share your view of puritanical attitudes in America, I don’t share your view that fighting sexual harassment is somehow prudish. It’s all about informed consent.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:38 AM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wrong.

You're going to have to start thinking out of the box, out of the right vs. left framework that society says you have to follow. At the core, we are all prison to the values that the Puritans brought.

One thing you said was correct however, very low women had bodily freedom. They were free to be promiscuous and prostitutes. Very high class women were severely restricted by the social norms of the time. Middle class women were restricted by the higher class. Only the lower class women were truly free.

Back in the day, the Victorians were quite worried about the excessive celebrations that the Irish/Italians/non-Anglo Saxons would have on their various holidays. At the time there were people partying in the streets for celebrations such as St. Patrick's Day and the private security forces that the wealthy had were not "enough" to defend the various residences from "harm". So, the wealthy elite decided to invent the modern day police system.

Once the modern day police system was invented, it could be used to instigate mass arrests during holidays such as those and also to keep other immigrants at bay. In the south the police state was used for mass incarceration of blacks.

All of this was to keep a "pure" society where sexuality was kept at bay. They viewed the new immigrants as being "savages". It's the same reason why people are anti-immigration today.

If you don't believe me, ask people what they believe the "ideal society" would be in regards to social norms. Their response would be shocking.
Ehm - are you aware you're rambling a bit?

You still haven't presented any causal link between puritanism and the #metoo movement. FFS, you seem to agree that women in Victorian ages had no body autonomy, and yet the #metoo movement is 100% about that.

Quote:
Face the facts, most of you are being played like a fiddle by society.
We're at "If you were as smart as me, you'd see how right I am" already?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 03-01-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:47 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
The Puritans came over to establish a religiously pure colony in America where sexuality was forbidden. The goal of sex was procreation and nothing else.
That's a common belief that happens to be totally false.

https://erenow.com/common/fourbritis...ca1989/17.html

For instance,

Quote:
[Sexual intercourse] was discussed so openly that the writings of the Puritans required heavy editing before they were thought fit to print even in the mid-twentieth century.
And:
Quote:
The Puritans never encouraged sexual asceticism. They did not value chastity in the Roman Catholic sense as highly as other Christians did.
And:
Quote:
Puritans also commonly believed that an intimate sexual bond between husbands and wives was an important and even a necessary part of marriage.
By the way, the Puritans can't be "the roots" of anything since they did not just spring up out of nothing. They had their own roots.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
By the way, the Puritans can't be "the roots" of anything since they did not just spring up out of nothing. They had their own roots.
Well, it all comes from Luther and his "protest" but that was pre-American days.

You probably don't want me to get into that though do you?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I agree that America is overly puritanical, however, your post misses the mark big-time.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I agree that America is overly puritanical, however, your post misses the mark big-time.
I don't think so. It's returning America to "keep your hands to yourself and don't look at people lest it causes you to not keep your hands to yourself."

Can you not see that's an ultra puritanical view?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
It's returning America to "keep your hands to yourself and don't look at people lest it causes you to not keep your hands to yourself."
No, it is not. That's a rather hysterical interpretation of what #metoo is about.

You were close to having a good point here, but your mischaracterization of that movement ruined it.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
You probably don't want me to get into that though do you?
I think we're good, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies