Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes the constitution does support my views. Your views are extra constitutional, like most liberals you see the constitution as a living document which can be interpreted by judges based on the current political winds. I take my rights seriously and I will stand up and defend them from the likes of you.

I am not crying victim, I am declaring that I refuse to be your victim.
Again, go read article 6.

It explicitly puts you in the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 07:47 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Who the hell sits around reading studies?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs

Old 03-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Ah the 14th amendment, the only amendment in the constitution a liberal knows. I am so sick of liberals using this or should I say abusing it. No where does it say gays have the right to marry or women have the right to an abortion. The only major modern rulings where this applies would be ending discrimination against blacks....you know the actual reason it was written. Sexual behavior, marriage law (other than race issues) abortion etc are all STATE ISSUES and the federal government has no right interfering in the will of the people of the states. Liberals have twisted the equal protection clause to support almost anything they need it to support. Should I have the right to marry my pickup truck? An extra wife or two? How are polygamists not being discriminated against if gays were? Obviously the 14th amendment was not written for this purpose.

Just because the Supreme Court ruled on this does not mean they were right. These rulings are always split down liberal/conservative divides, how impartial can the court be? The states have every right to ignore unconstitutional rulings. I look forward to the day we stand forcefully against the leftists, maybe secession is best for the country. Time for a national divorce.......irreconcilable differences
When you resort to strawman arguments, you have lost the debate

Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yes the constitution does support my views. Your views are extra constitutional, like most liberals you see the constitution as a living document which can be interpreted by judges based on the current political winds. I take my rights seriously and I will stand up and defend them from the likes of you.

I am not crying victim, I am declaring that I refuse to be your victim.
How does a gay couple getting married or some woman getting an abortion affect you that you care so much? I'm curious, odds are you don't even personally know any of said individuals, so it shouldn't affect you

Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
True. The general consensus of the studies that I have read is that while individuals may grow more conservative as they grow older, the vast majority of people are shaped by the politics when they reach adulthood and retain that identity for life.

The politics of American generations: How age affects attitudes and voting behavior | Pew Research Center
There's also different concepts of conservative. Not liking some sort of new music could be considered "conservative" - "music these days is all crud" - but the mindset that allowed Trump to win is a specific brand of tribalism (hating people who are different), gross misapplication of evangelical religious beliefs, and being tricked by a professional con artist.

Points 1 and 2 on that list - the extreme tribalism and using religion to justify assorted bad behavior and hatred of people who are different - are not finding much support among the young. Point 3 on the list - Trump's amazing skills as a con artist who's never held accountable for anything - is unique to this election. Any other crook like him would have lost, and almost candidate less crooked and with more charisma than Hillary could have beaten him. It took a very unique set of circumstances to allow Trump to win, and he STILL lost the popular vote... and his core supporters are passing on and not being replaced.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh and we all know how these studies work? geeze I am surprised anyone takes them really seriously. Oh and let's not forget Bill Frey from Brookings, Brookings is so middle of the road? Sure it is!!!!
Data is data. It’s neither liberal nor conservative.

If you can find a conservative analysis on generational change and political tendencies that’s based on hard data, I’d be interested is seeing it.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But there is no "demographic change" in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Or at least not much of one.
Here’s an article by Ron Brownstein from last May that looks at the demographics of the industrial medwest. The non-college white vote is decreasing universally, but it still represented 50% of all votes cast in Michigan, 51% in Pennsylvania, 54% in Ohio, nearly 57% in Wisconsin and nearly 60% in Iowa.

Quote:
Even so, blue-collar whites’ continued decline in the electorate, including in the states where they are most critical, reaffirms the concerns of Trump’s GOP critics that he is defining the party in a manner that wins over those voters at too high a price: the alienation of white-collar whites and minorities, two groups that are growing in number. “Nothing has repealed the long-term demographic trends in the electorate,” Ayres said.”What Trump did was lock us more completely into a declining portion of the electorate at the cost of an increasing portion of the electorate.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ection/528519/

As always, it’s going to be interesting in 2018 and 2020 to see how the different demographic groups alter their levels of support over time and more importantly, who shows up and how it breaks down by state and in the Electoral College.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-04-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Keep in mind that young voters are the ones most likely to be no-shows on election day while older voters are the most likely to never miss.

It has been that way for decades and I don't see any reason to believe the pattern will change.
Millennials will be the largest bloc of voters by 2020.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:39 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How does a gay couple getting married or some woman getting an abortion affect you that you care so much? I'm curious, odds are you don't even personally know any of said individuals, so it shouldn't affect you
Obviously I do not support gay marriage, however that is not he point I am making. My major beef is with how gay marriage was forced down our throats against our will. In most red states a vote was held where a majority of the people voted to outlaw gay marriage. That was the will of the people and the federal courts legislated gay marriage from the bench, this violates the 10th amendment. Our freedoms are precious and must be protected. Courts should not be making law, end of story.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Obviously I do not support gay marriage, however that is not he point I am making. My major beef is with how gay marriage was forced down our throats against our will. In most red states a vote was held where a majority of the people voted to outlaw gay marriage. That was the will of the people and the federal courts legislated gay marriage from the bench, this violates the 10th amendment. Our freedoms are precious and must be protected. Courts should not be making law, end of story.
I want you to read the bolded as many times as it takes until you see the irony in it......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies