Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Could say that about 85% or more of these new "tech" businesses; but that's it isn't it? Founders and early investors make out like bandits after IPO, cash out, then leave everyone else holding the bag.

I mean just what exactly does Facebook do that makes Mr. Zuckerberg and that sister/family of his worth billions? As Ms. Betty White famously quipped "... it's a colossal waste of time".

Ok, can see Amazon.com and the purpose of some others, but all this money being made out of nothing such as Snapchat or whatever is just proving that old line about a sucker being born.....

Its all advertising money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've found that those who have their own cars tend to make out a little better than that. Its those who are using Uber financing to secure a vehicle who are really struggling.
Even with your own car it's not worth doing. People don't really take into account their vehicles wear and tear.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
If people wised up, they would realize they could do this and make majority of the money for themselves WITHOUT Uber. A cell phone, reliable car and good word of mouth advertising, in the right area, like around a major airport or metro area, they could just cut UBER out of the equation and call themselves 'Daves rides'.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Its all advertising money

Well yes, there is that; Google whatever its beginnings makes nearly all there money (and quite a lot of it) on advertising revenue.

Facebook and other technical companies including Google also make vast sums peddling snippets of information from users. It is complied into various aggregates, demographics and whatever to be sold for marketing, advertising and other purposes.

People who think Mark Zuckerberg started FB to Mee Maw can share pictures of her grand children don't have a clue. Every "like me" click is money in the bank.

Sad thing is few if anyone bothers reading privacy agreements and or terms of use notices posted on websites and or when signing up. If they did it would become clear just that is being given up in "sharing" your summer vacation pictures with 50 of your best friends, of which 45 couldn't give a rat's behind.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If people wised up, they would realize they could do this and make majority of the money for themselves WITHOUT Uber. A cell phone, reliable car and good word of mouth advertising, in the right area, like around a major airport or metro area, they could just cut UBER out of the equation and call themselves 'Daves rides'.

But then you'd have to set up a merchant account or find some way of accepting payment for fares. People today especially the young crowd don't carry much cash, and are just used to swiping and or clicking as payment.

You would also have to develop an app or whatever that basically does what Uber and rest do; if going down that route of using phones and or radio then might as well just become a livery driver and be done with things.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:00 AM

Sad thing is just as Amazon and the rest have and or are decimating brick and mortar retail; Uber and the like are killing taxi and livery services.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/n...taxi-uber.html

Even if Uber and their ilk went away tomorrow so much damage has already been done.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:03 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Honest question: how is Uber different than delivering pizzas?

As a college student, I delivered pizzas and it gave me a lot of disposable income that I used for a lot of fun stuff. Would you be better off in 2018 delivering for Pizza Hut than driving Uber?

Old 03-03-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Even with your own car it's not worth doing. People don't really take into account their vehicles wear and tear.

Oh I don't know... *LOL*

A $1,600 Uber ride? Drunk man blacks out, takes trip from W.Va. to N.J. | NJ.com

Uber is also launching a new product: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...health/554552/

Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Its the best gig that many can get.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:09 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sad thing is just as Amazon and the rest have and or are decimating brick and mortar retail; Uber and the like are killing taxi and livery services.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/n...taxi-uber.html

Even if Uber and their ilk went away tomorrow so much damage has already been done.
Coming form NYC, I've seen this firsthand. I feel bad for the livery services, but not so bad for the yellow taxi services that were notorious for discriminating against black would be passengers. For many like me, services like Uber and Lyft were godsends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies