U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 06:54 PM

12,079 posts, read 6,893,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I got the same impression.
it takes a brave person to step out of politically safe news sources. a different point of view is worth reading for an analytical person.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-03-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 PM

21,401 posts, read 14,293,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thanks! Very interesting!

I'm very pleased, as a liberal, to see that I don't read any of the liberal sources designated as having misleading, inaccurate, or fabricated information. I've never quoted or linked to any of them.

However, I'm very perturbed to see that so many of the conservative sources listed as misleading, inaccurate, or fabricated are quoted so widely here.

This reminds me that I should start checking out The intercept.
And that falls in line with the "thinking" of the conservatives on this forum, and why they remain so misinformed. The chart is spot-on.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I am pretty burnt out on MSM/news. Everything is so polarized. I'm sick of all the emo whining on both sides. I think a 3rd party candidate could stomp both parties at this point just because people are tired of the other 2 acting like children and the media fanning the flames.

I prefer the Dragnet approach. "just the facts maam".
You're not alone, and I agree a strong Third Party candidate could be a force in American politics, but it would take a billionaire with the backing of his billionaire supporters to buy the airtime necessary to compete. It truly is a rich man's game.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:09 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,813,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
it takes a brave person to step out of politically safe news sources. a different point of view is worth reading for an analytical person.
I agree with this, so I do briefly peruse weekly standard, national review, and breitbart at least once a month, although I admit I can rarely click through on any of their stories because the headlines all sound like such complete garbage.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I agree with this, so I do briefly peruse weekly standard, national review, and breitbart at least once a month, although I admit I can rarely click through on any of their stories because the headlines all sound like such complete garbage.
National Review and Weekly Standard are both good journalism. While they may have their bias they are still trying to report factually and neither seem to have intent to mislead the reader. Unfortunately many conservatives won't read either because they dont fan the flames of hysteria.

The best source for news I have seen is from a London based publication called The Economist. The stories are so in depth that it takes a lot of concentration on the readers part because it is written for the well informed reader. A stellar publication that has U.S. news but also in depth reporting on world news. Great to read about U.S. politics from someone who has no dog in the fight.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 PM

20,606 posts, read 8,777,525 times
Honestly, the news is sensationalized these days. So you have to take it with a grain of salt. We don't have honest reporters anymore like the Murrow boys.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:19 AM

13,501 posts, read 8,497,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Was the view even on the chart? I don't consider that news and I don't watch it, OR Fox.
No.
The View is where many people get their interpretation of the news. But while The Five is counted as news on Fox, The View is counted as entertainment on ABC. So ABC gets the nod as 'fair and unbiased' while Fox does not. Note your own attitude about anything that might be on Fox at any time. You never consider that there might be a Fox program that is fair. To you, it's all tainted.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:38 AM

4,263 posts, read 836,806 times
mediabiasfactcheck.com/center says "These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources."

On the page for each news source, they do have a poll asking people to rate the political leaning of that sourc: Least Biased, Right-Center, Extreme Left, Left, Left-Center, Right, or Extreme Right. For example, of 6393 voted (at time I was making this post) about Politifact, only 133 voted as being a form of Right-leaning. Compare that to 3605 votes saying the new source was form of Left-leaning and 2656 said it was "Least Biased".

This is just me, but I think a news source could be best deemed "least-biased" that option is the most-voted of the 7 above polling options. This includes more votes than all other 6 combined.

To clarify, the bias categories for each news source are Left Bias, Left-Center Bias, Least Biased, Right-Center Bias, Right Bias, Pro-Science, Conspiracy-Pseudoscience, Questionable Sources, or Satire. The site also now has a Filtered Search, which you can "use the drop downs below to filter sources based on Bias and Factual Reporting rating. Note: References refers to how popular a website is based on how many websites link to it." Currently, the news source that has the "Least Biased" category and has Very High for reporting (this includes being factual and being sourced) is Reuters.

To add on to my post of "This is just me, but I think a news source could be best deemed 'least-biased'" post, I will include those that have the fewest criticisms/controversies on their Wikipedia entry. I add this because, while Wikipedia can have false/exaggerated/biases content, it helps gives a basic understanding of a news source's reputation. Depending on the news source, the less criticism/controversy you find about that source on a site like Wikipedia, the more accurate or reliable a new source might be.

Last edited by Eumaois; 03-04-2018 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 AM

31,390 posts, read 19,800,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No.
The View is where many people get their interpretation of the news. But while The Five is counted as news on Fox, The View is counted as entertainment on ABC. So ABC gets the nod as 'fair and unbiased' while Fox does not. Note your own attitude about anything that might be on Fox at any time. You never consider that there might be a Fox program that is fair. To you, it's all tainted.
OMG. YOU bring up a show that's not even on the list to make, what you think, is a point.

I can't listen to these yelling talking heads, Fox's OR anyone else's, or anyone who is always on one side, either side.... any side. I used to watch Fox news, and stopped long before the whole Trump presidency.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-04-2018, 02:30 PM

18,064 posts, read 10,096,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
National Review and Weekly Standard are both good journalism. While they may have their bias they are still trying to report factually and neither seem to have intent to mislead the reader. Unfortunately many conservatives won't read either because they dont fan the flames of hysteria.

The best source for news I have seen is from a London based publication called The Economist. The stories are so in depth that it takes a lot of concentration on the readers part because it is written for the well informed reader. A stellar publication that has U.S. news but also in depth reporting on world news. Great to read about U.S. politics from someone who has no dog in the fight.
I agree with you on "The Economist". The "National Review", however, I see as a shadow of what it was when Buckley was alive. He was an indivdual who considered all viewpoints carefully, and when he made a rebuttal, it had substance. You can love Buckley or hate him, but you have to respect him regardless of where you come from.

This is the link to the Buckley/Chomsky interview in 1969, and is a blueprint for discussion of deep differences. It's one of the most memorable and impressive interviews I have ever seen. It runs just over 51 minutes, but you can jump in anywhere for three or four minutes and get a feel for the entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaR-T_hqRSM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies