U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM

66,128 posts, read 33,571,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so all those people who claim they were born gay are what... lying? or just wrong?

it's a choice after all?
The culture you are raised in, and what culture you join into at puberty.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:54 PM

18,667 posts, read 6,728,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The culture you are raised in, and what culture you join into at puberty.
False, but thanks for playing

Old 03-08-2018, 12:55 PM

26,180 posts, read 18,884,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
He didn't mention anything about gay people; you did, trying to put him in a logical trap
so people choose to be transgender but don't choose to be gay? that's the only way bringing up gay people would be irrelevant to this conversation.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:57 PM

1,183 posts, read 456,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nF...tu.be&t=47m27s

It's the undeniable truth that transgenders cannot deny. If gender is a social construct then how does one know what they are before being told what a girl or boy is? This make believe crap has gone on for too long and young children are now pressured into becoming a freakshow because it's the new fad among liberal communities. His guest stumbles through a response then says, "Why are we talking about this again?" Triggered.

I haven't seen someone make that point before. Feminism and SJW identity politics are so flawed and inconsistent. Feelings over facts.
Oh, dear...if you are going to try to parse out words to prove some point, better to have a clearer understanding. You are conflating gender, sex, and I don't know what else. Sex typically applies to biological characteristics, but it isn't set it stone. The words we use are often individual choices and are chosen to reflect individual identity. Gender tends to refer more to the spectrum of masculine and feminine, and is often not considered purely binary. So, perhaps gender is a social construct, but I don't have to limit myself to "traditional" gender behavior or identities.

So, all in all, your argument doesn't hold water. And it doesn't matter. You do you, and let others be who they need to be.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so people choose to be transgender but don't choose to be gay? that's the only way bringing up gay people would be irrelevant to this conversation.
People don't choose to be Transgender, not the legitimate ones anyways. And no, someone isn't transgender just because they put on a dress, that's a transvestite

Old 03-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Status: "Pondering the difference between America and AmeriKKKa" (set 22 hours ago)

3,958 posts, read 2,088,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post

It's the undeniable truth that transgenders cannot deny. If gender is a social construct then how does one know what they are before being told what a girl or boy is? This make believe crap has gone on for too long and young children are now pressured into becoming a freakshow because it's the new fad among liberal communities. His guest stumbles through a response then says, "Why are we talking about this again?" Triggered.

I haven't seen someone make that point before. Feminism and SJW identity politics are so flawed and inconsistent. Feelings over facts.
* This assumes that ALL or even most liberals believe that gender is a social construct. I don't agree with this, but I don't look down on people who do agree with this. There are certain activities, airs, interests, personal inclinations, and ways of being that tend to fall very strictly along lines typical of one gender or another, which is very tightly correlated with anatomical sex.

* Gender is strictly a matter of what the person's consciousness / thought process is most effortless/natural gender identity to them, which gender they feel most comfortable identifying with (which types of activities feel most "natural" to them, which body language is most congruent with what is typical with their gender, etc.). That means the anatomy can be, for example, male; yet their brain can be female. Again, I remind you, this liberal does not believe gender is just a social construct. Which leads to my next point.

* IMO, the gender debate largely rests on superficialities - like whether the society considers X activity "feminine" and Y activity "manly" merely based on idealized gender archetypes, especially exaggerated ones (the exaggerated ones are glorified on largely arbitrary grounds anyway). Examples are that boys are supposed to play rough sports whle girls are supposed to play house, etc. So self-identification may be partially (not completely) due to confusing actual gender inclinations with society's idealized gender archetypes. Even so, that still does not change the fact that regardless of any society's archetypes for idealized males and females, some people's consciousness, brain, whatever is going to identify more with being the opposite gender.

* Even assuming (and the key word here is assuming) TG is a mental disorder, that presupposes that the mental disorder actually harms or hurls indignity toward another person in the first place. For example, a person can think he's an angel from heaven. I don't care, as long as they don't try to assert authority even partially on those grounds over others who don't agree they are an angel. Still less do I care if a person self-identifies as the "opposite gender" assuming the traditional two-gender dichotomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart
young children are now pressured into becoming a freakshow because it's the new fad among liberal communities
Pressured? By who? Tell me, exactly, who is pressuring a cisgendered person to become like the opposite gender. You're confusing actual pressuring with simple calls to not degrade / hurl indignities at those who are different from 99% of people of their anatomical sex.

Freakshow - this is simply petty personal distaste and nothing more, and I would go so far as to say it's a bigotry. And that term also applies to other distastes against harmless (if irritating) differences way, way outside the transsexuality issue (i.e. sexual orientation, high-functioning autism, odd ideas of social interaction, strange ideas of how the world works, and lots of others). Mainstream society has a poor track record of discerning about which kinds of people deserve contempt and which do not. In the past, it's been wrong about people of different languages, wrong about different religions, wrong about different races, wrong about gender archetypes ("appropriate spheres" for men and likewise for women), and wrong about sexual orientation. So you'll excuse me when I stopped taking seriously traditional definitions of who's worthy of respect or disrespect. That definitely includes one's gender self-identification too.

Last edited by Phil75230; 03-08-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 733,865 times
The concept of transgender is something the liberals promoted. A conservative says: a man with a penis is a man. A liberal says: a man with a penis is a woman. Transgender and homosexuality stem from mental illness. The liberals support of mental illness as normal and wholesome behavior has left society very confused.

The conservatives messed up by trying to 'go along - to get along.' They should have been fighting homosexual marriage and the genderqueer movement tooth and nail and labeling it correctly as a mental illness.

Sadly if you dare to say anything about it and deviate from the liberals party line, the liberals have society so bamboozled, you get labeled a bigot and homophobe.

The conservatives learned their lesson...they will not make the same mistake with guns.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
The concept of transgender is something the liberals promoted. A conservative says: a man with a penis is a man. A liberal says: a man with a penis is a woman.

The conservatives messed up by trying to 'go along - to get along.' They should have been fighting homosexual marriage and the genderqueer movement tooth and nail.

Sadly if you dare to say anything about it, the liberals have society bamboozled into labeling you as a bigot and homophobe if you deviate from the liberals party line.

The conservatives learned their lesson. They will not make the same mistake with guns.
No, no they don't. You made that up. And anyways, the first notable transsexual was Einar Wegener, who had sex reassignment surgery over 80 years ago. So transsexuals existed well before millennials were even a twinkle in their parents eyes

And no, the party of "personal liberty" should NOT have fought against gay marriage. It doesn't harm anyone

Old 03-08-2018, 02:09 PM

26,180 posts, read 18,884,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People don't choose to be Transgender, not the legitimate ones anyways. And no, someone isn't transgender just because they put on a dress, that's a transvestite
so the poster i quoted was wrong about people 'choosing' to be transgender?

maybe you should go chastise him, then.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:15 PM

3,003 posts, read 2,449,311 times
Gender expression is a social construct.
Gender identity (like biological sex) is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies