Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 05:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And I am with you Detroiter.

But to answer your question, why are so many Americans afraid?

Because of decades of corporate lies and propaganda. Years of lies from people who sold out their own country and who only care about enriching themselves and not their fellow Americans.

Years of lies how free trade will create jobs for Americans. And when it became increasingly obvious those lies were not true, the playbook was changed and we were told that those jobs we were loosing were outdated anyway and would never come back. Funny how countries like Japan, Germany, Korea and now China don't think those jobs are outdated and will never come back.
Absolutely!👍🏿👍🏿

Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Great. A thread filled with people cheering on a trade war because they are completely clueless as to how the global economy works and how much Americans benefit from it.

I look forward to the next thread about how great lead is in paint and also to eat.
If Trump says it's ok, believe me lead will be ok here.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
We've been in basically a one-sided trade war of foreign nations and the upper class against Americans for over 30 or 40 years now and we've just been putting up with it.
Yep, finally we have a President defending the interests of average Americans and people are aghast.

Young people have never seen it before as, economically, defending America pre-dates Reagan.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:43 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m intellectually honest...that’s why I can say that I’m with Trump on issues that I agree with him on. This isn’t the first time I’ve OPENLY said that I’m with Trump on an issue. I’ve done so many times. Of course you’re surprised because if Obama was for something, you were automatically against it. That’s why you expect everyone else to be as partisan as you are.

Anyway, nervous for what? Bet you weren’t nervous about physical wars!

BTW...Trump isn’t brilliant. Let’s not get carried away.

He would’ve been a lot more successful in business if he were brilliant. Stop it. SMH
I'm very surprised YOU have this stance. BUT, I have to realize those Younger have zero understanding of how "Trade Wars" start and ended in my past. It never worked out and often ended up with war footings! In fact, this is exactly what most educated (non-biased ones) have been trying to explain to whomever would listen!

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blog...ars-devastate-
snip~
Quote:
The results would be worse now. At the time of Smoot-Hawley, international trade equaled only a few percentage points of GDP; in 2014, according to the World Bank, U.S. imports and exports together equal 30 per cent of U.S. GDP. Canada would be harder hit. Canadian imports and exports equal 60 per cent of GDP, about the world average.

A trade war would devastate jobs as exports nose-dive. Prices would soar as tariffs piled on import costs. The poor would be particularly hard hit on the necessities of life such as clothing.

With such clear lessons, the world did not seem condemned to repeat, at least until the current election cycle in the U.S. where the 1930s trade war began. An editorial in The Economist as recently as December 2008, the midst of the Great Recession, argued “All this [Smoot-Hawley] is history. There are plenty of reasons to think that the terrible lesson of the 1930s will not have to be learnt again.” Now Trump rages against trade and Clinton dithers.

Perhaps the second most famous quote on history is “plus ça change, plus c'est la meme.” The more things change, the more they remain the same. Hopefully common sense and lessons remembered will prevail, but we also could be on the edge of a repeat of the ruinous 1930s trade war.

3 of the biggest historical wars fought over trade - Trade Ready

WAR results~~ Neither side wins!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ars-2018-03-02
snippets~~
Quote:
The U.S. and the global economy
Trump’s “America First” orientation assumes that the United States, as the world’s dominant actor, can behave freely and independently in trade.

Unfortunately for the administration, America’s top economic position doesn’t shield it from the dire consequences that unilateral trade policy can provoke. The constraints on U.S. action result from the basic nature of the international economy and from America’s declining dominance of the world trade system.
Quote:
Dangers of ignoring history

The dangers of ignoring history are only beginning to manifest themselves, but they can be seen in several recent developments that bode ill for us all.

One of the Trump administration’s first actions was to withdraw the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. This agreement, which was a major initiative of the Obama administration, would have created the largest economic bloc in the world by linking America’s economy with those of 11 other Pacific nations. It would also have created an American-led, liberal bulwark in Asia against any Chinese challenge to the regional economic order.

Withdrawing from the agreement denied American exporters enhanced access to foreign markets and was a gift to Chinese influence in Asia. But we are only now beginning to see the longer-term repercussions of President Trump’s decision.

During Trump’s trip, the other 11 signatories of the original trade deal, including Japan, Australia, Canada and Mexico, agreed to move forward without the U.S. This is a problem for the U.S. because it means that these countries will grant preferential market access to one another, making it harder for American companies to compete in their markets.

American companies are already feeling the impact of what happens when they’re left out of a trade deal. A recent New York Times article, for example, highlights the plight of American lobster producers whose prices are being undercut by Canadian producers in the wake of a new Canada-European Union trade agreement.

If the United States is reluctant to participate in multilateral trade agreements, other countries have every incentive to do deals that exclude and even may hurt the U.S.
Only People who PAY is the Consumer.. Corporations go offshore.. and take advantage of alternate host nations! While trying to blame CHINA... The only Countries that will be offended are the top 4 ( NO CHINA isn't one of them) surrounding Steele (China Steele is considered JUNK/recyclable cr@p) and Aluminum ! US MUST bring quality Steele in and USA only produces 10% of Aluminum!

Pi$$ off Canada... What out!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 03-03-2018 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 05:51 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obama preached for 8 years that those jobs are gone and never coming back. But it does go back at least 30 years through all administrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-EWG6gYlhQ
Yes, it does.

Reagan's cronies put the dismantling and export of the American economic engine into high gear.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:01 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yep, finally we have a President defending the interests of average Americans and people are aghast.
More than likely, Trump will walk this back once his friends explain basic economics to him.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:05 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump did exactly what he promised he would do.

I said over & over & over that Trump would win because people were tired of jobs being outsourced. He beat 16 GOP opponents and Bill Clinton's wife over this one issue.

This is a major move by Trump. Something is finally going to be done about it after failures by career establishment politicians from both parties who completely sold out to the globalists.

And the only ones against it are those who are against everything that Trump does, no matter what, and the MSM which are owned by the very globalists the rest have sold out to.
Yes, prices of consumer goods are going to rise and a million American jobs are going to be eliminated because of the cost of materials in the goods they make.

That's something, all right.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:21 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Only for the side that has benefited at the expense of the other side.

The USA has everything to win, and China everything to lose if one does happen.
you have an odd concept of winning.
tell us how taxing americans is a benefit?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm very surprised YOU have this stance oaths. BUT,I have to realize those Younger have zero understanding of how "Trad Wars start and ended in my past. It never worked out and often ended up with war footings! In fact this is exactly what most educated (non-biased ones) have been tryingtoexplain to whomever would listen!

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blog...ars-devastate-
snip~

3 of the biggest historical wars fought over trade - Trade Ready

WAR was the result~~

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ars-2018-03-02
snippets~~
Fine. At least we’d FINALLY have a war that I’d believe in.

In any case, I’m with the President.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
If China or India or whomever wants to subsidize our auto and appliance and packing and aerospace industries, let 'em. Why the hell would we try to stop them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies