U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:27 PM

11,483 posts, read 3,137,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Iowa is too cold for me, I have never lived there. Took quite a few vacations there over the years though, but not recently.

Iowa always seems to rank high, but not the highest in tons of different metrics such as education, health care, health insurance coverage, infrastructure, economic growth, housing costs to income ratio, mental and physical health and other indicators.

Personally, other then that 6 months of cold weather without a doubt North Dakota has the quality of living in my opinion. I won't ever live there, but taken vacations there and they have a fantastic quality of life. It is also a very wealthy state with a very strong sense of community, well-run government with extremely low taxes on residents of the state.

Parts of Eastern Iowa are only about 2 hours or so to Chicagoland.

When they average thing out, the state likely doesn't rank best in anything but it likely doesn't rank below average in anything either.

When they have a couple dozen different metrics and nearly all of them are in the top 20, then they the state comes out on top.
A friend of mine....a fellow SF Bay Area native.....went to college in Iowa. She returned to the Bay Area after graduation.

Very few parts of Iowa are under 3 hours from Chicago (Clinton is the only place I can think of), but under four hours...yes. I have some friends who live in Machesney Park, IL (suburban Rockford), and they have a vacation place in Galena, IL (I've been to both)...which is about 15 miles from Dubuque, IA.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM

11,483 posts, read 3,137,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes, I have been to Paris and Greece....awesome experience. I hate flying now because I am always pulled aside to be patted down. This happens every single time I fly. Yet my husband goes right through. And I have no desire to go to California.
Interesting.

With what the scans/stored images can now see, I didn't know they still pulled people aside for TSA ordered pat downs. I know passengers can virtually always request pat downs if they don't want stored scans of themselves....I know that because that is what I always request.

Perhaps your husband has TSA PreCheck ?....I've thought about getting that.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 PM

20,586 posts, read 8,763,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Interesting.

With what the scans/stored images can now see, I didn't know they still pulled people aside for TSA ordered pat downs. I know passengers can virtually always request pat downs if they don't want stored scans of themselves....I know that because that is what I always request.

Perhaps your husband has TSA PreCheck ?....I've thought about getting that.
Yes, I have TSA precheck. It doesn't matter. If I don't get pulled out I set off the alarm. The TSA agent said is was the button on my jeans setting it off....really? Am I the only one with a button on my jeans

Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,126,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG One View Post
Its been working great. Clearly you didnt live here in the 70s 80s or 90s.
I live in the present day, thanks

Old 03-03-2018, 11:46 PM

3,375 posts, read 2,993,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The homeless is the bigger problem than the illegals. I couldn't care less about the illegals - - it's really nothing. The homeless can be a hassle, but that's the price of living in paradise.
I'm sorry Tris, but I missed the part about the homeless when I read the definition of "paradise".

But seriously, I personally have never had the chance to visit California. So I can not give an honest opinion about that particular state. If I was to give an opinion, it would be completely based on what I've read or heard about the "Golden State". And I truly hope things are better there than what I've heard. But you did prove one thing in an earlier post of yours. The one thing every Californian goes too to describe how great it is there is the weather. You rarely see anyone from Cali talking about anything "real" as far as living there is concerned. It's always the same old thing. Close to the ocean, really nice weather, etc. I'm sorry, but I have a few more requirements that have to be met before I would label any place a "paradise". And weather is pretty much the least of my worries. I think I would get bored living in a place where the seasons never seem to change. But hey, that's just me. And bottom line, if you are happy there, then that's all that matters.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:20 AM

22,362 posts, read 27,494,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I'm sorry Tris, but I missed the part about the homeless when I read the definition of "paradise".

But seriously, I personally have never had the chance to visit California. So I can not give an honest opinion about that particular state. If I was to give an opinion, it would be completely based on what I've read or heard about the "Golden State". And I truly hope things are better there than what I've heard. But you did prove one thing in an earlier post of yours. The one thing every Californian goes too to describe how great it is there is the weather. You rarely see anyone from Cali talking about anything "real" as far as living there is concerned. It's always the same old thing. Close to the ocean, really nice weather, etc. I'm sorry, but I have a few more requirements that have to be met before I would label any place a "paradise". And weather is pretty much the least of my worries. I think I would get bored living in a place where the seasons never seem to change. But hey, that's just me. And bottom line, if you are happy there, then that's all that matters.
Well, the seasons do change. Right now, it's 41 degrees outside here; some days last late November, it was in the 70s at the same time of the night. Miami probably has less of a season change than California. Although, California as a whole has many different climates. The change of seasons do vary depending on the part of California.

Besides the weather, here are the good points for me about California...

- Extremely varied terrain, from -282 feet at Death Valley to 14,496 feet at Mt. Whitney/good scenery
- Many, many activities and events
- Many car shows, some weekly and some all year
- In my area, easy driving and parking (wide, smooth streets and big parking lots)
- The majority of the people are friendly

Another one somewhat related to weather... very few bugs/mosquitoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or