U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 PM

26,609 posts, read 11,139,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Because you need an AK47, AR15, or something similar to be free, right?
Yes

Quote:
Is this because the local robbers are immune to revolver rounds and the deer are immune to buckshot? Or, is it - as is so often the case - the supposed need for weapons of war to "kill duh gubermint?"

Nobody is talking about getting rid of all or even most guns, but not a single person on the far-right has presented a half-way convincing argument as to why they "need" assault weapons vs. other guns, why there should be easy ways around background checks before purchase, why people on the no-fly list can still buy guns, and so on.

Every single defense they present is either hyperbola about the guns they "need to be free," reduction to the absurd about gun laws - "any gun law = taking all our guns away," or just outright lies regarding how "a nation needs lots of guns to be safe," such as ignoring the fact that nearly every other developed nation on the planet has better gun laws, fewer high-end guns, and far less gun crime and crime in general.
The ones in defense of self protection aren't the ones lying here

Quote:
This isn't about "freedom," it's about common sense, and it is sad just how many people value their nutty arsenals and extremist views ("kill duh gubermint!") more than the lives of others.
It is about freedom. It's about common sense, and it is sad just how many people don't remember the past and extremist views our gubermint has and how they don't value the lives of others.

Do you think the slaves would have liked an AR-15? What about blacks during the Jim Crow era? Do you think they would have liked AR-15s? Do you think people in the Middle East want AR-15s to fight against our government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 PM

4,416 posts, read 1,874,299 times
Get your people under control.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 PM

5,282 posts, read 4,023,521 times
Quote:
Nobody is arguing the "advantages of being armed," which is all that quote says. I'm not in favor of taking all guns, or even most guns, and most people are perfectly capable of having a gun. But nobody has yet presented a convincing argument as to why citizens need to own weapons of war. And, quite frankly, if the only reason you can come up with is to "kill duh gubermint," that's not only a terrible reason but an impossibility anyway.

It amazes me how the far-right gun-lovers wave their flags around, but when pressed on WHY they need absurd firepower, destroying the nation they supposedly love is always at the top of that list. I think they have no understanding of how badly most revolutions end for the people and how the American Revolution was an extreme exception to the rule. Any backward, theocratic government installed by the "kill duh gubermint!" types would be on par with the worst ones we see in the Middle East.

The right to bear arms does NOT translate into "the right to bear ANY arms you want, regardless of your past, mental state, criminal background, etc." I'm very tired of the right pretending that is the case.
How is an AR15 a weapon of war? It's no different than many of the other rifles that we have now. It only looks like one because it's black and has a pistol grip. The weapon of war that looks like an ar15 is one that is full auto. Functions differently, why can't you people get that?
There's several handguns that the military uses that civilians can own, yet you don't call them weapons of war.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 PM

5,282 posts, read 4,023,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why does anyone need a gun that looks like it’s a military weapon designed to kill people?

“Shall not be infringed” means I can buy nukes, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, and fully-automatic weapons, right?

Wrong.

Means you get to own guns. Does not mean you get to own any kind you want.
ahh , so now the truth gets out.
You don't want to ban the ar15 rifle because it's more dangerous, you want to ban it because you are scared of it's looks.
Therein lies the fault of the reasoning. At least you admit to not wanting to ban it to save kids lives. You want to ban it because it's scary looking. Good to know.
I'm sure the relatives of the children that died in Florida would truly appreciate your intentions.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 PM

31,274 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Because the issue is not about one killer, it's about the same thing happening over and over again
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-02-2018, 12:17 AM

1,623 posts, read 823,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because the issue is not about one killer, it's about the same thing happening over and over again

You are quite correct, it does seem to happening over and over. I don't really have a answer to fix the problem, I wish I did. It has been suggested to have returning military personal to be tasked to stand guard in the schools, as a deterrent.

I am in favor of this, even if it raised taxes, they would have the discipline to stand their ground, take a long watch and still keep being vigilant, plus they already have an increased amount of training.

But as we both know the darn firearms are not going off by them selves, someone is out to commit a heinous act and is pulling the trigger.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:27 AM

2,131 posts, read 818,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Millions of gun owners are not the problem. Keep your guns and hunker down for the pending invasion or government breakdown or zombie apocalypse. (Good luck from the nuclear attacks though from Russia or North Korea though.)

We want to keep the guns out of the hands of the "one killer" though. Or people like him.
Nice try vilifying gun owners as paranoid nut jobs. You'll find that reality is much less interesting than your zombie apocalypse/government breakdown/invasion theory. Most of us just want some way of protecting ourselves from criminals. That's all. Chances are the most of us will never need to defend ourselves with a firearm, but that doesn't preclude the need for one or make us paranoid. Using your logic, there would be no reason to carry fire insurance on your home because the possibility of your house burning down is pretty small. However, much like the homeowner with no insurance whose house is destroyed in a fire, you're going to fell pretty stupid (justifiably so) when an armed intruder attacks your family and you have no way of defending them.

Denying millions of people the ability to protect themselves because a relatively small number of people misuse a tool (a gun, in this case) to commit crimes is the very definition of irrational hysteria. Welcome to the nut house.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:02 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,218,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I support whatever it takes to keep guns out of schools.

1.3 million active duty all over the world and 800,000 in Reserve.

I also acknowledge that most schools will never experience a mass shooting no matter what they do, or not.
metal detectors
badge entry
cameras
security
limited access

This stops it

Old 03-02-2018, 05:06 AM

18,053 posts, read 10,077,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
In the words of so many instructors that came before you or I, " words mean things".
Just as I said. No. I don't have faith that you would use the term correctly.

Also, I've read your article, andas I've already said, it doesn't apply to federal law or any other states.
No prob, dude. I have no faith you could understand much of what I say, anyway.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:07 AM

9,430 posts, read 2,291,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Predators hate it when their prey shoots back at them.
'nuff said.
People need something to kill themselves with when the time comes.

'nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or