Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 05:29 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,349,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frankly, I can’t wait until I have to pay more to protect American jobs. Great.

You folks have gotten too fat on cheap crap at Walmart.
I was actually referring to fuel and food since steel is used to drill for oil and used in equipment used for farming.

I was not referring to junk you buy at the store.

But hey, if you want to pay for gas and food then good for you. However not everyone can afford to do so.

This may also cost us jobs as it may no longer be economically wise to manufacture vehicles here. Do you think that the jobs possibly added will cover the jobs lost by manufacturing using steel and aluminum products leaving the country??

Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 AM

23,785 posts, read 14,911,610 times
A US senator was interviewed on Morning Joe. She said we get 3% of our steel from China. Most of it comes from Canada.

There was also concern regarding retaliation. Where will all the midwestern corn and soy bean go?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:55 AM

26,971 posts, read 13,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Plus ... the really low-end manufacturing already has migrated out of China into places like Bangladesh. It's always a moving target - but we're fighting the war of the decades past not that of the future.

It's what consumers seem to want, indeed Americans visiting London often make a beeline for shops where you can get a bargain such as Primark.

Primark having been involved in numerous rumours regarding how they source their clothing with allegations of forced labour in Bangladesh and China.

The problem with all of this is if prices do go up as a result of US Tariffs, then it's the US Consumer that will be hit in the pocket and America is a land built on consumerism and a country that loves shopping and indeed a bargain. Indeed much of the clothing, trainers and other accesories people wear in the west often originates from places such as Bangladesh and China.

Primark denies purchasing clothes made in forced labour camps or prisons | The Guardian

Workers held captive in Indian mills supplying Hugo Boss |The Guardian

Primark investigates claim of 'cry for help' note in trousers - BBC News

Be honest: you don't care if your pretty dress was made by child slaves - The Telegraph

Primark sales boosted by bargain-hunting tourists after pound's Brexit slide | The Guardian

Walmart, Nike Suppliers Put on Notice by China Tariff Threat - Bloomberg

It's also increasingly cheap technological and electrical goods that are made in China and India.

Life and death in Apple's forbidden city | Technology | The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-08-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,910,204 times
This is why Trump's argument about Canadian aluminium and steel as national security risk does not work. Specifically, Canada's metals have always been considered as belonging to the USA defense industry. To now claim that the metals are a security risk means that the USA has to exclude Canadian metals in their calculations, which significantly reduces the available metal supplies.

Furthermore, a national security risk cannot be eliminated by signing a NAFTA agreement on milk, lumber, and other NAFTA points.
"Yet even if the Trump administration can make an argument for its definition of national security in court or at the WTO, Daniel Ujczo, a trade lawyer at Dickinson Wright in Columbus, Ohio, believes it will lose any case that says Canada is part of the problem.

"We've already identified in our national security documents that Canada is part of the U.S. defence industry," he said.

"So we've identified that in our national security apparatus that our defence procurement markets rely on Canada. So when you're working to show the numbers on whether we have capability or not, you have to include Canada."

None of which addresses Trump's link between a possible tariff exception for Canada and Mexico with a successful NAFTA renegotiation, which the experts say also undermines any arguments about national security."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/is-c...-u-s-1.3833987

Old 03-08-2018, 09:25 AM

19,098 posts, read 16,918,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A US senator was interviewed on Morning Joe. She said we get 3% of our steel from China. Most of it comes from Canada.

There was also concern regarding retaliation. Where will all the midwestern corn and soy bean go?
Why does no one seem concerned about us when they makes moves to protect their industries?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:34 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,017,178 times
Our record on 'wars' of any kind is not so good in recent years. Having an imbecile start one is not a good idea.

Listening to a small U.S. company which uses steel in its products last night, says he will be out of business if the dotard raises the price of steel through tariffs.

How many other manufacturers will be destroyed but such short sighted policies?

Can you say 2% growth? Dotard says he can give us 4%, which is needed to pay the interest on the increased deficit which he has created.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,322,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
This is why Trump's argument about Canadian aluminium and steel as national security risk does not work. Specifically, Canada's metals have always been considered as belonging to the USA defense industry. To now claim that the metals are a security risk means that the USA has to exclude Canadian metals in their calculations, which significantly reduces the available metal supplies.
Ummm... I think you have it backwards. Trump is excluding Canada and Mexico from the import tariffs because it would supposedly pose a security risk to cut ourselves off from those metals.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,455,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ummm... I think you have it backwards. Trump is excluding Canada and Mexico from the import tariffs because it would supposedly pose a security risk to cut ourselves off from those metals.
He probably had several economic advisers threatening to walk if he didn't change his tone at least somewhat.

I don't know why I'd bother being an "adviser" to someone who governs on Twitter spewing whatever comes to mind.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 AM

42,757 posts, read 26,002,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
"In the battle brewing over steel, the U.S. military just weighed in and made clear its view that national security does not require protectionism."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/phillev.../#8055e934f1c1

Old 03-08-2018, 10:49 AM

13,675 posts, read 8,961,039 times
I had read an opinion article the other day in which the author asked the question: Why is Trump doing this?

The author's answer: Because he can.

In other words, President Trump, having a series of bad weeks, latched onto the tariffs because it is something he can do.

As to pushback from various groups, I began wondering what industrialist thought of the pending tariffs. I bethought of the Koch brothers, whom had been mightily pleased at the Tax Reform, which benefited them to no end. How are they reacting?

A short search uncovered this:

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/08/cha...e-war-tariffs/

Mr. Charles wrote an opinion article for the Washington Post. The excerpts note that Mr. Charles explained that the tariffs would help him, financially, in the short term, the proposed tariffs would impede our economy, and negate the lowering of Federal taxes for the middle class.

Ah! I found the WP piece by Mr. Charles:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.afe289efd3af

Hmmm. No wonder some Republicans are pushing back against the President. One, Republicans historically have been for free trade. Two, the Koch brothers heavily finance Republican candidates and causes.

Yet, when all is said and done, Mr. Trump will follow through, at least to a limited extent, because he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies