U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:07 AM
 
5,908 posts, read 2,003,567 times
Reputation: 5548

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm about halfway through the book now, and what hurts it more than anything else is the fact that it is a gay love story written by a straight man, although arguably with repressed desires. The movie is based on the book, but doesn't follow it faithfully from what I've heard. I didn't see your stat of 35,000 copies, but that is proabably past the break even point for the financials on a book release.

The movie was shot for $3.5 million. International and domestic box office are already over 30 million dollars, and with an Oscar win, that stands to quintuple, which in turn will drive book sales through the roof. I doubt I'll see the movie, but I'm certain a lot of people will, not all of them gay.

Both the book and the movie are niche market productions that obviously are attracting a lot of curiosity. If it's not your cup of tea, don't watch it. I love Westerns, my wife can't stand them. She doesn't go. She likes Chick Flicks and goes wiith her friends. Different strokes for different folks, no pun intended.

Fact is, though, the members of the Academy thought the movie was good enough to deserve an oscar. You can debate that fact all day and never resolve anything. Hollywood has been Hollywood since the days of Fatty Arbuckle, with a totally amoral outlook overall, and will likely never change. Don't let Kimmel fool you. Hollywood is nothing but Corporate America - all about the money. And the joke may be on him - Pence might like the movie. A lot. Might be right up his alley, so to speak.
Why would a straight guy read a gay love story...makes no sense. Does your wife know?

BTW James Ivory is super-gay. So that's the gay cred.

Anyway...Its unlikely this movie will get even to 50M. Kimmel knows the deal. There's just no money in it. No amount of virtue signalling endorsements can change the demographics and the interests of the movie-going public. The gay audience is small, but the straight audience is even smaller!

 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,348 posts, read 1,900,686 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I don't watch the Oscars anymore, but was just reading some of the coverage, and being amazed how their agenda is so overt these days. These Chaos Masters are not even really trying to conceal their subversive nature anymore.

The "this is a joke, but its not really a joke" moment came during Kimmel's monologue when he said, "We donít make films like Call Me by Your Name for the money. We make them to upset Mike Pence.Ē...
Funny how you don't mention the REAL threat from Hollyweird--that it's basically bought and paid for by the CIA and the Pentagon in order to glorify the War State.

Documents Expose How Hollywood Promotes War On Behalf Of The Pentagon, CIA, & NSA

Hollywood Films Funded By... The Pentagon

FOIA Docs Show CIA/Pentagon Made 1,800 Movies, TV Shows to Make America Love War
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:14 AM
 
5,908 posts, read 2,003,567 times
Reputation: 5548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Wait. Are we talking Stormy Daniels here? I'm confused. If you're trying to convince me that Kobe's not a good dude, I didn't really need convincing. I'm just trying to figure out how you think he's that different than Trump. Hell, I still blame Kobe for the trade that sent him from Charlotte to the Lakers.
Why would you think they are similar situations? Some whorish porn star that has sex for money made unsubstantiated allegations about CONSENSUAL SEX with Donald Trump that she couldn't prove, but that got her paid appearances by tabloids and gossip shows, and his lawyer paid her just to shut the hell up. Nuisance money. Rich people pay these kinds of things all the time. Just the cost of doing business. Is it true? Could you win in court? It doesn't matter! You gotta pay to make it go away!

How is that the same as some idiot basketball player actually RAPING some chick in the butt and then paying her millions of dollars to prevent the criminal trial from proceeding?
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,606,918 times
Reputation: 12851
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Why would a straight guy read a gay love story...makes no sense. Does your wife know?

Anyway...Its unlikely this movie will get even to 50M. Kimmel knows the deal. There's just no money in it. No amount of virtue signalling endorsements can change the demographics and the interests of the movie-going public. The gay audience is small, but the straight audience is even smaller!
Well, there's some rational thinking: it's only legit to read stories with characters just like you.

I guess I should have avoided the Harry Potter books, as I am a mere Muggle, The Color Purple, since I'm white, The Good Earth, since I am not a Chinese farmer, almost anything about men in general, because I am a woman, and Watership Down, as I am not a rabbit.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:16 AM
 
Location: England
24,645 posts, read 6,132,040 times
Reputation: 30345
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Really? Plenty of glamour still. Great movies, actors, etc. Even you weren't around 100 years ago. You're complaining about nothing. Get with the times. Life changes. Keep up.
I am a massive movie fan of many decades standing........ back to when I was a kid in the early 60s. Even then, the glamorous side of Hollywood was on the decline to an extent. I watched the rise of dozens of famous movie stars like Clint Eastwood. I well remember running down the street after seeing his performance in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, amazed by what I had seen, and heard of course, with the great music in that film.

I lived through a second movie Golden Age in the 70s. Lots of great movies, with fantastic stories, films like The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Close Encounters, Outlaw Josey Wales, A Clockwork Orange, Chinatown, and many more.

It continued through the eighties, with movies like Blade Runner, Raging Bull, The Natural, ET, Aliens, Raiders of the Lost Ark.......

So many great movie stars of those times like Paul Newman, Barbara Streisand, Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Jane Fonda, Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino, Robert de Niro, Goldie Hawn, and the craggy faced, but always watchable Walter Matthau.

It started to decline sometime in the nineties. There were a few interesting new stars like the great Tom Hanks. Tom Cruise continued his rise, with mainly popcorn films, quickly forgotten. Taking us to where we are now, with him remaining one of the biggest stars around.

Now, for me, we have few real stars. The films are in the main loud action movies, costing a fortune, then quickly forgotten. Batman vs Superman any one? So yes, Hollywood is dying, and is a twitching corpse. Oh, there is some great television being made. I loved Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad. This is where the real interesting stories are being told nowadays.

But the movies? Movie stars as we knew them? Nope, sorry, for me, it's dying. In 1980, you could run 20 names off of box office movie stars in seconds. Who can open a movie today, on name alone? For many decades starting with the coming of Charlie Chaplin, there were stars who folks would turn out just to see them. It continued for many decades into the Golden Age, and beyond. Not any more. Movies now are pushed as genre films for the kiddies. Like all these stupid super hero films. Lots of noise, special effects, and no real story at all. These are in the main, sad days for fans of real story telling. Most of that is to be found on the much smaller screen at home.

There isn't much that will entice me out to a movie house nowadays. I did go see Blade Runner 2049, and enjoyed that. For someone like me, who spent countless hours in movie houses, these are sad movie making days. The main audience is kids, and movies are made, in the main, for them. That's the way it is, and I accept it. Their attention span is short, so they get movies that don't need much concentration. Such films are of no interest to me.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 AM
 
11,524 posts, read 3,154,243 times
Reputation: 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm about halfway through the book now, and what hurts it more than anything else is the fact that it is a gay love story written by a straight man, although arguably with repressed desires. The movie is based on the book, but doesn't follow it faithfully from what I've heard. I didn't see your stat of 35,000 copies, but that is proabably past the break even point for the financials on a book release.

The movie was shot for $3.5 million. International and domestic box office are already over 30 million dollars, and with an Oscar win, that stands to quintuple, which in turn will drive book sales through the roof. I doubt I'll see the movie, but I'm certain a lot of people will, not all of them gay.

Both the book and the movie are niche market productions that obviously are attracting a lot of curiosity. If it's not your cup of tea, don't watch it. I love Westerns, my wife can't stand them. She doesn't go. She likes Chick Flicks and goes wiith her friends. Different strokes for different folks, no pun intended.

Fact is, though, the members of the Academy thought the movie was good enough to deserve an oscar. You can debate that fact all day and never resolve anything. Hollywood has been Hollywood since the days of Fatty Arbuckle, with a totally amoral outlook overall, and will likely never change. Don't let Kimmel fool you. Hollywood is nothing but Corporate America - all about the money. And the joke may be on him - Pence might like the movie. A lot. Might be right up his alley, so to speak.
I'm straight, and I saw the movie....but then I make it a point to try see the movies that are Oscar nominated for Best Picture/Actress/Actor/Director/Supporting Actor/Supporting Actress/Original Screenplay/Adapted Screenplay each year (18 total this year, and I saw 15 of them). I saw Call Me By Your Name, and all of the other Best Picture nominees, at the Cinemark Market Street theater in The Woodlands, TX. The Woodlands certainly isn't thought of or known as a gay mecca...probably the opposite. It is known to some as a Tea Party stronghold, and Andrew Breitbart spearheaded some rallies here. Gingrich and Herman Cain had their 2012 debates 2.3 miles from the Cinemark Market Street theater. Most of The Woodlands is in Montgomery County, and Trump got 73% of the vote in Montgomery County. Montgomery County was also the only U.S. county where Trump beat Hillary by more than 100,000 votes.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 AM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,331 posts, read 4,425,089 times
Reputation: 8831
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
How is that the same as some idiot basketball player actually RAPING some chick in the butt and then paying her millions of dollars to prevent the criminal trial from proceeding?
Because Trump has been accused of rape as well, but you folks have your Trump-colored shades on that only believes accusations against folks not like you. Kobe's accuser could have testified. She chose not to. In the eyes of the law, he's not a rapist.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,063 posts, read 10,096,921 times
Reputation: 6979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Because Trump has been accused of rape as well, but you folks have your Trump-colored shades on that only believes accusations against folks not like you. Kobe's accuser could have testified. She chose not to. In the eyes of the law, he's not a rapist.
That damned Due Process again...
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:27 AM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,331 posts, read 4,425,089 times
Reputation: 8831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That damned Due Process again...
The Due Process that Trump lamented that Rob Porter didn't get and the one he proposed to take away from gun owners.

But I'd be very happy if Trump got his due process.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,063 posts, read 10,096,921 times
Reputation: 6979
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
What you call America isn't America, it's China (even Russia is more conservative so I cannot even call it Russia). I want the old America back and I'll get it back....one way or the other!
As I suggested in my previous post, open your own studio and produce whatever you think will sell in the Free Market of Ideas.

'Murica!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top