U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:44 PM

3,625 posts, read 1,565,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
21.4 births per 100,000 in Houston

81 percent of children in Houston Independent School District are so poor that the federal government has to intervene and give them free and reduced lunch.

Los Angeles homeless issue is nothing compared to the third-world baby factory that the city of Houston is.

Easier to house 50,000 or so homeless people in LA. Than Houston with by far the largest per-capita rate of poor children of any top 10 city in America.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/chs/vstat/vs13/t09.aspx

Students at 169 schools to eat for free during 2014-2015 school year | News Blog

They pretty much have a third-world birth rate in Houston. Seems like it a perfect city for welfare though as Texas has excellent benefits for poor families as long as they have children. The rents and single-family homes are extremely cheap.

Lots of condos for $50,000 or less. Monthly hotels around $800/month. Lots of single-family homes for less than $100,000. This means that families who can't afford anywhere else are moving to Houston.

Houston has 30 percent higher birth rate than Mormons in Utah. Over Double the rate of New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine

Utah has about 16 births per 100,000

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...rs-and-babies/

Very rich New Hampshire, Vermont have less than 10 births per 100,000. Maine has less than 10 births per 100,000 people based on population

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr66/nvsr66_01.pdf
Either you are talking about homicide or crime rates or you went to a school in Sans Intelligence, TX.

Houston resident here. even their website says 75% disadvantaged our of 200,000 students.

Last edited by shanv3; 03-02-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:44 PM

11,819 posts, read 3,224,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Houston is a beautiful city, unlike other cities the poor areas of Houston arenít put in a little corner and ignored (Chicago) or they arenít all out in the center of the city and ignored (Saint Louis). Here in Houston you meet people from all walks of life more easily and their good and bad areas in every direction, it has its benefits and drawbacks but to call it third world, clearly you have never been. Even Alief, Spring, Pasadena and other large mostly lower middle class areas look like the rest of America and have most people speaking English. The worst part of Houston, Sunnyside has a few thousand people and is only a few miles from Suburban paradise the rest of the city is a patchwork of good and bad neighborhoods.
I agree with all of your post, except what I bolded (your continued incorrect reference to Spring that I have pointed out on other threads....here lumping Spring in with Alief and Pasadena)

As I have mentioned before, Spring is an address designation used by the U.S. Postal Service. It covers all or part of 8 different zip codes, over 300,000 people, parts of 5 different school districts (Conroe, Klein, Spring, Tomball, and Magnolia), and two counties (Montgomery and Harris) and includes most of The Woodlands.

Here are the facts.... the figures from the U.S. Census Bureau's 2016 American Community Survey....for Katy Addresses (where you live), the 8 zip codes affixed to Spring addresses (including where I live in The Woodlands), the City of Pasadena, and the two populated zip codes associated with Alief......so people can judge for themselves:

Katy Address Zip Codes /// Average Household Income /// Median Household Income - (Including where you/your parents live)

77494 $ 154,175 $ 137,231
77493 $ 100,739 $ 82,630

Spring Address Zip Codes/// Average Household Income/// Median Household Income - (Including where I live)

77382 $ 173,322 $ 136,957
77389 $ 144,387 $ 115,783
77381 $ 142,232 $ 102,548
77379 $ 129,015 $ 100,997
77386 $ 118,278 $ 93,474
77380 $ 112,808 $ 68,597
77388 $ 100,843 $ 84,164
77373 $ 79,173 $ 67,078

City of Pasadena - Average Household Income - $ 64,525 /// Median Household Income - $ 48,607

Alief Zip Codes /// Average Household Income /// Median Household Income

77072 $ 48,240 $ 39,103
77099 $ 46,483 $ 36,355

Part of Spring ISD is lower middle class, but those parts of Spring ISD have Houston addresses and zip codes...and all of them are south of Cypress Creek, and most are south of FM 1960...extending almost all the way down to Beltway 8.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 AM

37,017 posts, read 16,417,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Iím not naive. I said you know itís not going to happen, and these days people claim itís racist. And you know itís true. There are the employers who want the cheap labor, and I have little hope that e-verify will ever happen in todayís climate. But I donít really care that much about this issue. As far as Iím concerned, if theyíve been here for at least five years and havenít committed a crime, let Ďem stay but not vote. But secure the borders now. Itís bad for national security to not have a clue who is even in this country.
Why should anyone who has managed to evade the law for years be rewarded for it and not have to face justice? How were they able to work if not by using a fake or stolen SS number or worked for cash evading taxes? Those are crimes! How are Americans to get those jobs back if illegals who have been here for five years or so not deported?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:55 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,507,286 times
er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they value large families in their culture then they need to support them themselves. As I said, the big cities in Texas are flooded with illegal aliens and their broods.
And you know this how? I live in Houston. I'm fascinated at all the trolls who talk about the illegal aliens getting rich popping out 5 kids driving Cadillacs so they can live off the welfare dole in Houston when they've never even been here. Here's some real facts for you. The federal poverty line for a family of three is $1702/month. You know what $1702/month buys? Here in Houston, a three bedroom apartment by itself runs around $1000/month. Then you have to pay for food, transportation, gas, insurance, clothing, and everything else.

Since 1996, TANF benefits have fallen an average of 20% in most states, including Texas. So stop. Just stop already. Poor families are not getting rich, especially not welfare families. In fact, most families who are impoverished STILL earn too much money to afford welfare benefits. Their incomes have to be way BELOW the poverty line.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/family...in-most-states

Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
There's enough hypocricy to wheel a C5A through! The Right opposes abortion, are too cheap to supply birth control and won't pay for sterilization. Human nature hasn't changed in the last 100,000 years! Pay up!

As I said, there is no hypocricy in objecting to abortion and for the taxpayer to have to foot the bill for irresponsible adults who won't use birth control even though it's readily available even for the poor.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:04 AM

31,116 posts, read 13,636,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What makes you think that Texas has "excellent benefits for poor families?"

What you are seeing is the outcome of limiting women's health choices coupled with a culture that values large families.

Lots of people predicted that Texas would end up paying for more births when they stopped funding Planned Parenthood.

Et voila!
You're right, and the entire state of Texas is ranked at or near the bottom of all states for quality of healthcare. They didn't expand medicaid so they have a huge uninsured population and their medicaid benefits are very stingy. They have very little oversight of insurers or hospitals.
Texas is the worst state for health insurance in the country - Business Insider

Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I would rather see my money go towards feeding a hungry American than a stupid wall. Agree?

Except that the wall will stop more hungry foreigners from getting in here illegally, duh. Seems you want to feed the poor no matter who they are or their status in our country. No thanks, I'll pass! I don't have a problem helping our own "truly needy" Americans but acting responsibly in the first place is a criteria.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:08 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,796,972 times
Houston was wrecked by a hurricane, or are we forgetting that now or pretending that people should have rebuilt the place in 6 months? Ah, well - never miss a chance to take shots as the urban poor - that's a keystone of right-wing politics. And never a post about the endless impoverished blood-red counties in blood-red states. We're to pretend that poverty is strictly a "liberal" issue and "all those welfare bums in the cities, like Houston, should just get a job and move someplace else."

Of course, for the rural poor, we're instead to praise them as "put upon Americans who lost their jobs," and then change the laws to fund "clean, beautiful coal" to support them at the taxpayers expense.

I'm all in favor of getting poor people - of any political leaning or color - education and jobs since that benefits everyone, but I'm very tired of the endless lie that "poverty is a liberal problem" and that "only cities have poor people." It's such a transparent, partisan falsehood.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:13 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,796,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m not naive. I said you know it’s not going to happen, and these days people claim it’s racist. And you know it’s true. There are the employers who want the cheap labor, and I have little hope that e-verify will ever happen in today’s climate. But I don’t really care that much about this issue. As far as I’m concerned, if they’ve been here for at least five years and haven’t committed a crime, let ‘em stay but not vote. But secure the borders now. It’s bad for national security to not have a clue who is even in this country.
That's why "The Wall" is such a scam. It's not that those of us who are opposed to it like illegal immigrants - we don't - but we fully understand that they don't just wander across a completely unsecured border, walk into a company parking lot, and accidentally get hired by some "poor, put-upon, patriotic American business who just doesn't know it's hiring illegals."

That's utter bull. If you want the problem of illegal labor - and all under the table labor like it - to stop, you have to crack down on the businesses who hire them. Every job I've ever worked, including my first poverty-wage retail job, required me to present piles of ID, and that was over 20 years ago. Companies know full well who they are hiring when they hire people who aren't citizens or who aren't supported to be here.

That is why "The Wall" is ultimately pointless. Businesses control the system and will get their cheap labor one way or another. Until THAT is addressed, things like "The Wall" are about as useful as putting a military-grade padlock on a screen door.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM

31,116 posts, read 13,636,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
er

And you know this how? I live in Houston. I'm fascinated at all the trolls who talk about the illegal aliens getting rich popping out 5 kids driving Cadillacs so they can live off the welfare dole in Houston when they've never even been here. Here's some real facts for you. The federal poverty line for a family of three is $1702/month. You know what $1702/month buys? Here in Houston, a three bedroom apartment by itself runs around $1000/month. Then you have to pay for food, transportation, gas, insurance, clothing, and everything else.

Since 1996, TANF benefits have fallen an average of 20% in most states, including Texas. So stop. Just stop already. Poor families are not getting rich, especially not welfare families. In fact, most families who are impoverished STILL earn too much money to afford welfare benefits. Their incomes have to be way BELOW the poverty line.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/family...in-most-states
Good post, and I will add a few things you didn't mention. The TANF grant for a family of three in Texas is $286 a month, that is the only 'cash benefit' available to a poor family. And Houston has the third lowest number of affordable housing for the poor in the entire US with only 18 affordable housing units per 100 families

Reproduced pursuant to fair use doctrine Source: https://texashousers.net/2017/03/04/...lity-for-poor/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or