U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 AM
 
Location: USA
16,822 posts, read 8,650,460 times
Reputation: 12689

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
China is on the way to be the worlds top economy, but not by playing by the rules. Countries, mostly us, want cheap goods, cheap more ways than one. They produce inferior products with questionable materials, and with very little quality control. The world eats this chit up. Countries want it, they will produce it, cheap. Be careful what you ask for.

Years ago I worked for a company that was owned by two Chinese guys. Every so often one of them would go over to China to check on their stuff being manufactured. On return they would tell us what to pay close attention to as for quality, saying QC over there was just about non non existent.

Remember years ago when just about everything was made here. You didnt get something because it cost too much, and you lived with that. Not now. Peoples values and morals have changed. People feel entitled, well you got it. Live with it. Read again my last sentence of the first paragraph.
^^^^^^This! All of it. WE are the problem. I was taught growing up to go without. We weren't poor by any stretch, but I was taught austerity, not to be showy, and to be humble. The entire society is different now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:28 AM
 
10,541 posts, read 13,058,630 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The U.S. does place anti-dumping tariffs. Google is your friend. Examples:

From an article dated February 4, just 3 weeks ago:


China upset at high US tariffs on steel imports | South China Morning Post

From an article dated October 27, 2017:


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...m-foil-imports
I'm constantly amazed at just how clueless the trumpkins are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:31 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,126,307 times
Reputation: 14556
None of the pro-Trump / pro-tariff people ever explained to me how they figure that this targets China.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,201 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Why is it OK for the EU to place tariffs, but not the US?



Europe is stepping up its fight against cheap Chinese steel imports in an attempt to save thousands of jobs.

The European Union announced Friday that it would impose new tariffs of up to 13% on Chinese imports. Chinese companies have been accused of selling unwanted steel in Europe for less than it costs to produce and export, suffocating local rivals.

China produces half of the world's steel, more than the United States, European Union, Russia and Japan combined.


Europe slaps anti-dumping tariffs on Chinese steel imports - Jan. 29, 2016

From a Chinese perspective:
https://www.politico.eu/article/opin...mping-imports/

Also, when poorer countries produce stuff cheaper due to their cheap labor and sell it abroad, why is that dumping? Why doesn't anyone refer to US and EU agricultural exports as dumping? It is also based on the low cost of production (in this case via automation) and of course subsidies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,126,307 times
Reputation: 14556
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Why is it OK for the EU to place tariffs, but not the US?
No one is arguing that the US cannot place tariffs. We do it all the time, in fact, and I bet you'd have to go back many decades to find a president who never once imposed a tariff. The issue is the WHAT and the WHY and the WHO.

The EU placed 13% tariffs on China

We just placed a 25% tariff on all steel from all nations, and most of our imports come from Canada, Mexico, Brazil, S. Korea, Russia, and Turkey.

so step 1 to understanding this is to understand the details of WHAT, WHY and WHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 11:15 AM
 
Location: United States
10,933 posts, read 5,037,718 times
Reputation: 5195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
From a Chinese perspective:
https://www.politico.eu/article/opin...mping-imports/

Also, when poorer countries produce stuff cheaper due to their cheap labor and sell it abroad, why is that dumping? Why doesn't anyone refer to US and EU agricultural exports as dumping? It is also based on the low cost of production (in this case via automation) and of course subsidies...
They do.

Mexican farmers have opposed US dumping of agricultural goods for many years.



We're seeing a fundamental economic strategy shift, it will not be without its bumps in the road. There will be those that benefit from the current strategy that will oppose this, and cause all the drama we are currently seeing.

This is why the corporate media opposed Trump.

This is why the donor class opposed Trump.

This is why the establishment government on both sides opposed Trump.

There are trillions of dollars at state for those that benefit from the current strategy, they will resist for as long as they can.

In time, everyone will adjust, the world is not ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 11:24 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,126,307 times
Reputation: 14556
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
We're seeing a fundamental economic strategy shift, it will not be without its bumps in the road. There will be those that benefit from the current strategy that will oppose this, and cause all the drama we are currently seeing.

This is why the corporate media opposed Trump.

This is why the donor class opposed Trump.

This is why the establishment government on both sides opposed Trump.

There are trillions of dollars at state for those that benefit from the current strategy, they will resist for as long as they can.

In time, everyone will adjust, the world is not ending.
You speak as if the beneficiaries of this are not just another corporate media, another donor class, and another establishment.

This is going to slightly increase everyone's prices at the grocery store, at the gas station, etc., for benefits which are not well-defined and at this stage seem to mostly be steel company shareholders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 11:30 AM
 
6,245 posts, read 2,665,411 times
Reputation: 2309
The GOPE crony capitalist, free traders are having melt downs because Trump is demanding a fair trading field. Their “free trading “ policies have been anything but for the USA. How dare an American president demand equal treatment from other countries in trade policy.

In reality these “free traders” will almost all be found to have some $ to lose out of their bank accounts or those of their good friends in other countries, of course at the continued expense of more Americans losing their jobs but both parties consider that just the cost of doing business and jeopardizing national security, not a problem for the elites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 11:31 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,126,307 times
Reputation: 14556
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The GOPE crony capitalist, free traders are having melt downs because Trump is demanding a fair trading field.
wait, what? how is this a step towards a fair trading field? most of our imports come from Canada

Quote:
In reality these “free traders” will almost all be found to have some $ to lose out of their bank accounts or those of their good friends in other countries, of course at the continued expense of more Americans losing their jobs but both parties consider that just the cost of doing business and jeopardizing national security, not a problem for the elites.
you seem have some really wild expectations for what this tariff can and will achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,201 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
They do.

Mexican farmers have opposed US dumping of agricultural goods for many years.



We're seeing a fundamental economic strategy shift, it will not be without its bumps in the road. There will be those that benefit from the current strategy that will oppose this, and cause all the drama we are currently seeing.

This is why the corporate media opposed Trump.

This is why the donor class opposed Trump.

This is why the establishment government on both sides opposed Trump.

There are trillions of dollars at state for those that benefit from the current strategy, they will resist for as long as they can.

In time, everyone will adjust, the world is not ending.
So, have the Mexicans introduced tariffs on agricultural exports? Or has the US stopped its huge agricultural subsidies?

The problem with both the US and the EU is that they love to benefit from unfair trade practices, but complain as soon as someone else benefits from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top