U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,207 posts, read 13,973,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So if Trump is mad about countries subsidizing steel and aluminum does that mean we can stop subsidizing American agriculture?
since most of the ag subsidies are from gore and his stupid using corn for bio-fuel...sure why not

let's end welfare too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM

30,194 posts, read 16,560,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If tariffs are a Constitutional mandate, then Republicans hate it more than anyone. Of course most of us know there is no such mandate, the constitution only says the Congress has the power to collect them. Trump seems to think HE has the power.
I'm sorry, but I don't think you understand the Constitution. The income tax was declared (initially) to be unconstitutional, and our Founders believed such a direct tax was evil.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know. Its pretty desperate, but it is common among the mainstream republicans to accept any responsibility for anything. They will ALWAYS blame someone else for their mistakes.
They shouldn't accept responsibility for Doomsaying Democrats. But they are free to laugh at them.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My son lives in Pittsburgh. The economy there has been growing and booming for years. The steel and related plants are all torn down...

I have lived through the years that Big Steel died. It started in the 70's with multiple bankruptcies and some foreign buy-outs. Under Reagan, offshoring and the complete decline of the Rust Belt was completed. M&As and other such actions cut the work force in steel down to virtually nothing...

Some new plants have been opened - but new steel plants have hardly any employees.

The bottom line, as one expert put it, is that you might save one job and lose 30-40. That is, there are vastly more people involved in fabricating steel or the entire consumer, industrial or other sectors using or selling steel and aluminum.

There have been small tariffs for 100's of years on various stuff. I paid 4.2% on the boilers I used to import from Denmark. However, I don't think such tariffs were done for the reason(s) that these are - that is, they were not punitive. Rather they were just part and parcel of the tax (money raising) system that finances our country (customs, etc.).
EVERYTHING that is imported...even from American companies that make their widgets overseas (GE for example).... should be paying an import tariff based on the wage inequality

do you think its fair that GE can pay its Mexican workers 20/week, and moved down there to save from paying americans 20/hr???...tariffs level the playing field

Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 PM

10,541 posts, read 13,058,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
EVERYTHING that is imported...even from American companies that make their widgets overseas (GE for example).... should be paying an import tariff based on the wage inequality

do you think its fair that GE can pay its Mexican workers 20/week, and moved down there to save from paying americans 20/hr???...tariffs level the playing field

Pure idiocy. Recipe for stagnation, mass inflation and recession.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Pure idiocy. Recipe for stagnation, mass inflation and recession.
so then you want American wages to go down, like they did under globalist Clinton/bush/obama

you can NOT have 'freetrade' without the playing filed being even, especially in the are of wages...tariffs are NEEDED to level the playing field

thanks for playing

https://www.uschamber.com/issue-brie...ng-field-trade

even far left thinkprogress thinks tariffs level the playing field
https://thinkprogress.org/cap-import...d-43e275ee92e/

Last edited by workingclasshero; 03-02-2018 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM

6,971 posts, read 2,581,625 times
Quote:
since most of the ag subsidies are from gore and his stupid using corn for bio-fuel...sure why not

let's end welfare too
Nice try buy subsidies go back to the 1930's and red states tend to receive more.

https://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?...al&page=states

Old 03-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
so then you want American wages to go down, like they did under globalist Clinton/bush/obama

you can NOT have 'freetrade' without the playing filed being even, especially in the are of wages...tariffs are NEEDED to level the playing field

thanks for playing
My wages have skyrocketed in those years. I don't work in outdated industry though. People need to move on. Manufacturing is not labor intensive anymore. Overpaying for something needlessly is not smart.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Nice try buy subsidies go back to the 1930's and red states tend to receive more.

https://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?...al&page=states
Farm subsidies are as old as america almost.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My wages have skyrocketed in those years. I don't work in outdated industry though. People need to move on. Manufacturing is not labor intensive anymore. Overpaying for something needlessly is not smart.
so you are against raising the minimum wage.... see you are fiscally conservative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies