Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
The Prez is a troll?
That's how they spin his stupid tweets.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I hope it does. Just in time for the fawning over that 'Black Panther' they are sure to pound down the throats of us all.
LOL you sound like a hater.

Black Panther was a good movie. Oscar worthy....eh, maybe for the costumes but other than that I don't see a lot of nominations for it.

Will note on other people's post about white people not supposed to go - it is white people telling you this primarily. I went and sat next to a white man and his kids and we all enjoyed the movie. A majority of the people in attendance when I went were white and I went opening weekend.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:42 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,830,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've been a member of forums, in one shape or another, since the early 2000s. People were NEVER nice on them.

Even when I belonged to mothering forums, people were vicious.
You should see some of the gaming forums I've been a member of. It's worse than 4chan up in there sometimes, been that way for a long time.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,062,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Black Panther was a good movie. Oscar worthy....eh, maybe for the costumes but other than that I don't see a lot of nominations for it.

Will note on other people's post about white people not supposed to go - it is white people telling you this primarily. I went and sat next to a white man and his kids and we all enjoyed the movie. A majority of the people in attendance when I went were white and I went opening weekend.
Oscar worthy for the fact that the people in the movie are majority AA. That in itself these days constitutes "worthy for an Oscar". If you think I'm wrong I don't know what you've been watching for the last 5 years.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Oscar worthy for the fact that the people in the movie are majority AA. That in itself these days constitutes "worthy for an Oscar". If you think I'm wrong I don't know what you've been watching for the last 5 years.
Those darn blacks have really gotten under your skin.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,646,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And this, IMHO, is exactly why the Academy Awards are irrelevant to the majority of the movie-going public.

The silos that have been created between "big" movies and "serious" movies has created a rift that isn't going to be closed any time soon.

It's odd, because it wasn't always this way. "Ben-Hur" was a big, action-type movie - got lots of nominations.
Similarly, "Jaws" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

Popular didn't used to mean ignore at Oscar time.

Movies get released that seem to be made solely to appeal to Academy members.
Of course, they have as much right to exist as any other movie that hits the theaters but for anyone to wonder why the awards shows have become irrelevant, well...

The Academy Awards would do well to take a page out the Tony Awards book and recognize that it is possible for big brash shows and small intimate shows to have equal merit at award time.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And this, IMHO, is exactly why the Academy Awards are irrelevant to the majority of the movie-going public.

The silos that have been created between "big" movies and "serious" movies has created a rift that isn't going to be closed any time soon.

It's odd, because it wasn't always this way. "Ben-Hur" was a big, action-type movie - got lots of nominations.
Similarly, "Jaws" and "Lawrence of Arabia."

Popular didn't used to mean ignore at Oscar time.

Movies get released that seem to be made solely to appeal to Academy members.
Of course, they have as much right to exist as any other movie that hits the theaters but for anyone to wonder why the awards shows have become irrelevant, well...

The Academy Awards would do well to take a page out the Tony Awards book and recognize that it is possible for big brash shows and small intimate shows to have equal merit at award time.
Maybe because big budget action movies lack quality acting so why would they be nominated for that? They still get nominated for costume, makeup, sound, cinematography. So yes, they are included.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,646,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Maybe because big budget action movies lack quality acting so why would they be nominated for that? They still get nominated for costume, makeup, sound, cinematography. So yes, they are included.
I disagree.

And will leave it at that.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I disagree.

And will leave it at that.
Shrug, there's a reason you don't see big budget movies getting any acting nominations. Why should they? That's like all those people that were outraged that Leo wasn't nominated for "Titanic". Really? I love that movie but Leo's acting was horrible. No reason he should've been nominated.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:08 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,062,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You wanna bet that Chadwick You-Know-Who will get a nomination (and likely win) "Best Actor"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies