Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Most people start becoming more conservative once they have responsibilities. Considering that more and more young people are staying in their parents' home until their late twenties or early thirties, it isn't really surprising that they are staying liberal longer. This doesn't mean that they won't become conservative, merely that they aren't there yet.
Really? My family is made up of professionals and a few business owners who have families themselves, and I only have one conservative of all of them, and he's an old school Republican at that (the style before PTL and the Moral Majority took over the party)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 02:50 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is important because despite the assumption by many that people turn conservative as they age, the reality is that most (but not all) folks keep their particular leanings throughout their life.

Slow down greywar!

The only political group that is growing is "unaffiliated".

As for those young people that are staying liberal, they'll become conservatives when they start paying income taxes.

The fact that they are delaying their entry into the full-time workforce and putting off marriage doesn't change that fact.

It's easy to be a liberal when someone else is paying for it.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I don't know gordo, the numbers don't quite add up as far as you suggesting the "old" people won the election for Trump. According to the link I will post below, people ages 65 and older only make up about 15% of the population as of 2016. Now, if you factor in the figures given at the beginning of this thread, which placed this group of people's political leanings as 43% Democrat/ 57% Republican, then you see that of that 15%, only around 9% would have actually been voting for Trump. That's only roughly 20% of the votes cast for Trump. Now I know the man did not win the popular vote, but he also didn't lose it by a landslide either. The split was roughly 46% Trump and 48% Hillary in the popular vote. That leaves a fairly large number of voters in other stages of life voting for Donald Trump.

Also, before you folks start celebrating the deaths of our older generation too soon, please keep in mind that our grandparents and great grandparents are living longer and longer lives. I wouldn't start celebrating just yet. And honestly, I find it rather repugnant that people actually seem to be awaiting the demise of our elderly voters.

Fact Sheet: Aging in the United States

PS. Actually, I believe the percentage of the older generations effect on the vote may be a bit lower than I had said in this post, because while the site I have cited is using 65 and up for it's percentages, the information shared in the OP is covering the older generation as 73 to 90.
All good points, but I would add that black voters showed up in record numbers to vote for Obama...draw your own conclusions about why they did and why they failed to show up when Obama was no longer the candidate.

Does that lack of participation by a slam-dunk Democratic voting block hurt down-ballot Democrats?

Absolutely it does.

Will the black record participation rate return in 2018 and 2020?

Seems highly unlikely.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Here’s the way the 2016 National Exit Polls calculated the vote by age:

Under age 45 (Gen Xers, Millennials and a few Post-Millennials): Clinton +14% (Clinton 53% Trump 39%)
Age 45 and older (Boomers, Silents and a few Greatest Gen): Trump +8% (Trump 52% Clinton 44%)

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls

Keep in mind that young voters are the ones most likely to be no-shows on election day while older voters are the most likely to never miss.

It has been that way for decades and I don't see any reason to believe the pattern will change.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
We'll just see about that voting pattern in this midterm, won't we?

Old 03-02-2018, 04:13 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,389,880 times
No. We're witnessing peak~liberalism as the influence of soviet subversion that occurred throughout the 20th century is fading because such subversion ended with the fall of the USSR in the 1990's. Marxism isn't so "cool" anymore like it was to the mush brains like young Obama back then.

The soviets greatest efforts during the past century was to infiltrate our education, media, and governance; they did quite well while they could, but that is all over now since the fall of communism.

Sounds crazy, right? Well, check out the following links...

https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/de...uments/venona/

"VENONA

The U.S. Army's Signal Intelligence Service, the precursor to the National Security Agency, began a secret program in February 1943 later codenamed VENONA.
The mission of this small program was to examine and exploit Soviet diplomatic communications but after the program began, the message traffic included espionage efforts as well.

Although it took almost two years before American cryptologists were able to break the KGB encryption, the information gained through these transactions provided U.S. leadership insight into Soviet intentions and treasonous activities of government employees until the program was canceled in 1980.

