U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 PM

736 posts, read 253,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
This shift from a service based, global focused economy back to a manufacturing based, US focused economy is the reason for all the hate surrounding Trump. All the media hysteria, everything, it's all about these moves. The globalists/multinationals that actually run this planet will do anything to defend their profits and Trump is a massive threat to what they're doing.
A full out trade war will decimate multinational corporations.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 PM

22,917 posts, read 12,214,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm with you and applaud you for being able to credit Trump where it's due. The multinational corporations are spending a fortune lobbying both D & R politicians to fight Trump on these tariffs & the inevitable end of NAFTA.

With unemployment the lowest it's been since the 1960's and wages increasing at the fastest pace in nearly 10 years, Americans can afford to pay a bit more short term to buy American.

Look at the trade deficits since NAFTA passed, look at our manufacturing since NAFTA passed, look at our steel/aluminum industries since NAFTA. How anyone can ignore the evidence and pretend NAFTA is good for the American worker is mind boggling.

Trump is not launching a trade war. The trade war was launched decades ago and Trump is finally responding.

The Chinese Govt subsidizes steel production, which is not free trade nor organic. Then they overproduce steel which artificially drives down prices hurting the US steel industry. Then, to avoid paying the reciprocal taxes to export to the United States, they instead ship their steel to Canada & Mexico who then move it into the US tax free via NAFTA, or the Chinese build factories in Mexico & Canada, then move their products into the US tax free using NAFTA to back door us.

An example is Canada freaking out about the tariff on steel imports. The media is going bonkers about the poor Canadians, who supply 19% of our steel, having tariffs imposed on them. You know how much steel Canada produces? None. They import it from China, then ship the Chinese steel into the US at a mark-up. They have become the broker or middle-man for the Chinese and it's time it stopped.

Furthermore, these commodities are a matter of national security. If we're going to rebuild our infrastructure we need steel. If we're going to rebuild our military we need steel. If we're going to host companies moving back to the United States or expanding their existing businesses thanks to the corporate tax cuts, they will need steel and there's no reason it shouldn't be American steel.

Once these tariffs are imposed, once NAFTA's done, China will have no real use for Canada or Mexico anymore as their main value was as a back door to the US market. When that happens Canada & Mexico will be begging to renegotiate a new trade deal.
Someone gave you a bunch of baloney information. You need new sources. They aren't doing right by you.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 PM

50,168 posts, read 26,572,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Now I know you are a troll.

Canada produces 13 million tonnes of steel annually (of which 7 million tonnes are exported) at 19 facilities across 5 provinces.

http://www.canadiansteel.ca/wp-conte...stry_Stats.pdf

Value wise, Canada imports as much steel FROM the U.S. as it exports to the U.S.:

Iím willing to give Canada special dispensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
A full out trade war will decimate multinational corporations.
Oh well. Maybe thatís a good thing. Theyíve accumulated far too much power.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 PM

27,282 posts, read 17,547,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, that makes Trump, 3 unnamed attendees, and you in favor; and; the rest of his staff, advisers, and Congress against.

Wow, yeah I think you changed my mind!

Not.
Maybe 6. I'm on the fence to some extent. We need fair, equal trade practices. When other countries put up barriers to our companies trading our products there, but we don't, it's not fair. When our companies have to deal with expensive environmental regulations and labor costs, and other countries don't, it's not a level playing field. When outer countries subsidize their exporters, it's not level. And when corporate taxes are higher here than in other countries, it's not level.

Lets not forget that prior to 1913, a large portion of our government's revenue came from tariffs, instead of personal income tax.

My hope is that Trump's actions are a step of leveling the playing field for American workers and companies that produce in this country. I'm not sure that you do that with a fixed, 25% tariff, I suspect it will need to be adjusted to focus on countries that are the abusers of free trade practices.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-03-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 08:15 PM

5,877 posts, read 2,370,800 times
Quote:

Canada produces 13 million tonnes of steel annually (of which 7 million tonnes are exported) at 19 facilities across 5 provinces.

Value wise, Canada imports as much steel FROM the U.S. as it exports to the U.S.:

I have a DIL who actually works for "DOFASCO" headed office inHamilton Ontario ( known as"Steel City" since I was kid").. That China's steel was bought up cheap and NOT use to produce Canadian Steel BUT repurposed.. as it'd too Substandard and it was useless..BUT cheap The melted it down and used in other venues!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dofasco

Meanwhile Canada did take numerous steps towards CHINA's STEEL!!~~

Certain Hot-rolled Carbon Steel Plate 3 2017 Expiry Review - Expiry Review Decision

Quote:
The investigation has now been completed and today the CBSA has determined, pursuant to paragraph 76.03(7)(a) of SIMA, that the expiry of the order concerning the dumping of certain hot-rolled carbon steel plate originating in or exported from the People’s Republic of China is likely to result in the continuation or resumption of dumping of the subject goods to Canada.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle27516008/

Quote:
The federal government has fired another salvo in the battle to halt or reduce the amount of steel being dumped into Canada by foreign steel makers.

The Canada Border Services Agency has imposed preliminary duties of between 71 and 396 per cent on carbon and alloy steel line pipe imported from China. The steel is used in pipelines and other activities in the oil and gas industry.
China Steel EXPORTS has a Huge market outside of USA and Canada~~ Take a gander at the graphs!!!
https://www.trade.gov/steel/countrie...orts-china.pdf

Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 PM

3,878 posts, read 2,712,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m willing to give Canada special dispensation.
Bush II did when he levied tariffs on steel exports from the EU in 2002.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:25 PM

31,399 posts, read 19,826,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Iím willing to give Canada special dispensation.

Oh well. Maybe thatís a good thing. Theyíve accumulated far too much power.
Sigh. He did is saying he is doing by executive action (security issue) so it has to be across the board, you can't give dispensations.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-03-2018, 08:31 PM

26,333 posts, read 18,938,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yep, finally we have a President defending the interests of average Americans and people are aghast.

Young people have never seen it before as, economically, defending America pre-dates Reagan.
you're forgetting ross perot.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:41 PM

7,507 posts, read 3,512,370 times
Quote:

Troll? Little harsh. I stand corrected, Canada produces a small amount of steel. 13 tonnes annually of the 1.7 billion tonnes produced annually, world wide.

Here's some fun trivia for you. How many steel mills in Canada are Canadian owned? The answer is none.

"Despite Canadaís formidable reserves of iron ore, the steel industry in recent decades has shrunk significantly as industrial markets have become increasingly globalized. Today, every remaining steel mill in the country is owned by foreign investors and Canada is a net importer of the manufactured product."

Iron and Steel Industry - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 PM

7,507 posts, read 3,512,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Someone gave you a bunch of baloney information. You need new sources. They aren't doing right by you.
If you can't refute the points, why bother responding? I thought you were a liberal? Liberals have been calling for an end to unfair trade deals that hurt the American worker, the unions and our country for decades. Why the sudden change? Why throw your support behind the corporations instead of the workers and the unions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or