Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
They were filed in the "colored" category, if do believe.
Asian soldiers stationed in the South during WW2 were to be classified as white for all intents and purposes. That meant that they could use any and all facilities that whites could use.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:47 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Majority of Asian-Americans are hardworking with strong families that prioritize education and career. They are big in technology and medicine - two of the few top paying fields. I don't think there is any structural bias towards them.
It's the same reason jews are successful, though the jews are good (just like me) at being penny pinchers who save their money and pass it onto their heirs. Whereas asians tend to do more manual sort of businesses, jews tend to be more into financial businesses which tend to generate even more money.

Either way the lesson is the same... if you have good values you pass onto your offspring and raise them in a disciplined manner, they will turn out more successful than if you let them sit around, eat, and play video games all day.

Short term gratification versus long term goals. With short term discomfort comes long term success. It's a lesson that's starting to be lost within our mainstream culture but some people have discovered personal development which thanks to youtube and other venues provides a host of content for people who want to become successful.

All young men growing up should grow up RED PILLED.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Or many are too busy handling affairs properly to play the victim or become social justice warriors preaching false narratives.

I agree.

I think this country offers lots of opportunities and businesses care about the color green more than any other color.

Yes.

I don't agree Asian Privilege exists, but liberals take stats by race, ignore Asians and then show how whites outperform other races in key areas and use that as "incontrovertible proof" of white privilege, while ignoring that Asians outperform whites in all of the key areas including even in police interaction bias.

If there is white privilege though, there must be Asian privilege.

White privilege is used to justify affirmative action, but as far as college admissions go, Asians face racism...not just in the dismissal of merit, but also in stereotypes where colleges call Asians "quiet" and use that as justification for hammering them.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/fe...ply-14180.html
I agree with most all of that here but whites who are quiet, shy or introverted or don't have the prototypical white Mr./Ms. personality are discriminated against as well. I believe whites are held to the highest standard for personality factors and appearance, and can't hide behind culture and race to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

30,363 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Overwhelmingly Asians moved to the US poor, faced discrimination working manual labor jobs for generations. They faced internment camps, laws saying that they couldn't marry non-Asians while not allowing Asian women to move here, the Chinese Exclusion Act, etc....and yet Asians are the most successful racial group in many crucial categories in the US and clearly outperforming whites in key areas.

Asian men earn 17% more dollars than white men. Asian women earn 6% more dollars than white women. This uses median incomes.

Asians have the longest lifespan in the US. In fact, Asians average 7.6 years longer in life than whites in the US.

Asians are extremely less likely to be obese in the US than all other races.

Asians make up 4.8% of the population, but only 1.6% of the inmates. They are the least proportionally represented race in prison....Asians are the least likely to be targeted by cops.....meanwhile they are the most disproportionately represented group in the medical field with 8.3% of all doctors. Asians make up 9% of the US college student population, which makes them the most overrepresented racial group in college.

The SAT is broken into 3 sections: Math, Writing, and Critical Reading...Asians score a decisive 1st in Math and 1st in Writing, while finishing a close 2nd in Critical Reading....so Asians are performing best overall on the SAT. Some people say that IQ tests show a cultural bias even though they have spent years trying to eliminate any bias and even administer IQ tests based on patterns and the like...and yet the IQ tests are still structured in such a manner to favor Asians despite trying to erase the bias.

...colleges are recognizing that Asians have a special privilege, which is why admissions per a Princeton Study says that some races get a 230 bonus to their SAT score, while Asians get a 50 point SUBTRACTION penalty off of their SAT score to level admissions.

Asians spend more time a week doing homework than other groups.

Statistics show that single parent home kids are far more at risk for a wide range of negative life-outcomes. Asians are the least likely to be raised in a single parent home at just 16%, which is noticeably better than whites at 24%, and astronomically better than other groups, which are as high as 66%.

Is there Asian Privilege in America, a structural bias to favor them? Perhaps racism in favor of them?

Or do they just work harder, have a solid culture, etc...all while the US offers opportunities for those with merit?

