U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where do you fall on the political spectrum?
Republican- Far Right Traditionalist 22 16.92%
Democrat- Center Right 5 3.85%
Moderate 39 30.00%
Democratic Socialist- Moderate Left leaning 39 30.00%
Communist- Far Left 3 2.31%
Libertarian- Far Right but supports a limited State 12 9.23%
Anarcho Capitalist 6 4.62%
Anarchist 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2018, 02:24 PM
 
11,531 posts, read 3,159,810 times
Reputation: 3928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"Fed up" wasn't an option...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2018, 02:27 PM
 
Location: SGV
24,678 posts, read 9,600,861 times
Reputation: 9692
There's statist and non-statist.

All the window dressing under statism is just political garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,329 posts, read 7,475,738 times
Reputation: 15912
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
It is generally accepted by the mainstream definition of right wing that libertarians are part of that wing. They may support more civil liberties but they fall under the right wing umbrella.
The principal (and consistent) tenet of libertarianism is the pursuit of individual liberty -- economic, expressionary and personal. But an open economy is pure poison to those deluded by socialism and determined to fund their schemes with the stolen fruits of other peoples' efforts; hence, everyone who recognizes this is "right-wing" in the twisted "logic" of the authoritarian Left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 02:56 PM
 
2,707 posts, read 5,357,656 times
Reputation: 5550
I've always liked the self-assessment quiz at Political Compass. Instead of evaluating you on a left/right horizontal line, it plots you on a 4-quadrant grid. The horizontal axis (economic scale) runs between pure communism on the far left and pure capitalism on the far right. The vertical axis (social scale) runs between pure authoritarianism at the top and pure libertarian at the bottom. Most U.S. politicians -- of both of our main primary parties -- fall into Quadrant 1: Authoritarian/Capitalism. But WHERE they fall in that grid varies. Still, the variation is not nearly as great as most people assume.

The previous pope fell into Quadrant 2: Authoritarian/Communism. That kind of makes sense, right?
And certain fellows like the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, and Ghandi fall into Quadrant 3: Communism/Libertarian. That also makes sense. (That's where I always fall. I fall fairly close to where the axes cross, but I'm definitely in Quadrant 3. I'm usually about 3 squares down and 4 squares in, in Q3.)

Here's a picture that shows the results of the contenders from the 2016 PRIMARIES race. (I chose this one so you could see where Bernie Sanders falls.)
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04&oe=5B4410C8

And here's the 2008 PRIMARIES race:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...cb&oe=5B02FE23

One of the things that's interesting to me about these two grids is that in 2008, Hillary Clinton was MORE liberal. She was LESS liberal in 2016, actually, based on her stated positions on the topics. (In fact, the Q1 positions as a whole were more conservative in 2016 than in 2008.) But I'm sure it would be as impossible to convince folks of that as it would be to convince them that the majority of politicians from both parties fall into Q1.

Here's the link to the website, if you are interested. https://www.politicalcompass.org/

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-02-2018 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 03:46 PM
 
16,268 posts, read 9,091,445 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I've always liked the self-assessment quiz at Political Compass. Instead of evaluating you on a left/right horizontal line, it plots you on a 4-quadrant grid. The horizontal axis (economic scale) runs between pure communism on the far left and pure capitalism on the far right. The vertical axis (social scale) runs between pure authoritarianism at the top and pure libertarian at the bottom. Most U.S. politicians -- of both of our main primary parties -- fall into Quadrant 1: Authoritarian/Capitalism. But WHERE they fall in that grid varies. Still, the variation is not nearly as great as most people assume.

The previous pope fell into Quadrant 2: Authoritarian/Communism. That kind of makes sense, right?
And certain fellows like the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, and Ghandi fall into Quadrant 3: Communism/Libertarian. That also makes sense. (That's where I always fall. I fall fairly close to where the axes cross, but I'm definitely in Quadrant 3. I'm usually about 3 squares down and 4 squares in, in Q3.)

Here's a picture that shows the results of the contenders from the 2016 PRIMARIES race. (I chose this one so you could see where Bernie Sanders falls.)


And here's the 2008 PRIMARIES race:


One of the things that's interesting to me about these two grids is that in 2008, Hillary Clinton was MORE liberal. She was LESS liberal in 2016, actually, based on her stated positions on the topics. (In fact, the Q1 positions as a whole were more conservative in 2016 than in 2008.) But I'm sure it would be as impossible to convince folks of that as it would be to convince them that the majority of politicians from both parties fall into Q1.

Here's the link to the website, if you are interested. https://www.politicalcompass.org/
interesting. In the "poll" that starts this thread, my only choice is "far right republican"


taking the assessment you posted here,
On the Left/Right axis I am 0.25 to the right.... almost on the center line.
on the Authoritarian/Libertarian axis I am -0.41... again almost on the centerline.


yet to the OP, I am an extremist. which is utter and complete nonsense.


Thanks for posting this .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,253 posts, read 1,718,496 times
Reputation: 3080
I don't know anymore.

Probably makes me a moderate/centrist.

I bought into the libertarian/TEA party philosophy when I was in my early 20's. The religious right really ruined that for me, then bought into Bernie Sander's campaign. But some of the green party/socialists/alt-left ruined that for me too.

As a union member I find it really difficult to support most republicans as they seem to try to cut down labor rights at every turn. Just recently the a bill in the Texas legislature was being pushed through to require parental consent for a 16 year old to join a union. Because that's really what's hurting Texas right now, 16-17 year olds joining labor unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,316 posts, read 7,885,800 times
Reputation: 53366
Where is the independent, centrist category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,710 posts, read 9,813,066 times
Reputation: 9744
Sigh - - -
Another poll that omits the 'republican form' (nonpartisan, free wing).
[No connection with the Republican party, or democracy, for that matter.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM
 
9,461 posts, read 2,310,648 times
Reputation: 4674
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Democrats are center right they are a hair away from Republicans on most policy points except for a few social issues that is the only difference. The US does not have a real left wing party.
That is true.

But most Americans are so ignorant of politics and economics they are like children, and would probably just claim what you say is 'bull', because they don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,331 posts, read 1,795,443 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

But most Americans are so ignorant of politics and economics they are like children, and would probably just claim what you say is 'bull', because they don't know any better.
Very true all you need for evidence is this thread and the sheer panic at the thought that the USA has two right wing parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top