Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

oh, I'm not confusing anything.

the thread title screams BOO HOO!

similar to jared Kushner when he said he felt 'picked on' upon finding out he's not above the law! awww, poor baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 05:57 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am not so sure the reporting reflects what really happened. Not that I can defend them at this point but I wonder if something important has been left out of the reporting.

I don't believe the average citizen would do any better than trained professionals in a situation of this sort.
i think you underestimate the average person.
I think I am probably overestimating them.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:00 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Lat's face it, weapons like the AR 15 are basically just toys. They serve no constructive purpose, people go out to play with them.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:13 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh please, there are somewhere in the tens of thousands of gun laws in this Country at every level and that's for all firearms, not just a few.
And those "thousands" are mostly toothless and ineffective, the NRA and almost everyone else knows it. This argument: "we have lots of (ineffective) gun laws already," doesn't explain why we shouldn't start having some effective laws to address the gun problems we have now.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
They can't

Next.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 AM

477 posts, read 276,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
And those "thousands" are mostly toothless and ineffective, the NRA and almost everyone else knows it. This argument: "we have lots of (ineffective) gun laws already," doesn't explain why we shouldn't start having some effective laws to address the gun problems we have now.
So... effective laws?

I would pass the following:

Make it illegal to bring a firearm into a school... oh wait.

Make it illegal to murder people... oh wait.

Ah, I know what you're getting at. Make it illegal to purchase a gun!

So a person who wants to break that BIGGEST of laws, the law against murder, with all the penalties and consequences that come with it, who wants to kill innocent people, is going to let the inability to legally walk into a store and purchase a gun deter him or her from their destructive fantasy? They're not going to google "how to buy a gun on the black market?" They're not going to try and steal a gun?

It's illegal to buy and use meth.

That doesn't stop MILLIONS of users in the USA alone.

Why? Because they want it badly enough. Badly enough to break multiple laws.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:44 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
The NRA enables mass child murderers by fighting bans on AK-15s. To the extent it speaks for its members, they are the problem.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 AM

309 posts, read 246,349 times
>> How can millions of gun owners be the problem because of one killer?
For the same reason billions of Muslims are considered potential threats because of actions of few thousands extremists.
For the same reason millions of African Americans are considered "thugs" because of actions of few gang bangers.
For the same reason millions of Latin Americans are considered illegal because of actions of some.

People like to generalize and blame the whole group due to action of anyone in the group. It is wrong to blame all the gun owners for actions of some deranged killer and is similarly wrong to blame any group because of action of others in their group.

Thanks,

Old 03-03-2018, 08:32 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Mainstream Media, the Democrats, Education, and most of Government HATES that law abiding citizens can be legally armed. Admit it, they just do. It is a CONTROL ISSUE. Period.
Sober, law abiding citizens that are cool and intelligent to know what they are doing at all times, and know where their guns are, should be congratulated. What concerns me, is that there are too many people that are not in your category.

Why not ban assault weapons and make it harder for the not so calm, cool and collected people from buying killing machines. Gun shows, internet sales are not (at least, I don't think) regulated as they should be. When folks trade or sell guns to friends or other parties, can we be sure, they are not holding grudges and have something weird in mind. There are so many questions.

My main concern about guns, is that they are too quick to kill. Anger, drinking, drugs, grab that gun and kill? Plus, I don't agree that assault weapons have any place hunting deer and other game. I think hunting/food, what's left if you kill a deer with an assault weapon?

These are just my thoughts. Rip them up as you may. My main hope is that the NRA, stops running our country. I don't have any grudge against any NRA member, it's the leadership of the NRA that I don't respect, buying the leaders, of our country.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:13 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
How can millions of gun owners be the problem because of one killer?

the same way an entire race of people can be maligned because of the actions of a few.

the same way all Hispanics in the country are looked upon as illegal.

the same way a religion is deemed evil because of the actions of some.

RWNJ's right here in this forum have taken the above stances over and over again.

NOW they don't appreciate the same mindset?

poor dears! poor wittle snowflakes! can dish it out but cry when asked to take it!
The same way all cops are jackbooted thugs with guns, white males are all perpetrators of sexual assault, military personnel are all useful puppets of the military industrial complex, and Trump is Hitler incarnate. So many over-generalizations, so little time.

Juvenile, simplistic posts like the one above (and there are plenty more similar examples floating all over this board) do nothing to help a situation, increase understanding, or open doors to meaningful conversation. It's the only way that some know how to communicate, and is what pitifully passes (too often these days) for intellectual debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies