U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM

30,404 posts, read 20,055,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If they aren't scared, they are certainly deeply concerned if they feel the need to carry a hogleg every time they leave the house.

Either that, or they have some romantic notion about being James Bond or John Wayne or Wyatt Earp and being the hero in case something happens. All the result of the NRA and the GOP selling fear for the last three decades..
CCW permits are up and the murder rate is down.

Any questions?

https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/

https://mises.org/wire/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:55 PM

18,072 posts, read 10,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
How are the two related? Are you telling me that thousands of murders are being stopped by CWP holders? Not hardly.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:46 PM

20,409 posts, read 9,940,444 times
The *story* BentBow posted is an old joke. I don't know why people are getting so upset with the details.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 PM

14,712 posts, read 3,911,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Mildred Ross 89, pulled over by DPS on I-35 doing 84 in a 75.
The trooper asked for her license and insurance.

Puzzled the trooper asked are there any other weapons I should be aware of? I got a S&W .38 in my waist belt.

The trooper stood back in bewilderment... asking Mrs. Ross, what are you scared of?
Mildred replied, Not a damn thing.

Have a nice day Mrs. Ross and slow down.
Funny story - but she IS scared of a lot of things and that's why she is carrying all those firearms. We are fooling ourselves to think "fight or flight" is not a fear response. It is. So whether she fights or whether she leaves, she is scared.

This reminds me of a WWII American and Brit propaganda poster. At the B-17 bases in UK there was a poster which was a cartoon that said "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wulf?" - meaning, of course, the German Focke-Wulf fighter plane.

The B-17 Pilots taped a red note under it saying "WE ARE". And those guys had 100's of .50 cal machine guns to fight off the Wulf.

Believe me, Grandma was scared of many things.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 3,557,570 times
Having lived in SW Florida for 10 years, I would be afraid of Mildred and her CAR, let alone her CCW and guns.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 PM

8,347 posts, read 1,902,299 times
She's lucky the cop didn't murder...er, "shoot" her.

Just ask Philando Castile.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 PM

66,329 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure you don't need to in Kansas, and I-35 DOES go through Kansas. And you can drive 75 on rural interstates in Kansas.

My question to the OP is, why do you feel a need to be dominant & smug about all of this? You are posting things and then calling "TRIGGERED!" every time you are met with what are, frankly, measured and logical arguments.

Your story is just a story, not a news account, so, really, it never happened. It isn't fact, it's just joke, and one that isn't terribly funny in my opinion (but that's just my opinion). Regurgitating soundbites from talking heads and conspiracy blogs (triggered, snowflake, and my favorite, virtue signalling) doesn't prove points, it just looks like you're so manipulated that you can't think for yourself. I find that sad.

In terms of what I'm afraid of--I'm afraid of the OP. Not him specifically, but the general idea of him. Spouting off conspiracy fallacies and so obviously manipulated by the likes of FOX news, the NRA, Alex Jones, these people are ripe for pushing over the edge. Reading these internet screeds is chilling. That's truly what's scary to me. And bears. I'm petrified of bears.

What exactly is being justified here?
The reason you may be scared of someone, that can protect themselves from you?
I certainly hope you are scared... That is the point.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 AM

911 posts, read 155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
The trooper stood back in bewilderment... asking Mrs. Ross, what are you scared of?
Mildred replied, Not a damn thing.

Have a nice day Mrs. Ross and slow down.
Hehe good for her.... I am glsd the trooper didnt get mean with her!! (She is looking out for herself)

Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 AM

1,196 posts, read 460,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What exactly is being justified here?
The reason you may be scared of someone, that can protect themselves from you?
I certainly hope you are scared... That is the point.
I'm not justifying anything. And why on earth would you have to protect yourself from me? People like you scare me because you see the world as hostile and comin' to get ya. I do not. But because you think you have to protect yourself from me, you are actually a threat to everyone. That is the point.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:06 AM

911 posts, read 155,339 times
Its good to be aware of things and keep your privacy and all AS MUCH AS YOU CAN... Yes they are out to spy on people AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies