Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I think it makes these cities more libertarian not literally but philosophically.

States that have lower state taxes and a pro business climate whereas the growth cities have a more progressive mindset.
Austin would be a good example. A good balance IMHO.
Austin is the capital city of the 2nd largest state (pop) in the USA. They benefit greatly by taxation on the rest of Texas. It's an advantage that most cities do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:41 AM

457 posts, read 904,915 times
In the DFW area, at least, the vast majority of the growth is in the ultra-conservative suburbs - not Dallas. Conservatives rule the rural and suburban areas, Democrats rule the cities (except Ft. Worth) which would be great for Democrats if it weren't a fact that Texas is a rural and suburban state. Texas will continue to look like little islands of blue surrounded by a sea of red. And the red is more than tumbleweeds and cows - it's where the majority of Texans live.

Texas will continue to grow and gain electoral votes, but it won't turn purple or blue for a very long time, if ever.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Still talking about this, are we?

Let us now look at the ranking of least educated states:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karsten.../#337eca971be0

As the psychotic mouse in the Simpsons would say, "Oh me Oh my!"

Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Dallas Fort Worth really are separate cities.
I am aware of that but they are one megalopolis. Heck even some of the suburbs are 100K+ population.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Still talking about this, are we?

Did you have a point?

Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Trump is the best thing that ever happened to Democrats (and by extension blue states).

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I'm sure this has been said already but I'll say it again. I voted for Trump but am more moderate than anything. I don't agree with everything he does, on the other hand I disagree with a lot of liberal snowflakes.

All that said, this site uses percentages to get their data. It's easy for something small to grow faster than it is for something huge to grow faster.

Compare EXPI, a small, growing online realtor with a market cap under a billion dollars that I own, bought at $3.50 last summer and again at $11 a couple months ago, and used in the stock picking contest in the investing section, with Google, one of the largest market cap companies that trades.

Which one do you think will have an easier time growing faster percentagewise? Which one is more popular? I thought so. Better they use raw numbers and not percentages to come up with this data. It might paint a different picture as to who is actually more popular versus who is growing faster. Again I'm not promoting conservatives or liberals here, but the actual facts.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-01-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And that's unlikely. Why? Because conservative ideals are slowly going the way of the dinosaurs. People are realizing the reality of climate change, they are becoming less religious, they are becoming more humane toward animals and more humane toward humans.
I agree on all this but the last... Where on earth have people been more humane to other humans lately? Seems like to me its worsening lately unfortunately in that regard.. Sure we dont have slavery now and concentration camps.. But it seems like to me people and common courtesy is slowly getting worse in time for various reasons

Old 03-01-2018, 09:05 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I guess the get from this is to expect red states to become more liberal (and less red) with the projected growth of their cities.
The writing is on the wall... The GOP is doomed.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:07 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Sorry I offended your liberal ideals. Vast majority of the cities listed are in red states. You can try to spin it anyway you want because you don't like that obvious fact but it does not change what it is.

My bigger point which was subtle and something you obviously missed is migration to red states will have future impacts on the EC as well as the house as long as those states stay red.
No argument? Call the other person a conservative or a liberal.

Additional analytical error:

-Trying to bootstrap "fast growth" in specified areas as proof that there is broader migration to the entire state. Aka data cherry picking to draw a broader conclusion.

If you actually want to learn how to better use statistics and analyze things do a search on my name and you will find my thorough debunking of the "red states are takers" meme that is also a pile of steaming poop. I probably got called a right winger in that thread somewhere.

I point out a host of errors including economic related concepts.

But don't worry, I have full faith that you will probably start making those here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies