U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Reputation: 5617

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The latest defense by the far-right for their "guns for all - no questions asked" policy is to claim that since guns kill fewer people each year than knives and cars, guns aren't worth worrying about and we shouldn't change the laws to reduce gun deaths. Now, obviously there are some glaring flaws in their logic: crime is not the most common cause of death, so we shouldn't bother hunting down violent criminals, and drunk driving is not the most common cause of car crashes, so we should allow drunk driving. But let's instead go further down the rabbit hole of right-wing "logic" and see where it leads us.

Gun deaths by year - averages to about 8,815 people in the US per year

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2009-2013.xls

Rifles average 327 people killed per year; HOWEVER, over 1,000 deaths per year don't have the gun type stated, so this number could only go higher with more accurate data.

Deaths by terrorism per year since 1995 - averages to about 154 people in the US per year

http://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_...et_Nov2017.pdf

So, you are over 57x more likely to die from a gun in the US than from a terrorist attack.

Despite this fact, more effort has been put into "stopping those scary brown foreigners who must all be terrorists" from the Trump administration - backed heavily by xenophobic right-wingers - than gun control, and we can't go a week without right-wing media trying to claim that scary foreigners are all terrorists, which are the gravest threat to our security. Bull. Even by right-wing logic - which is often nebulous at best - if guns "don't kill enough people to worry about," than surely terrorism is not worth worrying about, either.

Now, I'm obviously not calling for no immigration laws, no guns, or no gun laws, but I am reminding people of the facts. So, the next time some xenophobic right-winger you know starts spouting off about how those "scary foreign terrorists are gunna kill us all!" remind him that he is 57x more likely to die to one of his precious guns than to terrorism in the US.



BS Dude. Radical Islamic Terrorists are the biggest threat here, after Liberal Democrats. Their Ideology is not compatible to any Western Civilized Nations, and that's a fact. They despise our way of life and are the only people that have actively said that we must be punished for our sins. A Gun may be the only thing that saves you, since these people do not care about our Laws. Every Muslim is not a Terrorists, but most Terrorists are Muslim. All one has to do is look at what they are doing in Europe. Makes you want to go out and get more guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: PSL
8,231 posts, read 2,186,253 times
Reputation: 2935
Here's another fact Rambler.
AR15s are rifles. Rifles used by murderers accounted for 374 deaths.


Also in 2016
Automobiles accounted for 37,461 deaths


Private modes of transportation are 10,000% more deadlier than AR15s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:08 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,194 posts, read 16,584,523 times
Reputation: 8847
This is your typical left-wing gobbledygook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Reputation: 5617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you think my post was about getting rid of immigration laws or guns, you've missed the point entirely. Honestly, I'm very disappointed in how few people on this forum remotely "got it" - pathetic, really.

The right loves to whine endless - just look around this joke of a forum as an example - of how the "terrorist foreigners are gonna kill us all!'

They also love to claim that guns aren't worth worrying about since they aren't a leading cause of death.

But the facts indicate that guns are far, far more dangerous than those terrorists they are believe are under every bed and in every mosque. It's just right-wing lunacy at its finest, and I just find it amusing how bad the actual numbers make them look. Ah, well - I shouldn't have expected people around here to "get it" - that's asking too much, obviously.



Your a Liberal and its easy to see from the post. Your anti-gun, but know its not a good way to be on here, so you say this forum is a Joke, but you still are here pushing your Liberal Agenda. Why? We get it alright. Democrat left wing Liberals will do anything and say anything to promote their anti-gun agenda, but aren't successful at it so they act like they are not Liberals with an agenda. The fact is, you Liberals are a bigger threat than guns or Terrorists.


Your Phony message is not working here dude. Slipping in "insults" at those who don't agree with you is a typical Liberal ploy. Go sell your view to your "Safe" group where you have people that are Brain Dead, and will believe every word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:22 PM
 
4,842 posts, read 2,333,095 times
Reputation: 5657
School shooting from 2009 - 2016: oct, 09 - Chicago Illinion, April 09 - Hampton, Virginia, may 09- Cambridge, Massachusetts, may 18- lacrosse, la, June 09- SAN Francisco, sept 09- SAN Bruno, Ca, oct 09- Conway, South Carolina , feb 10 madison, Alabama, feb 10- Huntsville, Alabama , feb 10- dekalb, Illinois, feb 23- Littleton, Co, march 10- Columbus, Ohio, in sept thru dec 2010- Detroit, Austin, Salinas California, Carlsbad, marionette Wisconsin, aurora, Colorado. Year 2011 Omaha, martinsville Indiana, Houston, pearl city Hawaii, Fayetteville North Carolina, Blacksburg Virginia, edninberg texas. year 2012 Houston, Chardon Ohio, Jacksonville, Oakland, Memphis, perry hall Maryland, normal Illinois, mobile Alabama, Chicago, LA, newton connecticut. Year 2013-- fort Meyers Florida, Taft California, Detroit, St. Louis, hazard Kentucky, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Atlanta, Orlando, Dublin, Virginia, rambling Louisiana, Cambridge, Birmingham, Santa Monica, Decatur Georgia, Sardis Mississippi, Winston-Salem North Carolina, pine hills Florida, sparks nevada, Greensboro, Lithonia Georgia, Pittsburgh, winter garden Florida, centennial Colorado, Fresno. Year 2014-- Jackson, new haven, Roswell, Philadelphia, between middle of Jan 2014 and the end of 2016 - there are about 68 more shootings at schools or colleges.

Now tell me what Obama did to end these shooting??? Your fearless leader ran on change but did nothing so give it a break on what is Trump going to do - Obama and all those before them did very little to address the crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,347 posts, read 1,901,430 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Democrat left wing Liberals will do anything and say anything to promote their anti-gun agenda, but aren't successful at it so they act like they are not Liberals with an agenda.
TRUMPíS JUSTICE DEPARTMENT TAKES ACTUAL STEPS TOWARD BANNING BUMP STOCKS

Gun control measures proposed by Trump, lawmakers after Florida school shooting | Fox News

Republican Gov. Rick Scott signs sweeping gun bill - Sun Sentinel

Conservatives floored by Trump's gun control lovefest

Quote:
"I like taking guns away early...take the guns first, go through due process second." - Donald Trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Reputation: 5617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Thanks for not getting the painfully obvious point I was making, as so many on this right-wing forum refused to see.


The right argues two points frequently:
  • Immigrants / terrorists (interchangeable in their eyes) are a huge threat to the nation because of how many people they kill
  • Guns are not that dangerous because they are not a leading cause of death.
Unfortunately, the facts prove that guns are far more dangerous than terrorists in this nation.

Now - again, - I'm obviously not recommending we get rid of immigration laws, guns, or gun laws, but I'm calling the right out on their endless screaming about how "duh Mooslims and foreigners are gonna get us all!" when you are 57x more likely to be killed by a gun - considered sacred in the eyes of the far-right - than a terrorist, Muslim or otherwise, in the US.

BS. You seem to have this thingy for defending Muslims. That's what your focus seems to be on, even if you won't say it. Have a few in the family?


Immigrants are a huge threat to our Country. Look at how many Illegals have sneaked in here and are sucking Taxpayers dry. Look how many Muslims here where Terrorists and finally acted. .


Guns are not Dangerous in the proper hands. Terrorists are Dangerous no matter where from.


Our bigger threat is Liberal Left Wing anti-gun Snowflakes. They want to disarm America so they can make a Socialist/Communist Nation here. Real Americans will never become Commies as long as they are armed. Save your time and just make a speech at your next Liberal Communist Rally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
5,941 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Reputation: 5617

No one cares about "Bump Stocks" Nothing wrong with taking guns away from mentally disturbed persons. Most of the "Fake News" that's been cherry picked and put in print is just another feeble attempt of the Liberals to make everyone thing that Republicans agree with the anti-gun Liberal Agenda. Not True. Fake News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,347 posts, read 1,901,430 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
No one cares about "Bump Stocks"
People who care about liberty do.

GOA Statement On President Trumpís Bump Stock Memo

Quote:
Nothing wrong with taking guns away from mentally disturbed persons.
And who gets to who's "mentally disturbed?" The State?

What if Chelsea Clinton is elected President with a Democrat Congress and they pass a law that all conservatives and libertarians are to be classified as mentally ill--should they be forced to give up their guns?

Quote:
Most of the "Fake News" that's been cherry picked and put in print is just another feeble attempt of the Liberals to make everyone thing that Republicans agree with the anti-gun Liberal Agenda. Not True. Fake News.
Trump is a liberal. A life-long New York City leftist.

And most Republicans are left-liberals as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2018, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,347 posts, read 1,901,430 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Our bigger threat is Liberal Left Wing anti-gun Snowflakes. They want to disarm America so they can make a Socialist/Communist Nation here.
Like Donald Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top