The VENONA files are most famous for exposing Julius (code named LIBERAL) and Ethel Rosenberg and help give indisputable evidence of their involvement with the Soviet spy ring.
The first of six public releases of translated VENONA messages was made in July 1995 and included 49 messages about the Soviets' efforts to gain information on the U.S. atomic bomb research and the Manhattan Project. Over the course of five more releases, all of the approximately 3,000 VENONA translations were made public."

Here is a great essay describing the above in great detail...

The Reality of Red Subversion, by Stephen J. Sniegoski - The Unz Review

The Reality of Red Subversion
The Recent Confirmation of Soviet Espionage in America
Stephen J. Sniegoski

" Today our entire Corporate Media is shrilly proclaiming—on the basis of absolutely no public evidence—that Christian Russia is on the verge of subverting and seizing control of the American government via the election of Donald Trump. It is therefore highly ironic that in the past all of these same media organs had viciously attacked and ridiculed those who presented the strong evidence that Communist Russia actually did come close to subverting and seizing control of the American government during the 1930s and 1940s, never fully acknowledging their grievous error. The massive documentation behind this undeniable historical fact has been provided across numerous scholarly books, but much of it is helpfully summarized in this monograph by Dr. Stephen Sniegoski, which is therefore worth republishing. —Ed.

"During the 1990s, the release of the Venona documents (see p. 49) by the U.S. government and the partial opening of the Soviet archives forced establishment minds to a reconsideration. Yes, Virginia, there really were Communist spies in the United States during the so-called “McCarthy era.” In fact, it now appears that even the slandered and smeared “red-baiters” of the period were unaware of just how far Soviet Communist subversion had penetrated. It must be added that even during the period of the so-called “witch hunt” there was more than enough evidence to prove the reality of Soviet Communist spying to any objective person. But, of course, if one is going to pass for an “educated,” “respectable” person, objective thinking must be eschewed—it’s simply not a Darwinian survival trait in modern America.

From Lenin onward Soviet Communist leaders have preached the necessity of underground activities, with foreign governments the key target for infiltration. The evidence for this from many countries is overwhelming. Communists in government engaged in espionage and acted to influence policy in a pro-Soviet direction. Many of the individuals engaged in these activities were Communist Party members; others were fellow travelers, who despite their lack of party discipline, sought to advance the interests of Soviet Communism." (cont)

All that CRAP led us to witness the election of a pro~Marxist Obama, and his desires to "fundamentally transform America". We got though 8 years of his weaponizing the IRS, FBI, and DOJ...but his efforts fell short as We the People have awoken to this BS, and now president Trump is the answer to such un~American folly.

I find it ultimately ironic that all the poisoned prog~bots are now blaming Russia for today's political strife while ignoring how right they actually are.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Slow down greywar!

The only political group that is growing is "unaffiliated".

As for those young people that are staying liberal, they'll become conservatives when they start paying income taxes.

The fact that they are delaying their entry into the full-time workforce and putting off marriage doesn't change that fact.

It's easy to be a liberal when someone else is paying for it.
That's interesting, because I pay income tax, and haven't gotten a tax refund in years, yet I'm still liberal. How do you explain that?

Old 03-02-2018, 04:26 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's interesting, because I pay income tax, and haven't gotten a tax refund in years, yet I'm still liberal. How do you explain that?
Yeh, liberals remain liberal. Not everyone is selfishly only concerned about money for themselves. Many people vote for what is best for the country. If Dems could get better about cracking down on illegals, it would be a slam dunk for them.

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-02-2018 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Really? My family is made up of professionals and a few business owners who have families themselves, and I only have one conservative of all of them, and he's an old school Republican at that (the style before PTL and the Moral Majority took over the party)
I didn't say everyone became full on conservative as they get older, did I? No. I saipopulatioget more conservative as they realize what real responsibility is. Doesn't mean the entire population will end up on the far right, just that they'll be more conservative at 50 than they were at 20. Usually, anyway.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It's because conservative increasingly means more government in your classroom, your bedroom, your doctor's office and you civil wedding. It's no longer about small govt. Rather, it's the bastardation of Christ's words to promote war, bigotry, and profiteering of misery.
No conservative doesn't mean that. You're confusing the big government republicans with the big government democrats. You remember the ones who all voted to increase spending? Make no mistake about it, the republicans are no where near being conservative as a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies