U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-03-2018, 06:42 AM
 
6,860 posts, read 2,450,072 times
Reputation: 3450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What's with Lefties and polls?"

Because MOST polls talk to MORE dems then repubs, therefore the "results" favor the dems, even though the repubs hold MORE state and federal government elected positions.

Example Quinnipiac :

"
PARTY IDENTIFICATION QUESTION WORDING
-
Generally speaking, do you consider yourself a
Republican, a Democrat, an Independent, or what?
REGISTERED VOTERS
PARTY IDENTIFICATION
Republican 22%


Democrat 33%

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/u...os_uplo98.pdf/

These numbers NEVER change.

It is what they use for EVERY POLL they do.

They poll 11% MORE dems the repubs EVERY TIME.
There’s more people that identify as Democrats than Republicans. It’s been a rarity when in the past that hasn’t been true. What’s more difficult is identifying likely voters and voter intensity among groups. Trying to arbitrarily assign the same number of D’s and R’s in a poll sample defeats the purpose of a poll because party ID is subject to change.

But this isn’t a poll. It’s a generational survey. Elections are determined by who shows up to vote, but there are clearly sharp differences in viewpoints held by generation, and Trump is exacerbating those differences and is supported most strongly by the oldest generations that lose voting share with every passing year.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-03-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2018, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,426 posts, read 7,389,742 times
Reputation: 10798
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
America is a federation not a confederation, states' rights are a LIMITED achievement, states have a limit on how far they can go, and whoever has always determined that limit ...throughout history has been the Supreme Court.... and the Congress... the South has not. can continue to apply segregation, california can not ban arms, mississipi can not criminalize sodomy, talking about state rights is an illusion, this has never really existed.
I strongly disagree with your assessment. The rights of states to make thier own laws are spelled out in the 10th amendment, liberals don’t like this FACT but it is there. The responsibilities and limits of federal power are clearly spelled out in the constitution as a whole, and the Bill of rights protections are very clear. Your right that states cannot violate constitutional protections either so yes segregation is illegal as well as banning gun ownership. States cannot infringe upon free speech, deny due process or inflict cruel punishment upon criminals. However you liberals read what you want to see into the constitution. The constitution does NOT protect the right to commit an abortion, a right to engage in immoral activities like sodomy, does gaurantee the right of gays to marry, does not protect the right of transgender types to publicly engage in thier behavior or the right to use the bathroom of thier choice. The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment has been repeatedly abused by leftist courts in thier endeavors to legislate unpopular liberal social values where they would normally have zero chance of being adopted. This is illegal and unconstitutional for three reasons.

1. The 10th amendment clearly gives the states the right to make these laws
2.. The courts are going around the constitution and successfully legislating from the bench.
3. The 14th amendment was written to protect blacks freed from slavery from having thier rights infringed upon, the equal protection clause was written to ensure the law was applied equally to them. This amendment had nothing to do with the right to engage in deviant sexual behavior of any kind, nor did it protect abortion or regulate marriage law (outside of race issues).

It is high time states stand up to the feds on this. The gay marriage ruling was a missed opportunity to reassert the 10th amendment, states should have refused to obey and nullify the ruling. The feds would have had to choose between backing down or igniting a possible civil war. Gay marriage, abortion, drug laws all are sound examples of issues that should be settled by states. You lefties think it is your right to tell me how to live from afar, this attitude will bring an end to this country. If you don’t like the laws of southern states then move up north, don’t like the liberal north then pack up and move. What you don’t have the right to do is tell people in other states and other regions how to live or what they should or should not think. I will say again, time for this country to respect the constitution or prepare for a messy breakup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,522 posts, read 6,656,424 times
Reputation: 5641
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I strongly disagree with your assessment. The rights of states to make thier own laws are spelled out in the 10th amendment, liberals don’t like this FACT but it is there. The responsibilities and limits of federal power are clearly spelled out in the constitution as a whole, and the Bill of rights protections are very clear. Your right that states cannot violate constitutional protections either so yes segregation is illegal as well as banning gun ownership. States cannot infringe upon free speech, deny due process or inflict cruel punishment upon criminals. However you liberals read what you want to see into the constitution. The constitution does NOT protect the right to commit an abortion, a right to engage in immoral activities like sodomy, does gaurantee the right of gays to marry, does not protect the right of transgender types to publicly engage in thier behavior or the right to use the bathroom of thier choice. The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment has been repeatedly abused by leftist courts in thier endeavors to legislate unpopular liberal social values where they would normally have zero chance of being adopted. This is illegal and unconstitutional for three reasons.

1. The 10th amendment clearly gives the states the right to make these laws
2.. The courts are going around the constitution and successfully legislating from the bench.
3. The 14th amendment was written to protect blacks freed from slavery from having thier rights infringed upon, the equal protection clause was written to ensure the law was applied equally to them. This amendment had nothing to do with the right to engage in deviant sexual behavior of any kind, nor did it protect abortion or regulate marriage law (outside of race issues).

It is high time states stand up to the feds on this. The gay marriage ruling was a missed opportunity to reassert the 10th amendment, states should have refused to obey and nullify the ruling. The feds would have had to choose between backing down or igniting a possible civil war. Gay marriage, abortion, drug laws all are sound examples of issues that should be settled by states. You lefties think it is your right to tell me how to live from afar, this attitude will bring an end to this country. If you don’t like the laws of southern states then move up north, don’t like the liberal north then pack up and move. What you don’t have the right to do is tell people in other states and other regions how to live or what they should or should not think. I will say again, time for this country to respect the constitution or prepare for a messy breakup.
There's also nothing in the Constitution that says what you list as "deviant acts" are illegal either. And maybe in your rural backwater are things like abortion and gay marriage verboten, but most of the country doesn't agree with you and your intolerance for those different from yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 10:37 AM
 
5,568 posts, read 3,631,988 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I strongly disagree with your assessment. The rights of states to make thier own laws are spelled out in the 10th amendment, liberals don’t like this FACT but it is there. The responsibilities and limits of federal power are clearly spelled out in the constitution as a whole, and the Bill of rights protections are very clear. Your right that states cannot violate constitutional protections either so yes segregation is illegal as well as banning gun ownership. States cannot infringe upon free speech, deny due process or inflict cruel punishment upon criminals. However you liberals read what you want to see into the constitution. The constitution does NOT protect the right to commit an abortion, a right to engage in immoral activities like sodomy, does gaurantee the right of gays to marry, does not protect the right of transgender types to publicly engage in thier behavior or the right to use the bathroom of thier choice. The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment has been repeatedly abused by leftist courts in thier endeavors to legislate unpopular liberal social values where they would normally have zero chance of being adopted. This is illegal and unconstitutional for three reasons.

1. The 10th amendment clearly gives the states the right to make these laws
2.. The courts are going around the constitution and successfully legislating from the bench.
3. The 14th amendment was written to protect blacks freed from slavery from having thier rights infringed upon, the equal protection clause was written to ensure the law was applied equally to them. This amendment had nothing to do with the right to engage in deviant sexual behavior of any kind, nor did it protect abortion or regulate marriage law (outside of race issues).

It is high time states stand up to the feds on this. The gay marriage ruling was a missed opportunity to reassert the 10th amendment, states should have refused to obey and nullify the ruling. The feds would have had to choose between backing down or igniting a possible civil war. Gay marriage, abortion, drug laws all are sound examples of issues that should be settled by states. You lefties think it is your right to tell me how to live from afar, this attitude will bring an end to this country. If you don’t like the laws of southern states then move up north, don’t like the liberal north then pack up and move. What you don’t have the right to do is tell people in other states and other regions how to live or what they should or should not think. I will say again, time for this country to respect the constitution or prepare for a messy breakup.
NEWS FLASH GENIUS! YOUR WHOLE POST IS ABOUT TELLING OTHERS HOW TO LIVE WHO DON'T CONFORM TO YOUR VIEWS!

The second paragraph of the United States Declaration of Independence starts as follows: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Nobody is making you marry a gay person.

Nobody is making you get an abortion.

Nobody is making you smoke weed.

One day all the backwards thinking, hypocritical, authoritarian fossils will fade away and stop blemishing this country with their contempt and want to forcefully control their fellow citizens.

Live and let live.

Mind your own business.

Disgraceful.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 03-03-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Austin
11,991 posts, read 6,847,985 times
Reputation: 13271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
YOUR WHOLE POST IS ABOUT TELLING OTHERS HOW TO LIVE WHO DON'T CONFORM TO YOUR VIEWS!
progressives don't tell people "how to live" their lives?

progressives keep conservative speakers off campuses by violence and destroying property.

Progressives tell religious people they must do things that go against their religion or their livelihood will be destroyed.

Progressives tell law abiding citizens they must give up their guns.

Progressives tell white males they are bad people.

progressives ban books, wonderful books, like "to kill a mockingbird".

I'm not a protestor on the streets or a twitter warrior, but i have a vote. progressives are the only fascist group I've encountered in my long life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:26 PM
 
5,568 posts, read 3,631,988 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
progressives don't tell people "how to live" their lives?

progressives keep conservative speakers off campuses by violence and destroying property.

Progressives tell religious people they must do things that go against their religion or their livelihood will be destroyed.

Progressives tell law abiding citizens they must give up their guns.

Progressives tell white males they are bad people.

progressives ban books, wonderful books, like "to kill a mockingbird".

I'm not a protestor on the streets or a twitter warrior, but i have a vote. progressives are the only fascist group I've encountered in my long life.
Do you turn everything into a partisan issue or a tit for tat?

My post stands for all ideologies. There's ****ty people in all of them.

Point still stands. Don't claim to be a conservative wanting small government while in the same breath wanting government to control how others live their lives.

Conservatives like my previous post quoted need to stop pretending to be victims while at the same time trying to make others less than equal to themselves in this country. That is the opposite of what the United States stands for.

Go be conservative. Leave others alone to follow their beliefs. As long as someone isn't physically hurting someone or their property, live and let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Austin
11,991 posts, read 6,847,985 times
Reputation: 13271
squidworth, progressive ideology is the death of "live and let live".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 06:02 PM
 
5,568 posts, read 3,631,988 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
squidworth, progressive ideology is the death of "live and let live".
That's a simpletons out look on something.

A progressive saying white men are bad people is the same as a conservative telling a gay couple they can't get married.

A progressive trying to take away guns is the same as a conservative telling someone they can't smoke pot.

A progressive trying to take away guns is the same as a conservative telling a women she doesn't have the choice on options directly involving her body.

None of them represent live and let live. They all need to mind their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
321 posts, read 118,068 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I strongly disagree with your assessment. The rights of states to make thier own laws are spelled out in the 10th amendment, liberals don’t like this FACT but it is there. The responsibilities and limits of federal power are clearly spelled out in the constitution as a whole, and the Bill of rights protections are very clear. Your right that states cannot violate constitutional protections either so yes segregation is illegal as well as banning gun ownership. States cannot infringe upon free speech, deny due process or inflict cruel punishment upon criminals. However you liberals read what you want to see into the constitution. The constitution does NOT protect the right to commit an abortion, a right to engage in immoral activities like sodomy, does gaurantee the right of gays to marry, does not protect the right of transgender types to publicly engage in thier behavior or the right to use the bathroom of thier choice. The equal protection clause of the 14th amendment has been repeatedly abused by leftist courts in thier endeavors to legislate unpopular liberal social values where they would normally have zero chance of being adopted. This is illegal and unconstitutional for three reasons.

1. The 10th amendment clearly gives the states the right to make these laws
2.. The courts are going around the constitution and successfully legislating from the bench.
3. The 14th amendment was written to protect blacks freed from slavery from having thier rights infringed upon, the equal protection clause was written to ensure the law was applied equally to them. This amendment had nothing to do with the right to engage in deviant sexual behavior of any kind, nor did it protect abortion or regulate marriage law (outside of race issues).

It is high time states stand up to the feds on this. The gay marriage ruling was a missed opportunity to reassert the 10th amendment, states should have refused to obey and nullify the ruling. The feds would have had to choose between backing down or igniting a possible civil war. Gay marriage, abortion, drug laws all are sound examples of issues that should be settled by states. You lefties think it is your right to tell me how to live from afar, this attitude will bring an end to this country. If you don’t like the laws of southern states then move up north, don’t like the liberal north then pack up and move. What you don’t have the right to do is tell people in other states and other regions how to live or what they should or should not think. I will say again, time for this country to respect the constitution or prepare for a messy breakup.

Amendment 14 is an amendment totally open to all kinds of judicial interpretation, it applies to the whole situation, the right of states is limited by federal power, so in fact there is no right of states. Just a set of rules that central power lets states take..

Decisions such as gay marriage, abortion, legal sodomy are based on constitutional principles, so says the body responsible for protecting the constitution that is the Supreme Court. If so the supreme court understands is why the constitutional charter of the margin for this kind of interpretation.

and if the constitution says that the rights of states are not above the letter, then questioning the legitimacy of those decisions is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Austin
11,991 posts, read 6,847,985 times
Reputation: 13271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
That's a simpletons out look on something.
do you think if I disagree with you I am a "simpleton"?

americans who disagreed with progressive politics did not march, throw rocks in storefronts, shut down free speech, or attack other americans who disagreed. we did not agree with Obama's policies. don't construe passive resistance with weakness.

we voted.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-03-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top