I ask, because a teacher I know has an entire unit on White Privilege and compares stats of whites against groups that aren't white (or Asian) and then argues that the structural system of the US is racist to keep down minorities. If this is true, then isn't this racist structure also creating Asian Privilege?

I've said my white privilege I have came from my Father emphasizing education and intellectual discussion as well as hard work, dedication to honesty and ethics and love for family and nation. Asians tend to have a similar privilege.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:56 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It fascinates me that hard work, responsibility, industriousness, and education are casually dismissed as privilege.

Yes....me too!

Also reminds me of the saying "The harder I work the luckier I get".

Sure, life isn't always fair. I get it that some aren't born with supportive two parent families, some don't even have one supportive parent. But you can't quarrel with the fact that you'll be far better off in life if you work hard, act responsible, and learn all you are capable of in school and life in general.

One thing that can be guaranteed, if you don't work hard, don't act responsibly and have little or no education, regardless of "privilege", you'll be a failure very quickly, and stay there until you change your ways.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The focus on "white privilege" is the exact same playbook that both Hitler, and the communists used to implement totalitarian regimes and theft of property and personhood.

Hitler didn't rise to power because he didn't like "the Jewish religion"... he had no problem with other religions. It's why he allied with the Muslims and admired the machismo of that religion.

No... he did EXACTLY what liberals and progressives do today: Focus in on a subset of people, and declare that that group oppresses everyone else, only serve themselves, keep gains and profits for themselves, and profit at the expense of everyone else. Therefore, it's justifiable to remove, confiscate, etc. from the ones who *control everything* in order to restore a just society.

And make no bones about it. What we see happening in South Africa right now is and will be praised by leftists in America, who hope to make it a reality in this country in the future.

For the communists, of course, it was the narrative that anyone with ownership or education or success had achieved same by theft and unfair play. We know the results of THAT.
Agree we have almost reverse-Nazism or communism coming from the Democrat party.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
How are you defining Asian Americans for the purpose of this discussion? Are you talking about the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans? Are you including the Filipinos and Laotians, Vietnamese and Thais?
Not all Asian Americans are doing well in America.

Certain Asian communities frown upon letting outsiders know about what is going on in the community. People victimized by gangs don't talk and a lot of social ills (drugs, violence, etc.) are present in the communities, they just aren't talked about.
Certainly not all whites are doing well in America either. The whole point was taking group averages. If you want to disaggregate ethnicities from race, then Jewish are doing better than Asians. Jews are white and have the most 'white privilege' of all, and are bringing up the white average making it look less worse than it is. Why many of them rail against white privilege draws all kinds of theories.

Quote:
Asian parents might push their children to succeed but there are also reports of wide spread cheating scandals among Asian students. If colleges removed the 'Asian privilege' and admitted students based on SAT scores alone, most colleges would be predominately Asian and there would be an outcry over the preferential bias shown towards Asians.
Yes the Asian grind, ethnic cooperation and sometimes cheating. Americans shouldn't have to compete with that. America was the premiere nation when it was mostly white and culturally white, Western. Americans didn't need to be grinds, nepotistic and cheaters to have an advanced culture.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A more complex analysis would show that 3rd generation Asians do much poorer on the tests referenced by the OP. By the third generation the cultural advantages are lost. Assimilation in action.
I think the Asians are selective immigration of the more intelligent and ambitious and are reverting to the Asian mean after a few generation. 3rd and so on generation Asians still do about as well or better than whites on average and better than blacks and Hispanics.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In the context of this discussion, do Indians count as "Asians", or are we talking strictly East Asian?
Yes they have better average outcomes than whites. They stick together like glue and an overwhelming majority are part of the "people of color" socio-political coalition.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Too generalized. Many Asian immigrants don't come to this country poor. In fact, they are rich and well-prepared before they come.

There are some private schools in my state that offer summer programs catered to Asian students from overseas with dorm rooms provided. Some parents have even bought condos for their kids when they are still in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies