Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are trade wars good and easy to win?
Yes 9 13.85%
No 56 86.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 06:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Of course not!

That's pure psycho talk. But consider the source. I doubt that even an imbecile like tRump believes his own words.

But the threat of one will keep the media buzzing and distract them from Russiagate.

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 06:53 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What makes you think it's limited to economics?
I'm staying on topic here

Old 03-03-2018, 06:54 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Successful = Several bankruptcies
Can you tell us what type bankruptcies? There are 3, can you tell us what each one does and which one he used?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:30 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Trump actually let out that little nugget of “wisdom” today. I’ve never heard of anyone advocating for trade wars before. Is that some sort of real voodoo economics thing? Generally trade is a win win proposition, especially for such an ardently capitalist country as America. Trump seems to think the opposite and that we can easily win one to boot.

The concept of a win-win deal to Trump seems completely lost on him. As if you can only ever have one winner in something. For a guy that can’t even get his own wife to sleep with him, I doubt he’ll be winning a lot of trade wars.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1GE1PM
I am not a Trump guy, at least I did not vote for him. His personal behavior makes me uncomfortable and I am periodically embarrassed by it. However, on the policy front, his efforts and accomplishments so far have been better than any president I have seen in my lifetime - including Reagan. Also, as much as his enemies like to call him "dumb," he has been outsmarting them - in mass and on worldwide television - a lot more than they have been outsmarting him. So I guess I am conflicted. However, in terms of the substance of his agenda - forgetting his personality for the time being - he appears to be the right person at the right time for our country.

This move by Trump is very interesting and I appreciate you starting a thread on it in this way. I have read almost nothing on this yet, so my comments are my just sense of what is going on here.

Trump ran on "Fair trade," which I hope we can all agree is a good idea. All my life I agreed with the Republican "Free Trade" mantra, because the alternative appeared to be "Isolationism," which is in fact "dumb". Trump's "Fair trade" is the third way.

Actually, to be fair, what Trump describes as "Fair trade" is what people like me just assumed that the conservative economic geniuses meant when they talked about "Free trade". That is, we thought that multi-lateral trade agreements were a way to evenhandedly lower the trade burden around the world to make everyone's markets more accessible in a way that did not take advantage of anyone. Also, we thought that our national leaders would be minding the store, making sure we were getting the best trade arrangements possible, and that they would be constantly watching and taking steps to make sure would not be taken advantage of.

In fact, the Chinese and other countries have been abusing these globalist arrangements to take advantage of our nation and our markets. It is time for an adjustment to this pattern of behavior and it is my sense that this move is the beginning of those adjustments.

The tarriffs imposed by Trump are intended to disrupt the globalist status quo, to grab the focused attention of the countries engaging in this unfair behavior, and force them to establish the precedent that they will bilaterally engage with us to correct their behavior in a way that is economically beneficial for both them and us.

I do not believe that Trump is trying to "win" a trade war in the sense that he thinks he can unilaterally impose sanctions or tarriffs and not have other countries respond in kind. He is trying to "win" a revision in our trade relationships so that they are conducted in a spirit of fairness, without one side or the other drastically abusing their domestic power to unfairly disadvantage the other, which has been happening.

If that is in fact what Trump is doing, that seems like a very "fair" and reasonable expectation. My question is, why haven't our national leaders - our presidents of both parties - been doing this all along? Why if these establishment types are supposed to be so good at what they do, do we have to have to elect a disruptor like Trump to come in and clean up these people mess in order to get this stuff done?

It does need to be done. Yes, it disrupts the globalist status quo, which upsets the establishment globalist elite, which is in fact not as bad a thing as they are trying to make it out to be. Also, if there is a better way to get these objectives accomplished, I am not seeing it.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 03-03-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 07:37 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
We had high tariffs for the first 180 years of our country’s existence, and we did just fine.

Our founding fathers viewed tariffs as a tax on foreigners wanting to sell into our economy. They also viewed it as a voluntary tax paid when American citizens chose not to buy American made products.

Since we lowered the tariffs in the 1960’s, we’ve seen an accelerating erosion of industry as more and more jobs get offshored to third world countries where the labor cost is extremely cheap.

In a world without tariffs, jobs will continue to offshore until American wages and Chinese wages are equal. Chinese make $2 a day for a 12 hour day. A world without tariffs is a race to the bottom.

Tariffs are so bad why do countless nations, including China, Japan and South Korea, charge an average 8% import duty? They seem to do well behind their protectionism.
Protectionism only works EVERY TIME it is tried.

It is the duty of the government in accordance with the Constitution to look out for this country, not look out for globalists and profiteers.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Are trade wars good and easy to win?
There are no winners in trade wars, only casualties.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:45 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are no winners in trade wars, only casualties.
Other countries have been at war with us via Trade for the last 30 years and the casualties have been the American worker.

Time to start fighting back.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:46 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Very easy. Very easy. I am an excellent driver.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
The trade war is a result of a Trump temper tantrum, not by any rational thought process.

Trump is in a foul mood because of all his negative press, and he's just lashing out at anything at the moment. Yes, this maniac is leading our country.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/thoma...-trump-tantrum
Some of the Cabinet have been pushing for tariffs for some time so timing of the announcement might have been in response to having such a bad week on other fronts...

Washington Post has new article that Carl Ichan dumped steel stocks last week before Trump's announcement
Not the first time Trump's former advisor but still a "friend with benefits" has made lot of money because of insider knowledge about Trump's actions
The first time was supposed to be under investigation but haven't read lot about it
And now this...

At least we don't have to worry about the Fed raising rates to cool off a "hot" economy...

Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Other countries have been at war with us via Trade for the last 30 years and the casualties have been the American worker.

Time to start fighting back.
Yeah they have been selling us cheaper goods than can be produced here. How terrible
Trump is going to change all that with his war on consumers and workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies