Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 07:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Trump is the most centrist President of my lifetime. As a lifelong NYC Democrat, he supports many policies the left has been championing for decades. Tax cuts for the middle class,
Not with borrowed money. REDUCED TAX REVENUES, tax cuts doled out with borrowed money and ballooning deficit and debt are pathways to financial crisis and calamity . Sadly, the wheels are already in motion via the irresponsible tax "reform" just passed. Recession and worse - here we come - I predict middle of 2019, possibly sooner.

Quote:
rebuilding our infrastructure,
With paltry, insignificant govt cost-sharing. It's ineffectual, unaffordable by the states, and a nonstarter. In other words - USELESS.

Quote:
renegotiating the trade deals that have hurt our working class & unions, etc.
That ship has sailed. The economy is finally righting itself and adapting to a global economy. Now is NOT the time to rock that boat.

Quote:
If the left could see through their perpetual rage, they'd realize he's doing some liberal things that neither Clinton nor Obama ever delivered on.
Obama and Clinton had brains, could understand complex issues, and were responsible. Trump is a mental lightweight know-nothing - completely irresponsible in word and deed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Please stop posting FACTS like that! You're going to burst the bubbles of the Trumpkins! They think if we just do what Trump says he's gonna bring back the jerbs and it'll be 1950 again.
I was eight years old in a family just scraping by in 1950. Please - let's not go back to that.

More winning:

Electrolux halts Tennessee project after tariff announcement - ABC News

Old 03-04-2018, 07:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Three quotes from that article ... you've got the:

GOP - "But Trump's GOP allies on Capitol Hill had little use for the tariff approach."

KOCH BROTHERS - "It hurts the administration politically because trade wars, protectionism, they lead to higher prices for individual Americans," Phillips said. "It's basically a tax increase."

And then TRUMP - "The president wasn't backing down, at least on Twitter, where he posted this message: "Trade wars are good, and easy to win."

This says it all. Again, it's what Trump CAN do and tweet about (anything more complicated is beyond him).
This move is a big risk for Trump, but it also comes with a big reward if he is successful.

In fact, his presidency likely turns on how this plays out now. If it turns into a big fiasco, like you and many others seem to believe that it will, then the only way he wins in 2020 is if the Democrats nominate someone that is basically unpalatable to the American people - like Hillary was in 2016.

However, if Trump delivers on his boast that "Trade wars are good, and easy to win," by actually turning this into what middle America sees as a "Win," then he will almost certainly be re-elected in 2020.

Mark it down.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:35 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This move is a big risk for Trump, but it also comes with a big reward if he is successful.

In fact, his presidency likely turns on how this plays out now. If it turns into a big fiasco, like you and many others seem to believe that it will, then the only way he wins in 2020 is if the Democrats nominate someone that is basically unpalatable to the American people - like Hillary was in 2016.

However, if Trump delivers on his boast that "Trade wars are good, and easy to win," by actually turning this into what middle America sees as a "Win," then he will almost certainly be re-elected in 2020.

Mark it down.
What is realistically likely to happen before the election in 2-1/2 years that middle America will see as a win?

I think this trade war might lead to the U.S. leaving WTO. Now that would be chaos. The WTO rules cover more than tariffs - they streamline commerce.

Another possibility is that other countries expand their own definition of what goods come under the national security umbrella. I think I could make an argument that food does, for example.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:37 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
He ain't winning - because it is NOT easy. The fact he would be so stupid as to voice that idiocy reveals his lack of dimension and incompetence. The man is a moron.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
All of the jobs are not coming back, but we do need to maintain a steel and aluminum industry for national security reasons. Same with food, telecoms, etc. Right now these other countries have jacked up their tarriffs and their anti-competitive regulations and requirements in such a way that they are very competitive in our markets, but we cannot compete in theirs. Also, again, we MUST maintain a domestic steel and aluminum manufacturing industry, regardless of the cost.

As far as the threats to retaliate and the whining in your second paragraph about how terrible it is that we have "upset" our trading partners, this sounds a lot like the drivel that you were semi-defending about people not being legally allowed to speak if it "offended" someone.

What a crock. These countries' high tarriffs on our products, their full-on subsidization of many of their most "competitive" industries, and their imposition of rules and regulations that make their markets either extremely difficult or effectively impossible to penetrate has BEEN OFFENSIVE TO US. But again, that only is supposed to work one-way by the sort of logic that wants to use this kind of argument, doesn't it? And these country's conduct actually has been truly "Offensive" towards us in the literal meaning of the word. Meanwhile, you are actually suggesting that they might be "Upset" by what are actually our "Defensive" response to their "Offensive" actions against us.

It is time to lose the double standards, in our rhetoric, in our domestic politics, and in our international relations, including trade. The time is now. When we reach that threshold, that will be the time for everyone to settle in and not be "Upset" anymore. Until then, you and your buddies will just have to suck it up and deal with it. You all started this, so you have nobody to shift the blame to but yourselves.
There is no national security risk with the steel -- it was the only way Trump could implement a tariff on his own.
Who has high tariffs on our country?

Who -- which countries?

Are they the ones going to be impacted by the tariff" Do some research before you rant and rage and spout your feelings.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:53 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What is realistically likely to happen before the election in 2-1/2 years that middle America will see as a win?

I think this trade war might lead to the U.S. leaving WTO. Now that would be chaos. The WTO rules cover more than tariffs - they streamline commerce.

Another possibility is that other countries expand their own definition of what goods come under the national security umbrella. I think I could make an argument that food does, for example.
There is probably no point waiting to see what actually happens in real life, since you and the hacks in the mass media have already pronounced their consensus opinion about this, as these "experts" are ALWAYS right. Once a consensus about what the future holds is pronounced by the "Politically correct" Democrat left, there is no point in following the matter, or even asking how it turned out.

If they have not thought of it, it cannot happen. Reality is actually caused by their words. If they say it, that makes it so.

{sarcasm}

Old 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Don't confuse these people with facts. They are not accustomed to it and it becomes painful.

Baby steps.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:12 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Successful in WHAT? Cannot folks see that the jobs by and large have been lost to China? Why in the world are we going after Canada? Sure both start with "C" but it's the wrong country.

It sounds like the provision that gives Trump his power here defaults to a global basis. Please ... is there no common sense? Why would this ever be successful - particularly when certain US industries come under pressure from certain countries at different price points - not ALL. Trump wants to take us back to the 19th century?

That there *are* trade imbalances is the very reason to focus on THEM, not this.

He can't even turn his campaign jargon into a functional response.

Quote:
However, if Trump delivers on his boast that "Trade wars are good, and easy to win," by actually turning this into what middle America sees as a "Win," then he will almost certainly be re-elected in 2020. Mark it down.
I'm less concerned about the 2020 election than I am with the state of my 401K. Not a fan of market timing ... but this is beyond the market into meltdown territory.

And then, yes, early on Trump did drop the withdraw-from-the-WTO bomb. Someone shut him up real fast but these days he's moving beyond reason.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB

So let me get this straight.... The US's major public aerospace company is in the midst of filling several thousand orders for its next generation aircraft...

The US is in dire need of great infrastructure spending.....

The US is currently on its way to becoming a top oil and gas PRODUCER and EXPORTER ...

Hey, it's a great time to enact tariffs on steel and aluminum!!!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:21 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
There is probably no point waiting to see what actually happens in real life, since you and the hacks in the mass media have already pronounced their consensus opinion about this, as these "experts" are ALWAYS right. Once a consensus about what the future holds is pronounced by the "Politically correct" Democrat left, there is no point in following the matter, or even asking how it turned out.

If they have not thought of it, it cannot happen. Reality is actually caused by their words. If they say it, that makes it so.

{sarcasm}
The question I asked was genuine curiosity. The ideas/speculation I expressed about the next 2 1/2 years were my own thoughts. I have not seen or read them discussed anywhere. If you have, I’d appreciate a link. I’m interested.

By the way, I live in Canada. No Democrats here. My vote is up for grabs by all three of the main parties here in the general election next year. Way too early to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies