U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 05:24 AM

4,276 posts, read 1,579,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
We should make steel and aluminum in our country.
We already do.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:35 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,292,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Lower prices benefit we the people
Tell that to the approx. 100K people who built their homes with toxic drywall imported from China.
Something everyone in this thread seems to be forgetting is QUALITY. Do those lower prices get you a better quality product? Do the same things that used to be produced in the U.S.A. but now 100% imported last as long? I cannot in good conscious just go into a store and buy the "cheapest" and be assured that the darn thing even works anymore. You get what you pay for (and no, that doesn't mean the most expensive either), so I'm also in the higher tariff to the makers of this cheap crap camp. Go ahead and put some of those China-bomb tires on your vehichle, because of the "lower" price..... I won't... my life my not be worth a thousand a tire, but it's sure worth more than the cheap "Great Value" brand made in China.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:42 AM

11,673 posts, read 3,996,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Tell that to the approx. 100K people who built their homes with toxic drywall imported from China.
Something everyone in this thread seems to be forgetting is QUALITY. Do those lower prices get you a better quality product? Do the same things that used to be produced in the U.S.A. but now 100% imported last as long? I cannot in good conscious just go into a store and buy the "cheapest" and be assured that the darn thing even works anymore. You get what you pay for (and no, that doesn't mean the most expensive either), so I'm also in the higher tariff to the makers of this cheap crap camp. Go ahead and put some of those China-bomb tires on your vehichle, because of the "lower" price..... I won't... my life my not be worth a thousand a tire, but it's sure worth more than the cheap "Great Value" brand made in China.
It's European and Canadian goods that you are going to have less of if Trump actually impliments his rhetoric. Those crappy German sportscars will have massive tariffs put on them, as well as a host of other European luxury items, and trade and relations with Canada will also suffer. The Chinese are not importing that much steel and aluminium in to the US - see the diagram in my last post Number 130.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:58 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,642,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Simply put, I donít buy the technology argument. I think we lost most of those jobs due to greed.

As Iíve said in other threads, the Germans have managed to have a very strong steel manufacturing sector since the late 40ís. Theyíve NEVER allowed dumping of cheap steel imports into Germany. They protect their jobs despite super high employee costs that make ours look like a joke. Theyíve got 80 something million people crammed into a nation the size of Oregon, so theyíre quite comparable to us, and yet, they manage to have a thriving manufacturing sector because German firms believe in a social responsibility to their countrymenís well being. Americans only care about the bottom line.

This is a great piece on the German model. Here is a small excerpt:

https://amp.theguardian.com/global/2...trial-strategy
I don't know as much about this topic as I should, and I admit that I have mixed feelings about it. I do think that we have entered into trade agreements that left us holding the short end of the stick, but I think a good bit of the damage may already have been done. I don't know with certainty that the expression "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube" applies here, but it might.

People speak fondly of the economy of the post-WWII years, and with good reason. We didn't import or export a lot of stuff then. Factories that had been supplying equipment for the war effort were converted to factories that produced consumer goods, and with so many people setting up house for the first time, the demand for those goods was enormous. Our economy was pretty self-contained, and we didn't really need the rest of the world very much, in terms of money. Unions were also strong, and that is a huge factor.

I would love to see the US bring these jobs back home, but a trade war isn't the only thing that needs to happen here. We would have to do other things, too: stop treating unions as the enemy, raise the minimum wage, and strengthen the social safety net, because the higher prices that would result from a trade war WOULD hurt many people, some quite severely, if they are currently just barely getting by.

I won't say that the tariffs have no place in a strategy to build a more prosperous nation, but they'd better not be the only tool in the box.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's European and Canadian goods that you are going to have less of if Trump actually impliments his rhetoric. Those crappy German sportscars will have massive tariffs put on them, as well as a host of other European luxury items, and trade and relations with Canada will also suffer. The Chinese are not importing that much steel and aluminium in to the US - see the diagram in my last post Number 130.
I read your post... but it only makes my comment more relevant. On a recent job for Trans-Canada 30% of the steel pipe was produced in the U.S., 23% in Canada (by a foreign owned company), and the rest was imported from India. Eighty-Eight percent of the imported steel pipe was substandard! Once again, I'm all for a good and balanced trade policy with Canada so that hopefully both countries can benefit by bringing back manufacturing to North America where things are done right. Perhaps then Canada won't suffer. Let's hear from the Canadian workers if they want jobs back (if there are any still up there) or if the only one that is benefiting is the Canadian government as the trade policies now stand.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 AM

7,916 posts, read 2,297,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
We already do.
we make less than a tenth the steel China does.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
, raise the minimum wage, and strengthen the social safety net, because the higher prices that would result from a trade war WOULD hurt many people, some quite severely, if they are currently just barely getting by.
Shouldn't raising the minimum wage mean less safety net? People were complaining that because they got the "raise" in many areas of the country, that they were now losing their benefits because they made too much money, so they were cutting their hours back to part-time. Maybe that mindset needs to change as well. You want higher minimum you're going to get higher prices and lose your benefits. This needs to be explained to people before they jump on the bandwagon.....

Old 03-04-2018, 06:22 AM

23,193 posts, read 12,321,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I read your post... but it only makes my comment more relevant. On a recent job for Trans-Canada 30% of the steel pipe was produced in the U.S., 23% in Canada (by a foreign owned company), and the rest was imported from India. Eighty-Eight percent of the imported steel pipe was substandard! Once again, I'm all for a good and balanced trade policy with Canada so that hopefully both countries can benefit by bringing back manufacturing to North America where things are done right. Perhaps then Canada won't suffer. Let's hear from the Canadian workers if they want jobs back (if there are any still up there) or if the only one that is benefiting is the Canadian government as the trade policies now stand.
In January of 2018, Canada's unemployment rate was the lowest it had been in 40 years.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 AM

5,620 posts, read 3,670,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Trump has tweeted that he might impose stiff tariffs on European cars Imported into the US.
Only further cementing how much of an idtiot he is.

The US is the #3 vehicle exporter.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,361,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Great. A thread filled with people cheering on a trade war because they are completely clueless as to how the global economy works and how much Americans benefit from it.

I look forward to the next thread about how great lead is in paint and also to eat.
Exactly.

Or, a thread on how we should force foreign automakers to open massive production & headquarters facilities in the U.S. that create tens of thousands of good paying jobs here since we consume many of their products.

Oh, wait..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or