Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,516,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So basically you posted a link that disproved your assertion that there was zero mass shooting before the Australian gun laws were changed???

Thanks for playing.

I should add the word "school" to my post.

It doesn't seem like gun law solved jack in Australia.

Thanks for playing.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,718,376 times
What's the reason that the people on the left don't want armed guards in schools?

I suppose because they want an American society that is more or less free of guns or at least most guns. Armed guards might work, to some extent at least, and that would keep the status quo i.e. lots of guns.

I also suppose that a society with guarded schools sends a rather grim message.

Personally, I think it should be done due to my own schooling experience and the fact that we are not going to become Australia anytime soon.

And no, the Left does not want lots of dead kids for Chrissakes.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:05 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,109,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Thanks for playing.
So, stopping all other types of mass shootings isn't an accomplishment to you?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,031,217 times
Very simple: More guns = more gun deaths. Why go looking for trouble? There seems to be enough of it around already.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:09 PM

29,149 posts, read 14,444,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What's the reason that the people on the left don't want armed guards in schools?

I suppose because they want an American society that is more or less free of guns or at least most guns. Armed guards might work, to some extent at least, and that would keep the status quo i.e. lots of guns.

I also suppose that a society with guarded schools sends a rather grim message.

Personally, I think it should be done due to my own schooling experience and the fact that we are not going to become Australia anytime soon.

And no, the Left does not want lots of dead kids for Chrissakes.

What is that message ? That the world isn't full of unicorns and candy canes ? That in fact the world is a dangerous place with bad people and we can't always protect what we love but we can try ?

Until some sort of workable solution involving people with mental illnesses, and firearms restrictions happens , we've got to keep the kids safe.

I've mentioned this before. Here at work, we have armed guards walking the campus. As far as I've heard people had no problems when they implemented them.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,718,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What is that message ? That the world isn't full of unicorns and candy canes ? That in fact the world is a dangerous place with bad people and we can't always protect what we love but we can try ?

Until some sort of workable solution involving people with mental illnesses, and firearms restrictions happens , we've got to keep the kids safe.

I've mentioned this before. Here at work, we have armed guards walking the campus. As far as I've heard people had no problems when they implemented them.
Well, yea.

If you search my recent posts, you will find where I speak of how my middle and high school had a real cop assigned to it. I support that.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:14 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,325,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Because it means guns in schools.

To them, guns in schools = more school shootings. Period. That is as far as their thinking and logic goes.

That's ironic, because there have been guns in Ft. Knox ever since its beginning, yet there has never been a shootout there. Hmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Very simple: More guns = more gun deaths. Why go looking for trouble? There seems to be enough of it around already.
Ha! Only took until the 6th page to prove my point!

Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,960,225 times
A good amount of schools already have armed guards. They are called School Resource Officers. If you want more armed guards, are these guards state employees? Cops? Armed Private security? For any of these, who is to pay for this? Schools today can barely get funding for needed school supplies, let alone have the funding to provide armed guards.

There are over 98,000 public schools (k-12)in America.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=84

Say you hire 2 armed guards at $100,000 (50K each) a year for each school, this costs taxpayers an additional 9.8 Billion dollars. This isn't chump change and there is still no guarantee that this will stop school shootings.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM

8,041 posts, read 3,615,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Thanks for playing.
Nope, it had a huge impact:

Australia

Old 03-01-2018, 01:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
A good amount of schools already have armed guards. They are called School Resource Officers. If you want more armed guards, are these guards state employees? Cops? Armed Private security? For any of these, who is to pay for this? Schools today can barely get funding for needed school supplies, let alone have the funding to provide armed guards.

There are over 98,000 public schools (k-12)in America.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=84

Say you hire 2 armed guards at $100,000 (50K each) a year for each school, this costs taxpayers an additional 9.8 Billion dollars. This isn't chump change and there is still no guarantee that this will stop school shootings.
Why would taxpayers need to even a penny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies