Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,447,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
OK, but if I said something like "religious people are more prone to believing in fantasies and have problems with science" in the same way, not only would my company treat me the same, but every right-winger in the world would be on my case about it. No doubt this forum would be full of threads condemning such a statement as "an example of the evil left-wing atheist agenda" or some crap.

While I agree that corporations have gotten a bit too sensitive all around - and you can't have ANY fun anymore in big business - the right-wing bias in this thread is glaringly absurd.
In both cases, a more measured response is desired. Like having your boss, or the other person's boss (from the example I quoted) pull you aside and tell you to not act like a jerk. Then, if you kept up the behavior, it could be dealt with at annual review time under the category of office commradery, or something like that.

Also, I have never heard it suggested that anyone should be fired for making the anti-religious comments that you suggested, and I do not believe you have either. The firing of the Google guy is not actually comparable to the hypothetical sceario that you described for yourself, and is in fact an excellent example of extreme far-left "Political correctness" run amok.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 03-02-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:21 PM

38,603 posts, read 26,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
IKR The way they carried on, you'd think they were righties being told America needs tougher gun restrictions!!

The Constitution has an amendment provision if you feel the Second Amendment needs to be addressed.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,974,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And this is the direction society is headed....
No it isn't, don't be so dramatic.

It's just the lefts version of nazis.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:09 AM

27,539 posts, read 15,950,865 times
I didn’t realize acknowledging differences between the sexes was fascism/nazi. Lefty, you own these freaks but I don’t blame you for trying to distance

Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 AM

21,394 posts, read 10,439,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
No they are not.

You can be arrested for fear or provocation of violence or intentional harassment, alarm or distress which is very different to being arrested for exercising your right to free speech. You are also free to insult, as long as your behviour does involve actual threats against a person, such as threats to kill, and you do not harrass or cause alarm, distress and fear in others.

The UK is a signatory of the European Convention on Human Rights, and the ECHR was enshrined in to UK Law under the Human Rights Act 1998.

Section 10 afford the right to freedom of expression and information, and can only be overriden when the rights of others must also be taken in to consideration in relation to Article 8 the Right to Privacy and Family Life and Article 17 which relates to the Abuse of Rights. The ECHR will not protect your right to Hate Speech as it interfers with the Human Rights of others to be left in peace and privacy as mentioned in Article 8 and is an abuse of the rights of others as mentioned in Article 17.

See Belkacem v Belgium (2017) ECHR 253 posted in the link below.

The UK is one of 47 European Countries that are members of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), and musr adhere to the European Court of Human Rights. The ECHR is a totally seperate organisation to the European Union and Brexit does not affect Britain's membership.

European Court of Human Rights finds hate speech not protected by freedom of expression - Human Rights Law Centre

Hate speech - European Court of Human Rights - Council of Europe
That’s not free speech. Hint: if people can get in trouble if it causes someone else distress, then it’s not free speech. In America, and from videos I’ve seen, also in England, people are always offended by something. They are calling speech violence, which is ridiculous.

Who determines what speech is offensive?

Last edited by katygirl68; 03-03-2018 at 01:43 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 02:01 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,533,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That’s not free speech. Hint: if people can get in trouble if it causes someone else distress, then it’s not free speech. In America, and from videos I’ve seen, also in England, people are always offended by something. They are calling speech violence, which is ridiculous.

I strongly suspect the level of distress involved goes a good bit beyond merely being offended.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

That is exactly right.

Great Britain withstood the bombs of Adolph Hitler during WWII under the leadership of Winston Churchill. But in this generation they have no leader that will to stand up to the fascism of "Political correctness," and its assault on their freedom, including freedom of speech.

Sorry, Brave New World, but your people have lost their way on this one, whether you guys realize it or not.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I strongly suspect the level of distress involved goes a good bit beyond merely being offended.
What does that mean exactly? And what difference does it make?

Are you personally willing to submit your rights to concerns of your political adversaries when they become "distressed" about something you say or do, to the point of having all of your remarks effectively screened and censored?

Old 03-03-2018, 08:00 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Universities in the UK are going to be fined if they try to stifle free speech, and the same should happen in the US.

These childish people will not even debate issues or listen to someones pint of view without their safe space being invaded or trying to stop someone from speaking altogether by no platforming.

They need to learn that people have differing views and that's just part of life.

There are biological differences, and no gener is not constantly changing and fluid as many liberals claim, although at least I have the decency to listen to their nonsense before making that conclusion.

People who continually deny free speech should be banned from speaking events or better still just kicked out of University altogether.

Universities could face fines over free speech curbs - BBC News

Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans - The Telegraph
Fines for violating free speech rights, what an excellent idea from our friends across the pond. It should be implemented here too.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What does that mean exactly? And what difference does it make?

Are you personally willing to submit your rights to concerns of your political adversaries when they become "distressed" about something you say or do, to the point of having all of your remarks effectively screened and censored?
I’m gonna guess that most liberals think they can censor only conservatives speech. Most have not thought of how in the future thier speech could also be censored. How can any Americans be so willing to give up hard won freedoms, despots around the world rejoice when they have citizens like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies