U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:55 PM

12,403 posts, read 3,900,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Again, Canada will be hurt the worst, and I believe our trading is pretty well balanced with them.
We don't need to tariff nations we don't have an unlevel trade playing field or large trade deficits. But many other countries are tariffing American exports and telling American don't dare tax or tariff their exports to America.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:56 PM

31,729 posts, read 20,009,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I love Canada, but my sympathies lie with Americans only.
Great, so why are you for something that hurts us?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-03-2018, 04:58 PM

5,925 posts, read 2,837,862 times
Quote:
If the Chinese and Europeans want a trade war, let’s do it. I think we stand a good chance of winning it or at least getting a better bargain for our workers and our industries.
In Trumps trade war America will be fighting Europe, China, Canada, Japan and other countries. How can America beat all those countries in a war involving trade, manufacturing and international negotiations?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/u...-aluminum.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...est-1519978434

In this war China will retaliate by putting tariffs on US farmers $14 billion dollars in soybean sales.
https://www.agri-pulse.com/articles/...er-new-tariffs

The Europeans will retaliate by putting tariffs on American motor cycles, bourbon and bluejeans. ex.ex.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/b...ffs-trump.html

And Trumps tariff announcement caused the worlds stock markets to fall, and now investors and businesses around the world will avoid America in business and investment deals.
Here's why Trump's tariffs spooked markets around the world - Mar. 2, 2018

And Trumps tariffs will raise prices for US consumers on things from automobiles to beer.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...d-candy-prices

Personally I believe tariffs could greatly help America. But these tariffs should be well thought to avoid global stock market declines, avoid investment and business fears for America, avoid raising prices for US consumers and avoid a trade WAR against the entire world.

If you want to buy a expensive property in New York, build a golf course or start a reality TV show Donald Trump is the man to talk to about it. But perhaps in a worldwide trade war involving stock markets, soybeans and motorcycles (Trump might be the last person we need leading the fight.)

Last edited by chad3; 03-03-2018 at 05:10 PM..

1,345 posts, read 471,972 times
Quote:
Trading partners? Like who? More like trading leeches. Arent you sick of the United States lowing these Trade wars?

Theres no free trade where were concerned. Were getting jerked. The Europeans would never allow their nations to be bytchslapped like this in the name of free trade.
Your opinion. Which flies against much of reality. All the products made here in Mexico get made with decent quality, and at lower cost, which helps Americans that purchase them in general. Same with trade with China (although the way the play with their currency value is not quite straight up).

Trade between European countries is a different beast, due to their structure like the EU.

Would you also like individual states in the U.S. to start intra-state tarriffs and such? I know the left loves abusing the commerce clause to their own ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Great, so why are you for something that hurts us?
Why is the rest of the world for something that hurts America with all their tariffs and barriers to Americana exports? The rest of the world treats the American domestic market as theirs and their own domestic market as theirs too. The world acts like America is the dumping ground for their products and people.

Last edited by mtl1; 03-03-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 05:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,917,638 times
Default Im with Trump...why are so many Americans afraid of a trade war?

Quote:
Especially the Congressional Republicans. Who are they trying to protect?

As Americans, we can take a hit, but with our market being the best destination for the world’s products, we can hit just as hard or harder. Why are we so afraid to make others cry uncle for once? Our workers and industries have been crying uncle for decades with no relief in sight...til now.

If many Americans take a big blow in a trade war, then we should simply step up to the plate and help take care of those that are adversely affected. That’s what strong nations are supposed to do.

I mean, so many Americans have no problems with actual physical wars where people are getting killed and we never win anything in the end, but we’re gonna punk out and tremble at the mere thought of a trade war? Please.

If the Chinese and Europeans want a trade war, let’s do it. I think we stand a good chance of winning it or at least getting a better bargain for our workers and our industries.
And I am with you Detroiter.

But to answer your question, why are so many Americans afraid?

Because of decades of corporate lies and propaganda. Years of lies from people who sold out their own country and who only care about enriching themselves and not their fellow Americans.

Years of lies how free trade will create jobs for Americans. And when it became increasingly obvious those lies were not true, the playbook was changed and we were told that those jobs we were loosing were outdated anyway and would never come back. Funny how countries like Japan, Germany, Korea and now China don't think those jobs are outdated and will never come back.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Your opinion. Which flies against much of reality. All the products made here in Mexico get made with decent quality, and at lower cost, which helps Americans that purchase them in general. Same with trade with China (although the way the play with their currency value is not quite straight up).
We US consumers don't see any lower cost. A Mexican bottle of coke is $1, and way more than domestic coke. Mexico produce and food items are as much or often more than US sourced items. Whether it's a toilet, TV or appliance, or car we pay the same price or higher for a Mexican made version than the US made equivalent. Then we pay a second time for lost jobs, tax base and industry. Some can claim whatever they want but Americans absorb massive losses to NAFTA.

Quote:
Would you also like individual states in the U.S. to start intra-state tarriffs and such? I know the left loves abusing the commerce clause to their own ends.
I don't like how the commerce clause is interpreted in whatever way it suits progressives. US states do offer different tax deals and breaks to lure industry from one US state to another though.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And I am with you Detroiter.

But to answer your question, why are so many Americans afraid?

Because of decades of corporate lies and propaganda. Years of lies from people who sold out their own country and who only care about enriching themselves and not their fellow Americans.

Years of lies how free trade will create jobs for Americans. And when it became increasingly obvious those lies were not true, the playbook was changed and we were told that those jobs we were loosing were outdated anyway and would never come back. Funny how countries like Japan, Germany, Korea and now China don't think those jobs are outdated and will never come back.
Exactly. It's just like the same propaganda and lies we're told about mass immigration and diversity doing us so much good. Those in power lie and brainwash to support polices that enrich the elites at the expense of the rest of Americans.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:21 PM

1,345 posts, read 471,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
We US consumers don't see any lower cost. A Mexican bottle of coke is $1, and way more than domestic coke. Mexico produce and food items are as much or often more than US sourced items. Whether it's a toilet, TV or appliance, or car we pay the same price or higher for a Mexican made version than the US made equivalent. Then we pay a second time for lost jobs, tax base and industry. Some can claim whatever they want but Americans absorb massive losses to NAFTA.
The cost of labor in Mexico is far lower than the U.S., and Mexico is close. Look at any major border town and you see huge amounts of manufacturing plants, making many products that Americans buy and use every day. If U.S. manufacturers could make it competitively in the U.S. they would.

I found a hybrid leather motorcycle jacket here recently for about $100. The closest equivalent I could find online, made in the U.S., was closer to $400. It also had a "proudly union made" label sewn in. I bought the less expensive one, as would most others.

I wish that manufacturing in the U.S. had not waned as it has in the last 3 decades, but forcing tariffs and other such methods is not going to help the average American.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:23 PM

8,571 posts, read 6,155,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Trump is out there on the left (alongside Bernie, et al..) on his trade protectionism. Trump wants to tinker with free trade. He is wrong with that thought.

"Protecting" relatively few jobs while creating tension between trading partners, raising prices, etc.... is the wrong thing to do. It does not have the intended effect far too often. How did those Carrier jobs in Indiana, vice Mexico work out?
Ridiculous.

Trump is out there on the side of average Americans, just as he promised he would be and we elected him to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or